Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another quick question, according to a post on gamefaqs/gamespot, Metroid Other M has firmware version 4.3 on the disk. Checking my system menu, I'm already on 4.3E but the game believes otherwise and prompts me to update before it will load.

Anyone know what the problem is? Am I safe to run the update on the disk? I have the latest version of HBC apparently (1.0.8) although I don't remember the last time I updated it.
    Last edited by Daragon; 31-12-2010, 17:33.

Comment

Dunno how much help this is but my Wii was deffo on 4.3e and Mario All Stars insisted on upgrading the firmware again to... 4.3e. Who knows mate.

Comment

Are you still able to run the homebrew channel or do you not go for all that stuff?

Comment

Gonna have to redo my wii again soon its been about 10months since last time. Should turn it on really

Comment

Daragon, I would just use Gecko OS for the time being. Or does it still prompt using even that?

Comment

Does the BootMii restore wipe the savegames from the Wii? Annoyingly I've lost my progress on Mario Galaxy 2 and no doubt a bunch of others.

Comment

If you mean Bootmii NAND restore then yes it will revert your Wii to the state at which it was backed up.

Comment

I just thought I'd add that if you don't want to play through it again depending on how far you got there is a feature in Config USB loader - http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=147638#2

- Per game configuration of Video mode, Language, Ocarina cheating

Obviously you wouldn't want to use this all the time but it can download a list of hacks much like hacks.ini for each game such as 'all levels unlocked' for SMG2 so you could play through from where you left off.

Comment

Yes, I suppose Ocarina is a good idea. I was hoping to find someone with a save file – all the ones on GameFAQs are 100% complete, whereas I had just finished collecting the initial 120 stars.

Thanks for posting, this may be my best option. I had always assumed that the NAND backup was simply system files. Next time I think I'll make a current backup before restoring, especially if I'm unsure the softmod is the cause!

Comment

Originally posted by Daragon View Post
                      Are you still able to run the homebrew channel or do you not go for all that stuff?
                      Apologies for the late response mate.

Homebrew channel was still present after the update. Note that I only have the Homebrew channel on there. I never went any further than that in my Wii hackery as it all looked too hairy!

Comment

Rightho guys I've sourced a copy of Smash Bros Brawl (Thanks Topper ) & while I'm waiting for it to arrive so I can redo the soft mod I was wondering if anyone can give me a quick list of the recommended apps to load so that I can avoid update issues in the future.

I don't really want to trawl back through 60 odd pages to find the posts I need

Thanks in advance

Neil

Comment

If you want to keep it simple, GeckoOS will load all games, and automatically extract the updated IOS files (system files used by games) from the game, updating the required game files without requiring you to install an updated firmware.

For the more adventurous, using StartPatch to patch your system menu to make it region free, block updates etc. is the way to go, but that does require you to keep on top of updated IOS files. Most people can't be bothered with that, so GeckoOS is ideal.

Comment

I'm guessing you need SBB as you have updated to 4.3. This will mean your boot2 has probably been updated to v4 which means you have lost the ability to install bootmii except as an IOS which offers little brick protection so be careful.
                            Have a look for Modmii which is run on your PC to build an SD card to install from.

Comment

The only reason I update my Wii is because I buy a lot of WiiWare stuff. Now that I've got used to it, I recommend DOPMii. It has a database of all the IOS files and channels and whatnot. All you do is find the one you want, with the mostly accurate descriptions offered, and hit the install button – it then can download direct from the NUS servers.

For the latest shop channel I simply had to download the new Shop Channel v20 and IOS56 (I think it was).

EDIT: ModMii is maybe a little more powerful but it also comes with attendant risks. The most annoying thing on my end is that it makes my Homebrew channel flip 180º when it overwrites IOS36!

Comment

Thanks guys.

Think simple is the way forward for me...if I managed to balls it up & install an update before I'm bound to do something similar again lol

Think I'll start with GeckoOS & then just look into the other apps as I go & once I feel a bit more confident I'll maybe have a little tinker

Thanks again for the advice.

Neil

Comment

Working...
                                X