Talk about your current PC set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Supergoal View Post
    Yes! Damn I thought I was going mental. I have had two of them and they both froze, crashed and generally screwed my comp up. So I switched back to the HDD as a boot drive with the OS on it.

What kind of things have you tried to resolve it? Any motherboard problems? Cables connected properly etc?
    happened with two seperate motherboards aswell cables all fine

I dunno it feels the same sort of issue like using a normal hardrive and having installed loads of stuff the slow down of the system like with a normal hardrive (weirdly when i ran the windows experience benchmark it got a 7.9 to begin with now its a 5.9)

Comment

may try a fresh installation of windows 7 again

Comment

I'm on a laptop for the time being until I have room to build a desktop.

Asus G74sx
        i2760 2.4ghz quad
        Nvidia gtx560m 3gb
        16gb G-Skill 1600mhz
        500gb 7200 rpm HDD
        1920x1080 glossy screen

Runs SC2 on high, 8man FFA insane AI at 60fps with v-sync until battles start. Also runs Kingdoms of Amalur on full at 60fps.

I only got it for SC2 and Diablo. Needless to say it jizzblasts Counter Strike Source into next year.

For work I'm getting around 85% usage out of the RAM when I work carelessly, so I'm glad that wasn't a complete waste.

Comment

By carelessly I mean simultaneously rendering in both After Effects and Premier, previewing Flash documents, multi tabbed browser with tons of Flash content and movies playing, and Illustrator and Photoshop with several 600dpi print artwork being randomly and frantically hand-tooled about. I don't normally work like that...

Comment

have been using handbrake to reencode video files (as there just far to big and to be honest dont really need them in 1080p) had been using my phenom II quadcore and it was just taking ages so decided to unlock the two extra cores (making it hex core) but reducing the clock speed just for stability and blow me down its almost halved the encoding times now

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
              Lian Li master race! Totally agree.

My last proper GPU before my 6850 was a 4890.
              Quick question, what sort of performance increase did you see moving from a 4890 to a 6850, speed? I'm thinking of getting either that or going for a GTX 570 - though I wonder if my Q9550 will hold me back.

Comment

Noticeable difference when playing Skyrim, but that's the most intensive game I play. Not to mention that it's less hot, consumes less power and clocks itself down when it's not in use - like a CPU.

I don't think your Q9550 is holding you back, but I mean, you could get like ?120 for that on eBay which isn't far off getting a i5 2500k new. So maybe sell your old parts and upgrade? It's what I did. Q6600 setup sold and paid for my i3-2100T, mATX H61 board and 8GB of RAM.

Comment

There is quite a price leap between 6850 & 570, thought Scan have been doing the EVGA SC version of the 570 for ?200 recently which is a steal for higher end performance imo.

Comment

I'm of two minds atm. Either go the budget route and get a 6850 (or maybe track down a 5870 on ebay) or go for a card that will last me ages like the GTX 570.

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                    There is quite a price leap between 6850 & 570, thought Scan have been doing the EVGA SC version of the 570 for ?200 recently which is a steal for higher end performance imo.
                    Yes, there's a lot of choice in-between, but I've been swayed slightly by the lowering price.

Edit:

Should add the sort of games I'll be planning on playing.

Got a copy of Rage to play through, recently picked up Crysis 2, still haven't finished Arkham City, and I'd like pick up a copy of Dirt 2 to check out some DX11 effects.

Gaming at 1920x1200.
                    Last edited by Kit; 17-05-2012, 15:31.

Comment

I have it (EVGA SC 570) and all I can tell you is that it is badass.

Though you know how it is with PC's, there is always something better gnawing at your mind.

Comment

I've just bought my first gaming rig, after a lot of help from FSW on here. Never had a gaming PC before, I'm really looking forward to it. The catalyst for me making the purchase was the DAYZ mod for ARMA2.

Anyway, this is the spec

Case PCS MAELSTROM T900 BLACK GAMING CASE
                        Processor (CPU) Intel? Core?i5 Quad Core Processor i5-3570K (3.4GHz) 6MB Cache
                        Motherboard ASUS? P8Z77-V LX: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI?CrossFireX
                        Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)
                        Graphics Card 1.25GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 570 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
                        2nd Graphics Card NONE
                        3rd Graphics Card NONE
                        Memory - 1st Hard Disk 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
                        2nd Hard Disk NONE
                        RAID NONE
                        SSD CACHE DRIVE NONE
                        1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ?R/?RW/RAM
                        2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive NONE
                        Memory Card Reader INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
                        Power Supply CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES? TX650 V2-80 PLUS? BRONZE (?69)
                        Processor Cooling SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE INTEL CPU COOLER (?19)

Comment

Sweet rig, should be a beast. Were you not tempted by an SSD as well?

Comment

That 52 in 1 card reader is gonna pull some serious frames!

Comment

Working...
                            X