Recommend Me ADSL Modems/Routers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend Me ADSL Modems/Routers

I'm, finally, gearing up to swap from dial-up to ADSL broadband but by common consent the modem/router supplied by the ISP I'm likely going to use isn't too good. Therefore I need some alternatives <?100 preferably much less.

I don't need or want to use wi-fi at present but as there are apparently few wired only modem/routers available now what I'm looking for is one that can switch it off. Maybe that is a standard option but looking a some Netgear ones yesterday (Maplins) where this feature was mentioned specifically on the box suggests it might not be.

So that, 4 ethernet ports, reliability, simple set up and hopefully good enough speed for online gaming with PC and XB360 are probably what I'm looking for.

I've researched quite a few makes likes of Netgear (on the expensive side), D-Link (rejected because many users reported overheating issues on several models) but I found a few candidates like TP-Link (TD-W8960) and I know there are some good Linksys ones too but which? User recommendations are what I'm really looking for.

If you hare just using ethernet, then any old thing will do. http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TD-W...INK+TD-W8951ND

You will be able to turn the wireless off easily.

Comment

So actually switching off rather than just not using the wi-fi is a normal feature of 'wireless' routers, yes? That's what I wasn't sure of never having seen let alone set up an ADSL modem/router. Thanks. I've asked about this on other forums and nobody seemed to be certain. The quoted technical specifications, at least on retail web sites and even reviews, don't mention anything about that sort of thing.

Comment

Every adsl router I've owned allows you to turn off the wireless. This feature allows one to use a separate advanced wireless access point if one should so wish.

Comment

And for anyone else who is looking for router recommends, I have a mix of crazy wireless stuff in my house. Squeezeboxes love WPA2/AES and WPA1/TKIP, but don't work with WPA2/TKIP or WPA1/AES. But it seems my Joggler loves WPA1/AES. I also have N range laptops and a variety of phones and ipad with G and N. My Buffalo WBMR-HP-G300H refused to keep the connections up properly with this mix of connection types and it got worse as more types got added to the point where it was dropping daily. However, it did work with the Vodafone SureSignal reliably.

I have just bought a Netgear DGN2200. It's fantastic. Suresignal hooked up immediately, the menu is great, it doesn't need to reboot the entire thing every time you make a tiny change, the wireless range is great, all the devices work perfectly and have stayed up for a few days without hitch, the led displays on the front are clear. Only thing I'd say is that flat on the desk it was pretty hot underneath. It comes with a stand so it can be upright, so I've gone for this and it's a lot cooler now. You can also hang it on wall hooks.

Comment

Thanks again for the info.I've been looking at other different Netgear models myself but they are quite expensive. I was particularly interested in the N600 in my local Maplins on Friday prior to my original post. I think it is several years old compared to the one you mentioned, yet Maplins were selling it for >?120 and even online I haven't been able to find it for much under ?100.There seems to be this big price gap in the market; you get the cheaper 10/100 2.4GHz entry leel ones, some well reviewed, at up to ?30. But then the next level up with Gigabit Ethernet, 5GHz option and all the bells and whistles starts at ?80. Difficult decision for me what to go for.

Comment

Just get that one I linked to first (TP-Link). Then get a proper one later when you start using wireless. The tech marches on so swiftly, it's pointless trying to future proof yourself now when you aren't even using most of it.

I haven't used it myself, but have the equivalent TP-Link range extender which is ok.

Comment

I think that is good advice and I was coming around to that conclusion myself. Thanks.

Comment

All I can suggest is 'not netgear' as not pleased with my last one (which could be made to lock up by trying to print to a shared printer from my macbook). It has other problems too like the "reconnect to adsl if connection drops" feature simply not doing what it says.

Comment

Oddly netgear is pretty much the last brand I've tried. 3com, Buffalo, Linksys, Belkin, Zyxel. They've all had issues of some sort.

Comment

About netgear, if you are using primarily wifi it shouldn't be a problem. However the ethernet ports seem to be troublesome with those dsl gateways. I had a couple of netgears in the recent past and all of them seem to develop an issue with the ethernet ports after a while, stuck at 10MB full duplex. If you want something reliable I would go for a billion gateway, alternatively I would suggest getting an dsl modem and a router, or you can use the ISP supplied gateway as a modem and bridge it with a router.

Comment

Useful information, thanks.As I'm probably going to use Talk Talk I was researching them earlier today. Most people seemed hate the basic modem/router they provide but I found what I assume was an independent web site listing tested modem/routers for use with their BB services. Several D-Link models were recommended which bought me back full circle. As I said in my OP I'd been looking at D-Link ones right from the start but dismissed them because of several user reviews I'd found at different places saying how hot they can get.
                        Last edited by fallenangle; 13-05-2013, 21:39.

Comment

As long as they carry on functioning while hot then ok right? My Onkyo surround amp heats the house up.....

Comment

I've always been paranoid about electrical equipment and heat. I took special precautions with my DC right from the start to avoid the reset problem which was primarily due to heat. I've applied the same principles to all my consoles, STBs, audio equipment, laptop since too: extra half-inch rubber feet, always used on hard, fire resistant surface and of course ensure plenty of airflow around the equipment.

I didn't buy a XB360 until very late principally because of the over-heating issues with early versions. The very first question I asked about the XB360 when it was announced was about how it would deal with the heat and the general response on the forums I visited told me to stop worrying as, in words to this effect: MS would never release a console which any problems in this respect.

Obviously a modem/router that works OK in all circumstances is what you'd expect. But if I have a choice between one which has a feature I'd like rather than need but runs hot and one, less well specified, that ran cooler I'd go with the latter simply because it could last longer.
                            Last edited by fallenangle; 14-05-2013, 13:10.

Comment

I had a very hard look at the Netgear DGN2200 because it does seem to be exactly what I was looking for. But despite what charlesr said I was put off by too many users detailing problems with Netgear machines in general although not that many for this specific model. The hot running kept on coming up and various other serious complaints.

Which brings me back to his earlier suggestion the TP-Link W8951.

I'm not going for that particular model but unless I get some negative feedback here what I think I'm going to go for the TP-Link TD-W8970 300Mbps Gigabit Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router. Don't really like how it looks but it does have generally good reviews and the retail web site's pictures of it also let me see it does have the wi-fi on/off switch I wanted too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=1&s=computers
                              Last edited by fallenangle; 16-05-2013, 16:55.

Comment

Working...
                              X