No announcement yet.

PS3 media centre problem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yep Ive got that set, and when I search for media servers it is unable to locate anything...bit strange really.

Comment

Have you gone back to WMP11? 9 is no good for DLNA. On the PC is media sharing enabled?
      There is a youtube video that might help too but as you have changed your ISP and I guess your router this is where the problem lies.

Comment

When you get it working with WMP, try the PS3 media server suggestion. Or try Tversity. Either one of these is going to be better than WMP.

Comment

Is the PS3 appearing as a connected device in WMP?

Comment

Ive gone back to WMP 11, and have enabled the media sharing option.
            PS3 isnt appearing as a connected device in WMP.

Comment

Ive just followed 'strolls' suggestion to send a ping message from the laptop to the ps3, as a way of checking if they are capable of communicating with each other, and it appears that they are able to.

Not sure what to do now, and wondering if there is something obvious which Im missing.

Comment

Originally posted by baad bwoy View Post
                Ive just followed 'strolls' suggestion to send a ping message from the laptop to the ps3, as a way of checking if they are capable of communicating with each other, and it appears that they are able to.
                That's great. That rules out network problems.

Originally posted by baad bwoy View Post
                Not sure what to do now, and wondering if there is something obvious which Im missing.
                Sorry I can't offer more helpful advice. I used a Linux-based media server, and it just appeared on my PS3 without me having to tell the PS3 to search for it. I haven't used it in a while though and a PS3 update has since caused it to disappear - I know that I need to update the media server software, I just haven't got round to it. But I'm inclined to think that if all is working well, searching from the PS3 should be unnecessary.

Google brings up a couple of HOWTO articles on this - it might be worth going through the first couple (the Playstation Boards ones) step-by-step:

Specifically:
                HOW TO: Media Sharing between PS3 and WMP11 (Windows Media Player
                FINALY RESOLVED WMP11 NOT Detecting PS3
                Resolved problem with WMP11 for PS3 media server

Also some at AV Forums, AVS Forums & hometheaterforum.com

Honestly, this is the kind of thing that I could easily imagine a customer calling me for, and I can imagine spending like 2 hours messing around with it, only for it to "suddenly" start working. I could imagine that, after all that time at the keyboard, sometimes I'd understand what the result is completely (and sometimes in less time) but other times I'd only have ? an idea of what was going on, and not being 100% sure how to fix it if it broke again the next day.

So, sitting here and not able to see your computer's screen, it's pretty much impossible to suggest more. Some computer problems are just really opaque.

I think you've really got to go through lots of articles on the net and be really systematic about it. We all sometimes try fixing things by clicking buttons & unticking boxes randomly and giving it a reboot (I don't say this to insult you, because I do this for a living, and I do genuinely fix things pretty much like that sometimes) but when the problem is showing itself to be a little bit intractable you have to settle down and be really methodical about it. Even if you don't know what you're doing, it's probably best to plunk through steps of instructions one at a time until you find the one that fixes it.

Comment

Thanks for everyones help, have spent last hr or so following some of those guides...still no luck. Might see if I can get the tversity prog to work, as am feeling a bit stumped at present

Comment

PS3 Media Server is by far the best thing out there for this IMO.
                    I had the same probs as you with WMP. After 8 weeks or so one day the laptop detected the PS3. By then I wasn't interested in using it.
                    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

yep its a pity but nothing I can do at present!

Comment

Just a quick update if anyone is interested. Having just bought an old style xbox and having manage to network it with my laptop yesterday.
                        I had switched on my ps3 this afternoon, was just surfing the web with ps3 on in background, and a notification from windows media player came up, something communicating with it wanting to share the media. I wasnt sure what was going on, but thought it might be connected with the xbox, so I allowed it.
                        After a little thought I wondered if this was the ps3 communicating with WMP, and lo and behold it was...and I now have media sharing capability. Really pleased but not sure why it works now, having been frustrated previously in my efforts to get this working. All seems a bit strange really!

Comment

Working...
                        X