• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by replicant
    they do?
    Yep.

Comment

Back to the screenies,

I like the spider head that is dropping down on a thread. That should make for some super scary drop into my face type moments.

Also has anyone noticed the slight glow surrounding the skeleton almost like an etheral body? What's all that about, some kind of force field or just a ghostly impression of the original person?

Comment

Its a funny world, but somehow www.penny-arcade.com seem to read my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by JRMacumber
          they do?
          Yep.
          This trolling is kinda rich coming from the man who moans about people butting into Halo 2 threads, and posts a can "I ignore some people because their comments ruin my threads" message.

Comment

Out of the three people who referenced Penny Arcade, I'm the one you call out. Nice. Selective, but nice. As for trolling, I really don't know if I'd call saying Penny Arcade finally made a humorous comic as trolling. But, if you're thin skinned, I guess you can see it that way.

Comment

Shut yer whinging, with you two around its like being at primary school.

The pics look ok, but after seeing the initial blast of screens, they just seem a bit underwhelming, although the spider scaling up the wall should be good if they use that feature well.

Comment

Originally posted by JRMacumber
                Out of the three people who referenced Penny Arcade, I'm the one you call out. Nice. Selective, but nice. As for trolling, I really don't know if I'd call saying Penny Arcade finally made a humorous comic as trolling. But, if you're thin skinned, I guess you can see it that way.
                whatever...

Comment

Originally posted by Roost
                  Shut yer whinging, with you two around its like being at primary school.

The pics look ok, but after seeing the initial blast of screens, they just seem a bit underwhelming, although the spider scaling up the wall should be good if they use that feature well.
                  They do need to show more action shots, or directly more gameplay shots. I definately agree there. However I really can't see how the actual engine itself looks underwhelming.

Comment

Underwhelming compared to a Square rendered film perhaps, but not compared to previous PC/console games. It's a tour de force of image quality, make no mistake.

Comment

I didn't mean to say they were worse, just underwhelming compared to the shots of it that came out before as they compeltely blew me away.

Comment

I wouldn't say underwhelming. Not in the least. I just think, for a game as dark and gritty as Doom 3, that the engine should have been... less shiny? The monsters look too clean and smooth, I guess is what I'm feeling. All of the characters and environments look exceptional, but it's all just too fresh and clean, and I wish they had done it so that it looked grittier, more... horrific. Perhaps with some kinda noise filter ala Silent Hill would have been in order.

Comment

I think the engine itself is marvellous, but the vast majority of the enemies we've seen so far look too clinical and sculpted - like they've just stepped out of a 3D modelling program rather than lurched their way up from hell itself.

Why not have the head spiders rotting, as though these are decapitated bonces that have been sitting around for a good long while before they sprouted legs? We don't just need decay and pulsating growths on the scenery, we need it on the monsters too. As the previews have discussed such corruption breeding in the walls of the station then it's obviously something the engine is capable of. I can't see what's stopping them from working it into the creatures, as it would make such a huge difference.

Comment

I can see what you guys mean about the overall clean effect of the monsters. From my experience with the alpha this isn't really visible while playing - others might disagree.

One thing not commented on is that parts of the characters create shadows over their own body. e.g. the revenant's head creates shadows over its chest. I dont think this has been present in an engine before.

Comment

I'm not saying they are, but the shininess everyone has noted gives them the air of a Photoshop knock up. The way the monsters don't feel part of there environments and all...

Comment

I can see what you guys mean about the overall clean effect of the monsters. From my experience with the alpha this isn't really visible while playing - others might disagree.

One thing not commented on is that parts of the characters create shadows over their own body. e.g. the revenant's head creates shadows over its chest. I dont think this has been present in an engine before.
                                "Self" shadows are in the Turbine engine used in Asheron's Call2. It's a fantastic effect. They're not as accomplished as the Doom3 or HL2 implementations though.

Comment

Working...
                                X