No announcement yet.

Which Blu Ray drive to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's slowly getting there. There's already support for all video and audio formats as well as subtitles, As long as you aren't concerned about the menus or advanced features, you can watch a decrypted disc perfectly fine.

Support for the menus etc. seems to be still in an early stage at the moment, However, the biggest hurdle will be supporting the content protection systems (AACS and BD+). There is a library called libaacs which can decode this to some degree, but it appears to be a bit of a cat-and-mouse game as the protections get updated and decryption keys get blacklisted.

In the medium term, we may see full support for decrypted discs, though something like AnyDVD HD will continue to be necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
      Does it play anything? DVDs?
      Tried Iron Man 2 dvd and it didn't work.

Just tried The Raid and it worked fine.

Comment

Same error for the blu ray in vlc and media player.

Comment

Do I actually need to set the region?

Comment

This is so awesome. My newly purchased blu ray drive WON'T play legit blu rays unless I either buy some ****E software to get round the bs.

WHAT A LOAD OF ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post
              VLC and windows media player.
              Neither VLC nor Media Player can play Blu-ray, as Baseley pointed out. VLC can "coincidentally" play Blu-ray since it can read the formats used on it, but it can't decode the copy protection crap (AACS), so will only play the movie files on the disc if you have a way around that.

Keep in mind though that some movies (a lot of Disney ones) are split into multiple clips (eg multiple different versions of on-screen signs to cater for different langauges) so VLC isn't exactly ideal as a player.

The same is true of Media Player Classic HCE as far as I know.

Bottom line: get PowerDVD or Arcsoft TotalMedia Theater. (One of my drives came with a version of PowerDVD for this reason).

Comment

Working...
              X