Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building a New PC

Hi,

Can someone give me a rough estimate as to how much a new PC + Monitor would cost (primarily for gaming) if i built it myself?

Darryl

For the base unit, you could get a nice gaming PC for around ?600 - ?800, monitor depends on whether you want CRT of TFT.

Comment

A PC that is primarily for gaming needs to be mid to top end spec.
      You're looking in the region of 700-1000 pounds for something decent.

At the end of the day it costs as much as you are willing to pay.
      The better approach is to set yourself a budget and buy parts to fit into said budget.

Comment

I just built an Athlon XP 1800+ , 512MB SDRAM , Geforce 4 MX 128mb, 60gig HD with all the other bits for ?175 without a monitor ( I have spares lying about) , this system is perfectly capable of running UT2K3 at near full whack without any slow down (yet to 3dmark it tho), I reckon I could build a barton 2.8ghz with 1 gig odd DDR and a decent radeon for ?300 (without dvd drives , keyboard etc, cus most have them knocking about) so , if you wanna but second hand (most things have 3 years warrenty anyway) then you can get a real bargain.

Comment

I should've been more specific about what i'm looking for, i'm currently using a P4 2.4Ghz laptop with 256mb DDR ram & a 32mb Geforce 4Go 460. It can play most current games (e.g. EVE Online) with no trouble except a bit of lag sometimes but i wan't something to play the upcoming games (Halo PC etc.)

It must be a Pentium 4 system, with DDR Ram and have a good graphics card, also the Monitor must be TFT though it doesn't have to be massive.

It also needs to have internal slots for 4 or 5 extra hard drives though i don't want the tower to be too big.

Thanks for the replies,

Darryl

Comment

How desperate are you ?

Reason i ask is that late August we get the revised boards that can take first batch of Prescott chips (read p5's)

May be worth hanging on for !

If not i have a Abit IC7 with 3.0C p4 with 1 gig Dual DDR 400 (Mushkin) Raddy 9700 pro and 120gb SATA drive.

Needless to say it fly's and im very happy with it !

Whatever you do go for a P4C chip (800 fsb) and DUAL DDR.

Value for money wise the 2.4c is very good and the Abit IS7 make a good combo. OCUK are very competitative on prices on these parts and have good after sales service (i also shop with them as i use the forums alot and like to give a little back !)

Hope this helps !

Comment

I'm not that desperate though i'm just looking for a system that will play upcoming games. I would have to first sell my Laptop so by that time the P5 boards may be out.

Comment

Whats pulling the machine down is the GFX card, laptops arnt gaming machines, thats it With a better graphics card that would run all games well released in the next year, doom 3 included.

Comment

Originally posted by shogun2k
                  Whats pulling the machine down is the GFX card, laptops arnt gaming machines, thats it With a better graphics card that would run all games well released in the next year, doom 3 included.
                  I agree, but as far as i know the card can't be upgraded

Comment

yep, Im pretty sure you cant

Comment

Anyway, now that i've been a bit more specific about my needs, can anyone provide more estimates?

Comment

Originally posted by Shimmyhill
                        How desperate are you ?

Reason i ask is that late August we get the revised boards that can take first batch of Prescott chips (read p5's)

May be worth hanging on for !

If not i have a Abit IC7 with 3.0C p4 with 1 gig Dual DDR 400 (Mushkin) Raddy 9700 pro and 120gb SATA drive.

Needless to say it fly's and im very happy with it !

Whatever you do go for a P4C chip (800 fsb) and DUAL DDR.

Value for money wise the 2.4c is very good and the Abit IS7 make a good combo. OCUK are very competitative on prices on these parts and have good after sales service (i also shop with them as i use the forums alot and like to give a little back !)

Hope this helps !
                        listen to the man hes talking a lot of sense (apart from his estimate about the prescott chips).

I should've been more specific about what i'm looking for, i'm currently using a P4 2.4Ghz laptop with 256mb DDR ram & a 32mb Geforce 4Go 460. It can play most current games (e.g. EVE Online) with no trouble except a bit of lag sometimes but i wan't something to play the upcoming games (Halo PC etc.)

It must be a Pentium 4 system, with DDR Ram and have a good graphics card, also the Monitor must be TFT though it doesn't have to be massive.

It also needs to have internal slots for 4 or 5 extra hard drives though i don't want the tower to be too big.

Thanks for the replies,

Darryl
                        if you want a board with dual ddr, 800fsb and the ability for multiple HDD's then go for the gigabyte GA-8KNXP (the board i just bought) top board rammed with features, and addons are doing a bundle with a 2.4Ghz800fsb for 300 (but i paid less).

Comment

I'm probably going to get it done at a local shop as i don't want to mess it up. My budget is only around ?500 - ?650 (inc. Monitor) so i was wondering which parts of the computer wouldn't be essential and could be upgraded at a later date?

Comment

IF you can get a xp1.8 - 2.4 with 512 ddr and a decent graphics card you will have a very good games machine, there is no need fo anything above a 2.2ghz athlon really, unless youre doing rendering or data mining, no games want or require that speed of system .

Comment

What is the cheapest graphics card that falls into the decent category and will play games such as Halo for PC and other upcoming games?

Comment

Working...
                              X