Grim Fandango and other Lucasarts Adventure games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grim Fandango and other Lucasarts Adventure games

I just played through Grim Fandango again and it is the best adventure game I have ever played. But its only just better then Monkey Island 1 & 2, Sam and Max and Day of the Tentacle. I heard they are making sequels to all of these but to be honest after Monkey Island 4 I don't have high hopes. Anyway, Grim Fandango has such good characters,story lines, music and puzzles that makes it so good. its the closest a game has come to feeling like a movie in my view, though not all games have to feel like movies to be great, just adventure games, if you know what I mean.

I never did get Grim Fandango after, though I played the demo. May have to grab it then.

Thing is, I found its 3D a little awkward, being an old fart 2D adventure gaming bloke. I've never understood why they didn't plough on and do immensely high resolution 2D, taking advantage of modern PCs. I guess you 2D fighter guys think the same thing, why the compulsion to switch to 3D.

For the same reason, I loved MI3 but couldn't get to grips with 4. It was funny seeing Guybursh etc realised in 3D, but it was a bit meh to control like.

imho

</old fart>

Comment

God I love the MI games....

Sigh... they don't make em like that any more...

Comment

I found myself appreciating the breath-taking style and panache of Grim Fandango but I never did get into it much as a game, for some reason I found Manny to be an uncharasmatic and uninteresting character ( despite instances like him starting out as a cleaner then one year later owning the entire bar ).

I loved the Mexican 'festival of the dead' theme and the very individual graphics yet this doesn't rank near Monkey Island or Full Throttle on my lists, which is something I feel strangely guilty about sometimes as I can see the ammount of love and detail that was poured into it.

Comment

I lost my Grin Fandango... the only game I lost, and the only adventure game I ever had that I never completed. *sulks*

You know, for some reason I thought that MI4 was far better than MI3. MI3 just felt... flat. It certainly didn't even remotely live up to the first two. I think that I wasn't expecting much from MI4, so I was pleasantly suprised. Pity that Murray got such a small role, though.

Oh, and Jezzace... if it's any consolation, the Full Throttle sequel got canned, and there aren't any sequels planned for Day of the Tentacle (my fav!! <3<3<3) or Monkey Island, IIRC.
          Sam & Max 2 just has a couple of renders at the moment, so... well, we'll see.

Comment

Broken Sword 1 and 2 are the best point and click games

Comment

Grim Fandango was superb, a couple of minor irritating puzzles but most of them were brilliant and the humour & style were inspired. One of the few games I've completed.

Must get Full Throttle some day.

Comment

The LucasArts adventures were what I grew up playing. Sam & Max in particular introduced me to a whole new type of humor (I managed to bag myself a free copy of the comic/graphic novel compilation after playing the game), Day of the Tentacle's Chuck Jones style backgrounds still look better than a lot of 3D today in my opinion, and the Monkey Island games are just brilliant (save the fourth which I haven't played but visually looks terrible to me).

Broken Sword I also thought was pretty fun, but was just missing the humor.

Comment

My mate is desperately looking for the old Lucas Arts point and clicks to cheer up his otherwise dull days

Comment

LucasArts had some of the best adventure games ever made, but Sierra will forever own my heart.

Comment

i picked up GF for ?1.99 in hmv's sale last week.

Comment

Originally posted by JRMacumber
                        LucasArts had some of the best adventure games ever made, but Sierra will forever own my heart.
                        Hell no! Lucasarts adventures was so consistently good... never see anything like Phantasmagoria being made by LA...

Comment

Originally posted by Chadruharazzeb
                          Originally posted by JRMacumber
                          Hell no! Lucasarts adventures was so consistently good... never see anything like Phantasmagoria being made by LA...
                          I didn't say that Sierra only made perfect games. I'd never intimate that at all. But, what I *am* saying is that I cut my point-and-click teeth (thought at the time there was no pointing, only arrow keys and text) gaming with Sierra's titles. King's Quest, Space Quest, LLS, and then later on with Gabriel Knight (my all time favorite adventure game series). They were my first, and so they have a place that no other company can have.

Comment

Lucasarts. Consistently.

Now, those are two words you don't generally hear regarding them in the same sentence these days.

But back in their day, Lucasarts carved out some fine games. Another underrated gem in my opinion is The Dig.

Comment

I didn't say that Sierra only made perfect games. I'd never intimate that at all. But, what I *am* saying is that I cut my point-and-click teeth (thought at the time there was no pointing, only arrow keys and text) gaming with Sierra's titles. King's Quest, Space Quest, LLS, and then later on with Gabriel Knight (my all time favorite adventure game series). They were my first, and so they have a place that no other company can have.
                              Me too. I finished Leisure Suit Larry and Space Quest 2 from Sierra long before Monkey Island was released from Lucasarts. They introduced the principle of the graphic adventure.

Comment

Working...
                              X