Advice - GB Micro or GBA SP AGS-101?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice - GB Micro or GBA SP AGS-101?

I used to have a GB Micro a few years ago. I sold it, which honestly was a mistake (I sold all my handhelds when I got an iPhone... yeah, seemed a good idea at the time) and now I'm thinking of getting one again.

However, I'm also aware of the GBASP AGS-101, and have heard that it's pretty good - like the screen is of comparable quality to the GB Micro or DSLite.

The GB Micro's main advantage from my perspective is size - like I still think it's the only truly pocket-size console ever made - for jeans pockets, anyway. Of course, the AGS-101 has a clamshell design, which is pretty good too.

So I suppose I'm asking, is there anything about the AGS-101 I should be aware of? Is its screen quality as good as the Micro? (which I remember being superb). What about battery life? I'm not fussed about GB/GBC games, so that aspect of the SP doesn't appeal to me.

Also, as both of these machines are rechargeable, and would likely be pretty well-used (if I was to buy one now), can replacement batteries be bought for either of them?

Of course, I know I'm going to have to struggle to actually find the games I want, though I suppose that's just the GBA owner's lament.

Simple, 101 all day long. Screen is amazing, ultra bright, as bright as a DS lite. Battery life is very good too, easy ten hours. The best bit is original GB compatibility. Zelda is awesome to play on it.

Comment

Does the 101 have a headphone port? Both the clamshell 101 SP and Micro are awesome and you can't really go wrong for GBA games. But yes, the Micro is missing GB and GBC compatibility.

Comment

The ultra-portability of the Micro clinches it for me. As you say, no other console at all can fit into the pocket of a pair of jeans - so I'd take the Micro every day of the week. I would say it really depends on whether you're planning to travel with this a lot, because if not you've lost the main advantage to the Micro and you may as well get the 101 for superior compatibility, larger screen (although not as sharp as the Micro's from what I've seen) and the ease on the hands.

As for replacement batteries, I don't know about the Micro but I know that 3rd party replacement SP batteries are available - but I bought my well-used Micro two years ago and the battery life is still great on it so I wouldn't say that's a pressing issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          Does the 101 have a headphone port? Both the clamshell 101 SP and Micro are awesome and you can't really go wrong for GBA games. But yes, the Micro is missing GB and GBC compatibility.
          Can someone answer this? Does it still need the clunky adaptor that the regular SP required? As that's a bit of a pain if so.

Still, looking at some pictures of the AGS-101 online, it does look pretty special - and I suppose I could get both, eventually. Shame there are no AGS-101's on eBay right now; I hope it isn't going to be too expensive when I go looking for one that isn't hot-pink.

EDIT: There's a Taiwanese eBay seller, selling "refurbished" ones. I wonder if they're any good?

I mean probably not, but ?50 is quite cheap, and if the condition is brand new...
          Last edited by Asura; 18-09-2013, 20:00.

Comment

It does have the same headphone port as the SP. The machine was also officially released in Taiwan so no fear getting on from there.

Seriously, buy one. May not be as small as micro but as bright and clam design will protect screen.

Comment

Get both.
              Sometimes you just need a REALLY small GBA.
              Other times, you want one that works for long periods in large hands.

Comment

If you only want to play GBA games, get a Micro, otherwise go with an SP or 101.

Comment

Don't touch the SP.

Comment

Beware that text is sometimes hard to read on a Micro.
                    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I've never had a problem reading any text on a Micro.

Comment

The Micro has the same screen as a AGS-101 FYI.

I prefer the Micro - never liked the form factor of the SP at all. You can't lose either way in my opinion though.

Comment

Micro.

If you want to play GBC games get a GBC.

Comment

With no light at all?

Comment

GBC games largely suck anyway.

Get a Game Boy Light.

Comment

Working...
                              X