Headphone recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headphone recommendations?

I am in the market for some new headphones. I'm currently using a pair of Klipsch in-ear things which are ok, but I'd like to get some over-ear types seeing as I'm going to have more time travelling soon. I'd seen people on here talking about the iGrados before, saying they were great at that particular price bracket - as such, I v nearly bought a pair until realising that they were open backed and would be kinda useless when commuting. That got me thinking, if I am going to be using them in a loud environment, should I not stump up for some good noise cancelling ones? I've also seen people here talking about headphone amps too, and I've no idea whether that's something I should be thinking about if looking to spend a bit more.

In short, I'm after something that would be over-ear, good in loud environments (I.e. the tube), and ideally with a neck band rather than overhead. They'd mostly be used on an iPhone, 3DS, or Vita. Any recommendations?

You didn't put that much detail about what you listen to, and what sort of sound signature you prefer?

Active noise cancelling is generally seen as detrimental to ultimate sound quality.

NB I have a pair of Shure SRH840s for sale on head-fi, but if you're interested... They are over-ear though. I can say that they are some of the best closed-back phones I've heard, don't have the overblown bass of many closed-backs, detailed but still easy to listen to for long periods, and well-built. If I still listened to music at work or on the bus, I'd keep them, no question.

Comment

Hmm, I listen to quite a lot of metal and instrumental / math-rocky stuff, but also some more electronic type things; been listening to the new Boards of Canada album quite a lot, as an example. I like a little bit of bass but prefer a more 'accurate' sound to the kind of ridiculously OTT sound you seem to get from Beats headphones and the like. Not sure if this helps?

Comment

Get a portable amp too. A fiio or something

i love these (recommended on here)

Versatile portable on-ears that sound amazing for the money. Headphones Product of the Year, Awards 2011

but will be getting some of these next month http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-9.../dp/B00018MSNI but as speedy (who no doubt will be here later) will say it needs an amp to drive them, hence why I can't buy them till next month

I listen to mainly metal and electronica too fwiw

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
          I am in the market for some new headphones. I'm currently using a pair of Klipsch in-ear things which are ok, but I'd like to get some over-ear types seeing as I'm going to have more time travelling soon. I'd seen people on here talking about the iGrados before, saying they were great at that particular price bracket - as such, I v nearly bought a pair until realising that they were open backed and would be kinda useless when commuting. That got me thinking, if I am going to be using them in a loud environment, should I not stump up for some good noise cancelling ones? I've also seen people here talking about headphone amps too, and I've no idea whether that's something I should be thinking about if looking to spend a bit more.

In short, I'm after something that would be over-ear, good in loud environments (I.e. the tube), and ideally with a neck band rather than overhead. They'd mostly be used on an iPhone, 3DS, or Vita. Any recommendations?
          Get them beats man, their bass is sick!! Plus they deliver bare style blood, too much style for most to handle,

Trust me bruv you can't go wrong with dem beats.

Comment

I use Sony MDR-V500 for audio production and frankly they punch well above their low price point might suggest in my opinion - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDR-V50...words=MDR-V500

Crisp, clear sound across the frequency range - no silly base boosting. Sound isolation is solid and I've been using them for getting on two years now and still going strong.

Comment

So then the SRH840s do the job in my opinion. Perhaps not suited to classical, but a great rock / pop / metal / phone. They are in a different class to Beats, being a member on here I assume you're a discerning citizen and don't want Beats. Presentation is strong and lively, but not overblown (for closed phones), and easy to listen to for long periods. Only possible issue for you is that they are not tiny.

As for the amp, I don't think SRH840 needs one - much of the time, only the more exotic stuff benefits from amps. I listened on a crappy Dell laptop and they were great. Sometimes, the loudness of an amp is mistaken for an increase in quality. If you do a double-blind test (and you should), match the levels! Having said that, I don't have an iPhone, so no idea what the output quality is like.

Comment

AKG K550 would be strongly recommended by me. You have to deal with the long cable though.

Comment

Originally posted by topper View Post
                  They are in a different class to Beats, being a member on here I assume you're a discerning citizen and don't want Beats.
                  Don't cuss the beats bredrin!!
                  Last edited by 'Press Start'; 03-08-2013, 22:45.

Comment

If you are willing to spend a bit then the sennheiser amperiors are pretty much the best bang for buck for portable over ear designs...they don't need lots of amping, and sound awsome. But the ?200-?250 price might be a turn off...

Cheaper down the scale you have the likes of the Audio Technica ADH-ES55....which i had before i switched to the Westone UM3X..

They were superb for the ?85 price tag, i gave them to my brother when i moved on, and he's always telling me how great they sound.

Comment

Those Audio Technica ones seem nice - a lot of the other recommends seen good too, but I'm not sure if the size of some of them is a little too much for lugging about everywhere. For something like those would an amp be recommended, or are they not really going to see much of an improvement?

Comment

I'd say try them out first without an amp, and let your ears decide. After a few weeks to acclimatize, if you aren't happy, try to borrow an amp and test, preferably double-blind. As I've said elsewhere, the eyes / brain are incredibly powerful in determining the listening experience.

Comment

Those Audio Technica ones seem nice - a lot of the other recommends seen good too, but I'm not sure if the size of some of them is a little too much for lugging about everywhere. For something like those would an amp be recommended, or are they not really going to see much of an improvement?
                          They scale well from what i remember, great straight out of most devices, and better yet amped...pretty much like every good set of phones.

They seem bang on for your needs though, my brother doesnt give praise to anything easily, and he loves them.

Comment

Duplicate post sorry.

Comment

Just got some Bowers & Wilkins P3s. Fit all my criteria: No sound leakage (using them at work), comfy, light, sound awesome, replaceable cables and earpads. I tried the P5s but in addition to them not sounding any better they made my ears hot really quickly.
                              Shop also lent me an Arcam rPAC dac to try out.

Comment

Working...
                              X