No announcement yet.

Problems browsing web

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jamie, if changing to openDNS doesn't help, then it must be local to your machine or router. But if it's the same on your phone, then must be router.

Almost all wireless routers I have tried are deficient in some way. Currently using this one. It's great except the firewall has to be set to medium otherwise some website pictures fail to materialise (on high).

Comment

Firstly I'd like to thank you for your help with all this. You've all been great in helping and very patient in trying to help me resolve this.

Now if you'll excuse me a moment...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

HOSTICAN YOU USELESS BUNCH OF ****ING ****ERS!!!!!
      HOW THE **** DO YOU MANAGE TO BLOCK ME OUT OF MY
      OWN WEBSITE WITH YOUR FIREWALL AFTER ME REPEATEDLY ASKING YOU IF THERE WAS A PROBLEM YOUR END!!!

TWO ****ING DAYS AND COUNTLESS PEOPLE'S TIME
      YOU'VE WASTED YOU ABSOLUTE SHOWER OF DOG ****ERS!!!

And relax...

Yes, despite me asking several times they'd actually blocked my IP. I've just had an email back from someone who had more than the one brain cell required to get a job with them and I can now access the site.

No wonder everyone was baffled by this - they actually locked me out of my own website.

There is no facepalm strong enough for this, but this will have to do

If someone could try and help shinobi after I hijacked this thread, I'm sure he'd appreciate it

He might have even picked up some tips from today's saga!
      Last edited by Spatial; 07-02-2011, 14:07.

Comment

hahaha

[note to future self: don't ever use HOSTICAN]

no worries mate, sometimes it comes down to proving its not your fault
        ...glad your network misery is over!

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post

since installing a new router/modem, I'm having problems browsing and accessing the web.
          Gotta be the new modem, try putting your machine temporarily into the dmz or turning off firewall to see if thats the issue. Did the new modem come from a new ISP, or are you with the same guys?

Comment

Originally posted by Kaido View Post
            Gotta be the new modem, try putting your machine temporarily into the dmz or turning off firewall to see if thats the issue. Did the new modem come from a new ISP, or are you with the same guys?
            It's still the same ISP but a new router/modem. You mean turning off the router's firewall (I assume you don't mean my software firewall)? Pardon my ignorance but what's the dmz?

Thanks for helping out.

spatial-glad you got it sorted in the end mate.

Comment

Yeah mate, the router's firewall may be playing up, although this is pretty unlikely (presumably your software one hasnt changed at all)

The DMZ is just an option on many routers to switch off the firewall for particular machines.

Something else to try is speed tests to see if your bandwidth is screwed. Also try a wired connection if you are connecting wirelessly.

EDIT: Also is it broken for all devices eg. xbox live and web browsing devices?
              Last edited by Kaido; 07-02-2011, 16:29.

Comment

Ok, will try all those suggestions, and thanks.

When I can connect to speedtest, it gives me decent results, suggesting bandwith isn't a problem.

Also, Windows updates are going through fine, it's just browsing.

Xbox Live-haven't even tried, my subscription has been going to waste for months now.

Comment

What ISP are you using? My wild guesses are either IP conflict with other devices on your network or IPv6/IPv4 issue.

Comment

One thing worth checking : MTU settings. Check the recommended settings for your ISP and see if they match the router's

Usually affects consoles more than Windows though.

Comment

Cornflakes-Virgin.

abigsmurf-um, what are MTU settings? Sorry, I am not too clued up with all this networking lingo.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Comment

Maximum Transmission Unit. Basically the largest size a data packet can be when transferred.
                        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Thanks Mayhem.

Does this info from commenters on the register help at all? :

about the new VM router/modems:

The new kit cannot (yet) operate as a bridge, so that those of us running our own firewalls with a slightly unusual configuration will find things stop working.
                          They have been promising for quite a while that a firmware update to enable bridge mode is coming 'soon'.

Note-I have a software firewall running.

and:

TS should have told you to turn off IP Flood detection (select Advanced then Services and uncheck the appropriate box)
                          It isn't really dropping packets it's just blocking the "flood" from pingtest.net.

Comment

A. Bridging is where you have two routers behaving as one. (I'm assuming you only use one router/modem so this is not the problem)

A. You can turn off your own software firewall for a few minutes and see if that helps, but dont forget to turn it back on again.

B. You can probably turn off flood detection in your router's settings and see if that helps.

If you can borrow another device like a laptop you can isolate the problem to the machine or the router, so you dont go chasing too many dragons

Comment

try switching the modes from ADSL to ADSL+ to ADSL2 etc (if it's an ADSL modem of course).

That fixed major issues with my connection.. I 'should' have been able to run adsl2, but in reality I can't.

Comment

Working...
                              X