This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apologies for the noob question.

I currently have the homebrew channel & Gecko OS installed on my Wii running 3.4 firmware. I quite fancy buying BIT.TRIP BEAT from the store but am being prompted to upgrade to the latest firmware.

Can I safely do this without losing the homebrew stuff?

Thanks!

Comment

Yes you should be fine as you already have it, it'll install 4.0.

Comment

Originally posted by Daragon View Post
        My canon digital ixus seems to have some form of protection as I can't copy anything to the SD card while it's inside the camera

Anyone know if it's possible to get around it somehow?
        Same problem on mine.
        Just get one of these: http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Memory-Car...HC-Card-Reader

Comment

Thanks for that Charles, ordered

Comment

Originally posted by tom-nook View Post
            Apologies for the noob question.

I currently have the homebrew channel & Gecko OS installed on my Wii running 3.4 firmware. I quite fancy buying BIT.TRIP BEAT from the store but am being prompted to upgrade to the latest firmware.

Can I safely do this without losing the homebrew stuff?

Thanks!
            The latest version of GeckoOS can extract the update IOS files from the disc without actually updating, so you should do this.

Comment

Originally posted by honeymustard View Post
              Yes you should be fine as you already have it, it'll install 4.0.
              Cheers for confirming

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
              The latest version of GeckoOS can extract the update IOS files from the disc without actually updating, so you should do this.
              Sorry if my 1st post wasn't too clear - BIT.TRIP is a Wiiware release so there is no disc. I'm guessing it's a case of either accepting the upgrade or not buying the game....
              Last edited by tom-nook; 15-05-2009, 16:52.

Comment

^ I guess you could borrow/rent a game with the 4.0 update included, and use GeckoOS to install it =/

Comment

You could always pirate the game and send Nintendo a fiver in an envelope.

Comment

Anyone know if AnyRegionChanger works on a JAP Wii running 4.0J?

Comment

In addition to my last post, I just realised that upgrading to 4.0 might not be quite so bad anymore, now we have the 4.0 banner exploit and Bootmii. I still wouldn't recommend it, better to just update the IOS's, but it depends how far you want to go.

Comment

Finally got round to soft modding my wii this weekend and have got gecko os 1.9 running via homebrew channel.

I have region free switched on and when I tried a few of my US gamecube originals they seemed to work fine but I could not get any of my JPN originals to work properly at all.

Is that some inherent problem, menu setting or the app not being 100% compatible across regions?

It was a joy to play F Zero GX through the Wii in component though

Comment

Is it possible to run Wii games via the Disc Channel and bypass software updates by installing the latest IOS' with Wad Manager? Or do the actual IOS' work in conjunction with a program like Gecko OS? (i.e. Gecko OS is required to run Wii games along with the latest IOS')

Comment

You can just install the individual IOS files using WAD Manager and avoid the need to update, but GeckoOS can now simply extract the required IOS games from discs anyway, so the process is much simpler now (and less of a legal grey area). Once the required IOS is installed, there should be no reason why you can't then boot from Disc Channel (although I am 300 miles away from my Wii, so I've not tested this).

Comment

That's what I though at first.

I was having trouble booting up Punch Out (US) on my JPN Wii using Gecko OS1.9.1. All I got was a black screen. After reading up on various forums, I switched my Wii's region to US using anyregion changer and I've installed the latest IOS' (38,53,55). Punch Out now works but only through Gecko. Running the game through the Disc Channel requires an update and I don't know why since I have the latest IOS' installed.

Anyway, so basically if you run a game through Gecko, then manual installation of the IOS' isn't necessary, right?

Comment

I'm thinking about giving the Homebrew stuff a shot. However, I'm wondering how much hassle is involved in terms of avoiding bricking or updates from Nintendo, etc. In short, how much maintenance and vigilance does it require?

Comment

Working...
                                X