X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
    GBC games largely suck anyway.
    You take that back!

Honestly though if the main purpose of this is just GBA games, I'd sway towards the Micro. It's so handy, just throw it in your pocket and you don't have to worry about the headphone adaptor lot the SP (honestly, what were they thinking removing the headphone port from a handheld system?). Great battery life and feels great in the hand.

Comment

I just never really found any GBC exclusive games to justify owning anything beyond the Pocket/Light until the GBA at least. So the GBC itself then.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
        I just never really found any GBC exclusive games to justify owning anything beyond the Pocket/Light until the GBA at least. So the GBC itself then.
        I actually kinda agree. I owned a Game Boy Color at the time, and remember one thing about it - disappointment. Given, the games weren't terrible, but I they were hardly a leap over the Game Boy. So many of the manufacturers were worried about market fragmentation, so many kept Game Boy support and ended up making GB games with a small colour palette.

I think Street Fighter Alpha was one of the only Game Boy Color-only games I played to any real extent, and whilst that game was a technical marvel on the system, I doubt anyone would play that in a world where we have the GBA SF Alpha 3, countless superb Neo Geo Pocket Color fighters and tons since.

Links Awakening was great, but that's a perfect example - the "DX" features didn't add very much.

I also always found the colour/screen quality disappointing after seeing screenshots in magazines for months before it came out. The screens of stuff like the Wario game were really vibrant. The final screen was dull, where every blue was navy or tinged with a slight beige. Maybe seeing those games on the AGS101 screen will change my opinion, but I doubt it.

My lasting memory is one of juxtaposition with the NGPC, and being thankful I switched from one to the other, despite it severely damaging my wallet at age 15!

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        You take that back!

Honestly though if the main purpose of this is just GBA games, I'd sway towards the Micro. It's so handy, just throw it in your pocket and you don't have to worry about the headphone adaptor lot the SP (honestly, what were they thinking removing the headphone port from a handheld system?). Great battery life and feels great in the hand.
        The reason isn't so much the adaptor - Nintendo sold an official set of headphones that worked with the unit. They were pretty expensive. Between the saving (on components) and the sales of the headphones/adaptor, they probably made a fair bit.

EDIT: Ironic, all of this, really - when I'm considering this because I've finally decided that time has moved on, and I can't deal with the NGPC's screen when stacked against modern handhelds, and as a result may sell it to fund this.

Comment

The Oracle games are worth owning a GBC for alone. If you like Zelda of course.

Comment

DX wasn't GBC only either. Black cart that could be played on an original GB or Pocket just fine.

Lots of people I know seemed to think Gold/Silver were GBC only too. Crystal was though.

I never did play the Oracle games - maybe I'll get them when they come to 3DS in that collection package. Or was it just shop release?

Comment

Working...
            X