No announcement yet.

Building a New PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

something like the geforce fx 5600 or ati raedon 9600 should be ok for the latest games

Comment

My budget has increased now, my laptop sold for more than i expected. I went to the shop where i'm going to have it built and was talking about Motherboards and he said the were using GigaByte Motherboards with AMD processors. I know nothing about motherboards or cases so could someone tell me if those are decent boards?

Also, are any of the following graphics cards good?

GF4 Ti4800SE 128mb
      GF4 Ti4200 64mb
      ATI Radeon 8500 64mb

Or would i be better buying one seperately then just taking it to the shop when it's being built?

Thanks.

Comment

Whilst still pretty good, all 3 of those cards (especially the radeon 8500) are pretty old now. You'd be best buying a newer card for a freshly built gaming machine.

Depending on your budget a Radeon 9500 pro, 9600 pro (make sure it's the pro version) could be a good buy or if you're really splashing it, maybe a Radeon 9700pro/9800 or one of the top range Geforce FXs like the 5900 (big bucks).

Comment

gigabyte motherboards are very good i use one on my pc.

go for one of these, if they do gigabyte boards

Comment

Originally posted by Fire
            Whilst still pretty good, all 3 of those cards (especially the radeon 8500) are pretty old now. You'd be best buying a newer card for a freshly built gaming machine.

Depending on your budget a Radeon 9500 pro, 9600 pro (make sure it's the pro version) could be a good buy or if you're really splashing it, maybe a Radeon 9700pro/9800 or one of the top range Geforce FXs like the 5900 (big bucks).
            I don't really have a massive amount to spend, how much do those cards you suggested cost? i looked on Dabs but couldn't find them. I just want a card that is generally better than a 32mb Geforce 4Go (my laptop's card).

There is a card on dabs listed as this:

Radeon 9200 256MB DDR AGP RP DVI VO

Is that any good?

I need to budget the whole system as i don't have a job so the only money i have available is the cash from the sale of my Laptop.

Thanks.

Comment

Nah, you wouldn't want that.

For a new gaming system it just wouldn't cut it and the 256mb of RAM is pretty pointless on an underpowered card such as the 9200.

I think that for a new system to play the big hitters like Half Life 2 in the coming months, a Radeon 9600pro would be a good choice if you can set apart about ?130 for it.

Check one out Here for ?126.90 inc. Vat.

Building a gaming machine is an expensive busienss. You can't really skimp on a graphics card in favour of other parts as in most games these days, a decent graphics card is far more important than a super fast CPU or huge amount of fast RAM. Maybe it'd be worth scaling down other parts to get a more balanced system for your budget.

I also know it's tempting to go to a local shop to get a new PC but in my experience, most of the time you won't get very good value for money or top quality parts either. You'd be wise to ask for the exact model numbers of all the components in a proposed system and price them up/read about them on the internet before parting with your cash. What local PC Seller x says is the latest and greatest component can sometimes be far from it

Comment

Someone else suggested a Ti4200. What is the lowest speed AMD processor that would be okay for gaming / how much DDR ram?

Thanks,

Darryl

Comment

well go for a amd athlon 2400+ thats a 2gig chip, there about 65 quid now and about 512 ddr ram should do.

what pc games you play ?

Comment

Rollercoaster Tycoon 2
                    EVE Online
                    Elite Force II
                    Championship Manager 4
                    Fifa 2003

I prefer management sims to 3D stuff but i do want to play upcoming 3D games like Halo PC & Railroad Tycoon 3

Comment

Is it difficult to build your own PC? I've upgraded hardware in the past (DVD-R drives, ram, TV cards etc) but i haven't installed a new motherboard or setup a PC from scratch.

Thanks.

Comment

I would recommend http://www.computerprices.co.uk to find the cheapest supplier of a component. They could save you a bit.

BTW, any new news on the next series of CPUs from AMD and Intel? I'm especially interested in the new Barton Athlon cores.

Comment

Working...
                        X