Play Asia Nasty Customs/Vat Charges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by master chief
    Ive had two deliveries through Play-Asia and one on it's way. Ive always been impatient so all three parcels have come through UPS.

The first parcel was fairly light so no extra charge. The second one contained an arcade stick, games and other knick knacks and was about 5kg. I had to pay ?57 on my doorstep. Quite a bit I admit but that was the first time I imported such a large parcel from Hong Kong.

The parcel ive recently ordered is 3.7kg and expected on Monday. Hopefully it wont cost as much.
    Did they mark the value down of the items down at all?

Comment

Today, I had a delivery of a Ceramic white PS2, memory card, stand, WE7I and VF Anniversary - went for the EMS route and got stung for ?32. Play Asia had marked the value as half. Fantastically packed, beautiful machine and top games. No complaints from me....

Comment

To be honest i think its purely random if you get stung for tax as my order was donkeyconga with controller .

This isnt a small box and is just a bit smaller than a cube box and maybe a bit lighter.

I was concerned that I was going to get stung because of the size of the box.

We'll see what happens when I make my next order.

Comment

Make sure you ask them to mark it using a random figure under ?18. Packages are marked as Samples, some as Accesories, some as Evalution Goods etc.

I always do this and everything i've bought has been way over the limit but i've never been stung. Although i'm a cheaparse and always select Super Value Economy for the postage option

As far as i'm concerned Play Asia are the greatest games import company ever And up there with DDDHouse on my most favourite shops list.

Comment

I'm about to place an order with play-asia and its total value is just over ?22 is it worth going for the EMS shipping or should I just stick with the ordinary box or jiffy bag? I'm not too fussed on the time it takes to get here

Comment

I bought Initial D from Play-Asia when that was first released, paid ?30 for the game, paid think it was about ?16 for EMS 2-3 day shipping then it got stung, not only did it take parcel farse over a week to get it from their depot to my house (actually they never did, I got so fed up of them "forgetting" to put it on the van that I jus went to the depot for it myself) but had the pleasure of paying was about ?4.50 VAT on it and ?12 handling fee.

Basically, had I jus had it sent standard $3 shipping it would have got their faster and I wudn't have been stung :P

Comment

just taken delivery of a white slimline ps2 this morning from yes-asia. was sent on friday night (HK time) via the free shipping option (even though it was delivered by UPS ?) but was presented with a pink slip for ?15 duty by the smug git delivery guy at the door not too bad i guess, means i only paid ?140 all in.

tbm

Comment

theboymurray - email Yesasia telling them what's happened; they should refund/store credit you.

Comment

thanks Geoff D, i`ll do that. tbh i was`nt expecting a smooth ride, i still shudder @ some of the import duty i`ve paid down the years...

tbm.

Comment

Originally posted by theboymurray
                      just taken delivery of a white slimline ps2 this morning from yes-asia. was sent on friday night (HK time) via the free shipping option (even though it was delivered by UPS ?) but was presented with a pink slip for ?15 duty by the smug git delivery guy at the door not too bad i guess, means i only paid ?140 all in.

tbm
                      to be fair i think its in teh UPS delivery man schooling to be smug

only ever used them once and they took ?50 from me and the guy was almost laughing in my face, wanst so funny when he had most of the contents of my car ashtray in his hands

?35 in notes and the rest in 10, 5, 2, 1's

but since it was delivered by UPS maybe yesasia used the wrong shipping - looks like you got cuorier shipping for free

Jason

Comment

Two seperate parcels of mine were "lost in the post" a few months ago. Play-Asia very kindly gave me a credit note, and I opted for my re-order to go EMS (tracked).

I tracked the order to the Glasgow depot, unfortunately noting that it was "AWAITING PAYMENT OF CHARGES". I waited for a notification card/letter, cos I had no idea of the exact location where my parcel was being held ... three days passed, it never came.

I eventually had to phone ParcelForce to get the location of the depot, then trekked all the way into the middle of an industrial estate, to be hit with a ?35 charge for about ?60 worth of goods. VAT was mis-calculated (the usual ?/$ confusion scam), and the Parcel Force "clearance charge" of ?13 didn't help matters.

This was a couple of weeks ago. Notification card/letter has still not arrived, despite chavette in the ParcelForce office telling me that one was definitely sent. I expect this is what happened to the original shipment, and some ParcelForce employee eventually took my unclaimed stuff.

Sent a letter to customs about VAT miscalculation, awaiting results. They did this to me before, and I got a partial refund out of them.

If our esteemed customs officers haven't got the brains to tell the difference between a ? and a $, then I think I might take up heroin smuggling.

YesAsia for me from now on.
                        Last edited by peeveen; 31-10-2005, 11:24.

Comment

i`d have loved to have seen that "£1.20, £1.21...oops, mis-counted, need to start again..."

tbm

Comment

Originally posted by theboymurray

tbm
                            hmm tempting me to order one now. what was the value marked down on the parcel ?

as 15 quid isn't too bad as ups handling fee is what 12 quid and then only 3 quid vat

do they only take cash at the door ?

Comment

Working...
                            X