PS3 Update has crashed my system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by charlesr
    Firmware updates are the spawn of satan, especially if you live in the sticks like me and the power fails regularly with trees falling on the overhead lines.
    Get yourself a UPS. They're about ?50 (up to a couple of hundred for more powerful ones) and can be a lifesaver in a situation like that. It's basically a massive battery that goes into the mains and then you connect your stuff to it, and then if the power goes out you've got about an hour of charge to finish firmware updates, save your game, or whatever. They double up as surge protectors, as well.

The only way to be totally safe with firmware updates is to give a device two flash banks and write-protect one of them so that it can't be modified. That way if the first one gets corrupted by a bad flash it can switch to the protected one and use it to reflash the other one.

The trouble is that twice the flash banks are twice the price, and since the likelihood of a bad flash is actually very slim they tend to risk it and just put the one in. It's also possible to do stuff like run the firmware from a hard drive or something (in which case it's technically not firmware anymore), but that's much slower than from flash memory.

Comment

What did the xbox do for updates? I don't remember anyone having problems with that.

Good luck Phantasmical. Keep us updated.

Comment

I don't know about the PS3 but my router has a 'restore factory settings' which reverts back to the original pre-flashed state. Maybe that's what Neko was talking about though... gl.

Comment

Thanks Guys

I at work till 3am so Ive got to sit here.

Still though the sofware never tried to update, it downloaded the update then crashed, so I reckon theres still some hope

The sooner I can get back to motion controlled Ridge Racer the better!

Comment

I hope you get it all sorted out mate and its just a minor bug because that really is unlucky. I got my fingers crossed for you dude!

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmical
              Thanks Guys

I at work till 3am so Ive got to sit here.

Still though the sofware never tried to update, it downloaded the update then crashed, so I reckon theres still some hope

The sooner I can get back to motion controlled Ridge Racer the better!
              hope it works out for you m8, good luck and let us know what happens

Comment

I was flashing one of our dev kits at work today, and I think the FAQ I was reading mentioned how to fix a problem like this.

Assuming its the same for retail machines (and you haven't sorted it by then), I'll try to dig it out for you tomorrow.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

For future reference guys, best sticking to the software updates that will undoubtable be put on game discs in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr
                      What did the xbox do for updates? I don't remember anyone having problems with that.
                      The dash was saved to the hard drive, as anyone who has a chipped one can attest. No flashing involved, which will be why there weren't any problems with dash updates killing machines.

Comment

Updates here as well m8 if you need it again
                        (JPN its a proper link from NCS to official site Ive got it sat here myself)

Comment

Sorry to drag off topic, but...

1) Can you download the update on PC to memory stick and install from memory stick? Better than trusting an internet connection doing it on the fly.

2) Any updates for the US console?

Comment

No luck

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33
                              Sorry to drag off topic, but...

1) Can you download the update on PC to memory stick and install from memory stick? Better than trusting an internet connection doing it on the fly.

2) Any updates for the US console?
                              yep, thats what i did. Don't forget to format the mem stick tho.

Comment

I'm getting nervous now, mine is turning up tomorrow. I'm assuming a USB hard drive will be OK for the update?

Comment

Working...
                                X