Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

28" widescreen, ~?400 budget, any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

28" widescreen, ~?400 budget, any suggestions?

This one recently got 5 out of 5 in What Video and I like the look of this one. Only need 1 RGB scart cause I have an Argos splitter, flat screen is a must, as is Pal/NTSC playback.

Anyone got any favorites or suggestions? I could pay up to ?500 if needs be but if it's under 4 then bonus

Well you could have a read of this thread http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/viewtopic....er=asc&start=0

It looks like all us widescreen tv owners are being ripped off...

Comment

Originally posted by Square
      Well you could have a read of this thread http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/viewtopic....er=asc&start=0

It looks like all us widescreen tv owners are being ripped off...
      I knew it

There's nothing wrong with games in wide screen mate because they don't have borders steeling 4 inches off my 28 incher

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzla
        This one recently got 5 out of 5 in What Video and I like the look of this one. Only need 1 RGB scart cause I have an Argos splitter, flat screen is a must, as is Pal/NTSC playback.

Anyone got any favorites or suggestions? I could pay up to ?500 if needs be but if it's under 4 then bonus
        I have the Toshiba TV mate and the picture looks good to me

The only problem i had is that the stand was tatty so i had to send for a new one but like i said the TV itself is great

This is the only wide screen TV ive owned so i can't compare it to any other brands but i heard that Toshiba are the leaders so i went for this un

Comment

I got a Toshiba TV about 2 weeks ago and I must say its quality! Progressive scan, NTSC/PAL, component input, RGB through Scart, Flat Screen and 100Hz.

I got it all for ?460 too 8) ?240 off the shop prices! I know its over your budget but I would consider that extra ?60 for this TV.

Check it out here:

Thats the place I ordered it from and I had no troubles at all with them. Very good service! Delivered within 5 days too and I ordered it on a Saturday. 8)

Comment

I got a Toshiba TV about 2 weeks ago and I must say its quality! Progressive scan, NTSC/PAL, component input, RGB through Scart, Flat Screen and 100Hz.

I got it all for ?460 too ?240 off the shop prices! I know its over your budget but I would consider that extra ?60 for this TV.

Check it out here:

How does it perform? are you happy with it?
            I was going to save for a 32" or 36" tv but itd take me ****ing ages.
            That looks a damn good price for a tv with everything exept pal prog scan though. Could get one of these much sooner though.
            How do the GC, PS2 look on it etc?

Comment

Why not save up more, then you can enjoy PAL Progressive scan as well. I contacted Toshiba about the TV. I am hoping there is one to buy in November and I can manage to save up 900 pounds for it. As I am annoyed with my poxy 24 inches widescreen TV.

Comment

Originally posted by demon9k

I got it all for ?460 too 8) ?240 off the shop prices! I know its over your budget but I would consider that extra ?60 for this TV.

Check it out here:

Thats the place I ordered it from and I had no troubles at all with them. Very good service! Delivered within 5 days too and I ordered it on a Saturday. 8)
                Wow, that seems spretty damn amazing. I've just bought a DVD player with component out as well so that would be sweet! What sort of hardware would I need going into the TV to take advantage of progressive scan?

Comment

It performs very well. I use Sky through the RF socket cos its upstairs and the scart goes into my down stairs TV.

I use the component input with my Jap/US cube and its a perfect picture. Very clear. PS2 and Xbox are through RGB socket and they are just as good. Xbox clearest of the 2 but thats cos my PS2 cable is a cheapy RGB cable, still looks good though.

Progressive scan works with my GC, I need a component input for my PS2 to see if that works but that would mean buying a component switcher and they are damn expensive so I think I will just leave it. Plus its only Tekken 4 I have seen that has progressive scan mode.

For your DVD player you should get a component monster cable. Then its match up the colours. You will also need the audio outputs for right and left speaker channels but you might get those with the monster cable. You will get these at any shop that has TV's basically.

Comment

Are you sure it progessive scan for both NTSC and PAL?

As I know it has PS for NTSC, but I didn't realise it was for PAL aswell.

Comment

Yeah the TV only supports progressive scan NTSC but the component inputs at the back should accept RGB PAL signals. Do DVD players in the UK even come with progressive scan though? I can't seem to see it any place.

Comment

Do DVD players in the UK even come with progressive scan though? I can't seem to see it any place.
                        Most high end ones are now coming with both ntsc and pal progressive scan, and some priced around ?250 price are coming with ntsc prog scan.
                        There a Harman-Kardon player priced ?350 that offers both pal and ntsc progressive.
                        So yeah they're starting to come through.

Comment

My DVD player doesn't support Prog scan, but it's got component out, is there a noticable difference over using this as opposed to RGB scart?

Comment

For what its worth, my parents have just bought the Thomson, and claim that it looks pretty spiffing. I've not seen it myself, but my brother (also pretty picky about such things) didn't have anything bad to say about it.

One good thing about it is that the speakers are far superior to any other built-in ones in this price bracket, so if you're not using external sound thats definitely a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzla
                              My DVD player doesn't support Prog scan, but it's got component out, is there a noticable difference over using this as opposed to RGB scart?
                              Depends on your setup, really - as its just three phono leads you could always try it out. In theory they are the same quality, but in practice things might affect it. The shielding on individual phono leads is much better than the R,G and B strands of a SCART, so if you're getting a little bit of ghosting or ringing you might find it goes away.

Comment

Working...
                              X