Gaming on an iMac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gaming on an iMac

This is probably as entry-level a question as it gets, but I'm so far out of the PC game that I am all but clueless. I'm considering buying a new iMac, and wanted to know what kind of gaming potential it's going to offer. I know Steam for Mac exists, but I understand that a large percentage of titles aren't set up to work in it? Is Boot Camp a reasonable option for running Windows-based Steam? What kind of performance should I be expecting (looking at the two current 27inch models) and is there any particular hardware upgrade that's worth considering?

To clarify, I'm not looking to run anything too intensive or that would better suit a console - rather just things that fit best with mouse & keyboard or that aren't available elsewhere (indie titles like Gone Home, Papers Please, The Stanley Parable etc are high up my list of things to play). Yes, I know that I could get a PC capable of these for much less, but gaming is not the only thing that I am looking to buy a computer for - hopefully this spares me a 'cult of Apple' intervention

Basically you'll have a all selection of games to buy in steam, most indies are there now but quite often not the one you want to play.

Using Bootcamp to install windows is literally just installing windows as you would on any PC and you will get the exact same performance that you would get on a PC of the same spec.

Bootcamp is literally just the tool to install Windows. When the machine starts you will be given the choice to boot into OSX or Windows

Comment

I'm haven't used my iMac with any "new" games, but I have managed to connect my Wiimote to the iMac and played Earthbound via emulator (using the classic controller) as well as tested out the Dolphin-emulator. So for emulators you should be set at least, sorry I can't help with newer stuff.

Comment

See, I remember pre-bootcamp hearing about people that used to use... Parallels (I think it was?) to run a Windows session inside OS X. I didn't know if that was still a sensible option, or if it was buggy?

Comment

It sounds like Parallels is (was?) some kind of Virtual Machine. In oversimplified terms, it would have essentially emulated a Windows environment in software. Such solutions are often fine for running specific applications, but not much cop for gaming.

I'm not a Mac user, but it would seem that there are more gaming options than ever for Mac users. Steam is available for the Mac and Linux and this has encouraged an increasing amount of developers (especially indie developers) to create Mac and Linux builds of their games. So you may actually be able to run most of the games you want to play natively in OSX. An awful lot of these games are cross-buy, meaning if you buy one version of the game (say, the Mac version) you automatically get access to the other versions (Windows and Linux).

And if push comes to shove, I believe you can just use Bootcamp to install Windows. Then your Mac will literally be able to be used as a Windows PC, and will game access to the same games as a PC (albeit with an Apple logo and inflated price ).

Comment

Yeah, Parallels is a virtual machine with staggering integration with OSX, I suspect you could run less demanding titles (2d) on Parralells with ease.

You can actually use it in conjunction with a bootcap install so you can either run the Windows installation within OSX or totally independent of it.

Comment

Parallels is indeed an impressive hypervisor, and certainly 2d games run OK. For any serious gaming on iMac you need to run Bootcamp in order to install Windows on a separate partition. You will also beneft from finding out the "Real" name of the GPU, so that you can download newer drivers. i.e my Mid 2010 i7 states it has a 1GB "AMD 5770" but it infact is using a mobile GPU, the Mobility 5850. The clocks are low too, so I used a program to increase fan speeds and overclock the GPU for a 20% boost in FPS.

My iMac is too old now to play modern games, but the latest models with GeForce GTX 780m would be good.

Be aware that Crysis 3 maxed at 1440p is only 20fps.....

So games won't run maxxed at 1440p if on newer engines.

Clearly you don't buy and imac for games, but as a benefit it can at least to a reasonable job (at far greater cost than PC.) Also be prepared for constant abuse if you admit to gaming on Mac from PC enthusiasts.
              Last edited by charlesr; 06-01-2014, 09:08.

Comment

Thanks all for the advice re: Windows options. Think if I plump for it I'll see what from my Steam library would work natively from OS X, and then if I need to I can set up boot camp for Windows. I presume 7 is still the preferred option here...

Originally posted by capcom_suicide View Post
                My iMac is too old now to play modern games, but the latest models with GeForce GTX 780m would be good.
                The two standard options for the 27" models are a GT 755M with 1GB, or a GTX775M with 2GB - how do these fare? It's ?130 on top of the latter to move to a 780m w/ 4GB, which I feel may be overkill for what I'm looking for. I've no interest in cranking heavy-duty games up to the max, and it's the consoles that will remain hooked up to my main AV setup.

Comment

Im assuming these FPS ratings are @ 1080p though not the iMac native res which is prob considerably higher these days.

Comment

Would buying a PC and getting it to run OSX be an option? I recently did this again and it's much easier these days. Are you buying an iMac for the machine itself or because you need to run OSX / Mac applications?

Comment

iMacs look about 800,000x better than any PC though.

Comment

There will be significant 3D advantages, and my feeling with iMac is do one of the following:

1.) Forget 3D games, spec it low on GPU and boost the CPU/Memory/SSD to give best performance in the tasks you need it for. (Video editing etc) and have fun with 2d games and old stuff like Portal 2 that run native on OSX
                        2.) Prioritise games, and except the high price. Get the best GPU, but avoid the need for a separare PC for gaming. Install bootcamp
                        3.) Do opion 1, and then buy a games PC or Next Gen console with the money saved by not following Option 2.

From your posts it seems number 3 would suit you best. Dont' forget updating drivers etc on Bootcamp is a pain in the a**e.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                          Would buying a PC and getting it to run OSX be an option? I recently did this again and it's much easier these days. Are you buying an iMac for the machine itself or because you need to run OSX / Mac applications?
                          The machine itself is a big part of the equation, yeah. Though I am now quite partial to OS X, the look & footprint of the computer itself is what I accept is costing me the premium.

I find it kinda strange that a desktop machine is using parts that seem more typical for a portable machine, but I guess it makes sense. Only realised last night that there's no optical, either!

Comment

Originally posted by capcom_suicide View Post
                            There will be significant 3D advantages, and my feeling with iMac is do one of the following:

1.) Forget 3D games, spec it low on GPU and boost the CPU/Memory/SSD to give best performance in the tasks you need it for. (Video editing etc) and have fun with 2d games and old stuff like Portal 2 that run native on OSX
                            2.) Prioritise games, and except the high price. Get the best GPU, but avoid the need for a separare PC for gaming. Install bootcamp
                            3.) Do opion 1, and then buy a games PC or Next Gen console with the money saved by not following Option 2.

From your posts it seems number 3 would suit you best. Dont' forget updating drivers etc on Bootcamp is a pain in the a**e.
                            Cheers - I think this is exactly the steer I need, and I think you are right re: option 3 being good for me.

Comment

Have a look at Winebottler. It probably won't work with the latest games but looks like a good option.
                              You can also use bootcamp to have a native Windows install if needed but there are a number of native OSX games available.

Comment

Working...
                              X