Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PCSX2 now with triple/quad thread support! :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PCSX2 now with triple/quad thread support! :)

Sure a few people know about this, but haven't updated my PCSX2 in a while and it turns out the new SVN builds have a great new speed hack called 'MTVU (multi threaded VU)' that provides a decent deal of speedup in most games!

I thought others who are into emulation like me might be interested. While I could run pretty much everything (MGS3, Tekken 5 etc. etc.) at full whack at 1080p on my oc'ed i7 2600k 4.5Ghz setup, sometimes things would dip etc. With this new hack most of the tougher titles to run, run perfectly at 1080p with AA on and look lovely - God of War 2 arguably looks better than the PS3 update! So this would also clearly provide a lovely boost for those with lower specced systems looking to get PCSX2 running well.

Anyway, that's all for now, just wanted to let others know if interested that PS2 emulation has made the jump to three thread support
    3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

So would a quad core machine running at lower than 2.8ghz possibly run OK? I was gutted that my PC couldn't do it, before. I remember that it was only dual core intels that were recommended before, whereas I have a slower quad core AMD...

Comment

Hmm I would have thought that's too slow to be honest mate although Id expect it'd run some of the lower requirement games well. I would imagine things like SOTC would struggle quite a bit still though.

Comment

Depends completely on the game. I can play lower requirement games like Final Fantasy X and X-2 absolutely perfectly on my Core2 Duo T6600 2.8GHz + GeForce GT240m (or it did about a year ago when I last tried), and even Final Fantasy XII runs okay (albeit with regular framerate drops), whilst a lot of other games are unplayable.

Comment

where would i download the new svn build ?

Comment

I'll just like, use my PS2 for now. Nice to know there's been a breakthrough I guess. Might give it a whirl with GGXXAC+ on my Q6600.

Comment

Usual download places mate, emucr.com that sort of thang!

Comment

No good for me right now but future PS2 emulation interests me greatly. I just don't have the spec required to run anything.

Comment

tried a few games

hokuto no shin ken 2d fighter playable but slow same with the other 2d fighter sengoku basara x (appears no change from the previous version)

God hand runs perfect

chaos field runs perfect

mortal kombat shaolin monks ...well the frame rate is really good but lots of graphics glitches

dark cloud 2 dark chronicles actually runs better then perfect looks like its a hd update when playing it

Comment

Good stuff, I can get fullspeed with Hokotu No Ken, you still need a pretty decent spec to run some of the tougher titles, but glad you found it useful.
                    At 1080p with everything on it, fairly obviously, kills the ps2 looks wise. Playing Ps2 games again feels like a new experience, Okami at 1080p with AA etc os gorgeous.

Comment

So how much of a difference does this make? I remember trying DQ8 a while back and it only ran at about 30-40fps (2.4GHz C2 Quad), and that was at a low resolution... do you still require an uber rig?

Comment

Guys, above is my laptop and specs. Any chance PCSX2 will run on it? I'm specifically thinking Final Fantasy 12, but I'm doubtful it will run to be honest. Thanks.

Comment

Do games run more smoothly if they are from an iso, rather than from the dvd drive? Im not sure If I need to convert my ps2 games to iso. I have slight issues with glitchy sound, other than that, its fantastic

Comment

I can't read threads like this.. It makes me start to crave a new PC..

Comment

Originally posted by k0pp0 View Post
                              I can't read threads like this.. It makes me start to crave a new PC..
                              That was my problem...until I got a new PC

Comment

Working...
                              X