No announcement yet.

Windows XP Service Pack 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No it doesn't stop the notification. You keep getting "You're computer is at risk, click here to see why" notification once or twice a day. Anyway, bored of this conversation now :P

Comment

oh the turn off auto updates is in another option window and you can turn it off also, anyway why would you NOT want to update? I think mine is set to tell me when there is a new update but I have to download it at my lesiure!
      Last edited by FelixofMars; 31-08-2004, 09:31.

Comment

I've got it set to download the updates automatically (so it does it in the background when I'm reading the forum and so on), but not install anything without asking first. No whingeing from the Security Centre here, however.

Comment

Originally posted by Valken
          She is now able to maintain a decent wireless connection to my WPA encrypted 802.11g network where before it would randomly drop out despite full signal and no problems with my Macs.
          Aye, its definately helped the wifi out on WinXP. Seems to have extended the range it works at (using the power of magic, seemingly) and its' stability.

Microsoft, you win!

Comment

You've noticed too then Ed?

I've just remoted into my sister's computer and the wireless connection has been up for over 15 hours with Very Good to Excellent signal.

I haven't noticed any range improvement as it's a desktop but the improved signal is most pleasing.

Comment

Someone at work said to me that XP SP2 cuts down on available ports to combat things like torrents, and that performance deteriorates with SP2. Not heard of this myself, and I havent noticed a great deal of difference when using torrents. Could be talking blah I guess.

Comment

perhaps hes got the firewall on and hasnt configured it right?

Im using SP2 and ZoneAlarm and a Firewall on my Router and my Torrent speeds are just the same

Comment

oh the turn off auto updates is in another option window and you can turn it off also, anyway why would you NOT want to update? I think mine is set to tell me when there is a new update but I have to download it at my lesiure!
                  Imagine you have a network of 3000 PC's and one single M$ upadte can b0rk all your legacy applications they run.

Also imagine disabling automatic updates and 3000 people phoning you up saying "OMFG MY COMPUTAR IS AT RISK WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO!?!?!???!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Salter
                    Also imagine disabling automatic updates and 3000 people phoning you up saying "OMFG MY COMPUTAR IS AT RISK WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO!?!?!???!?"
                    hahaha.

Comment

Originally posted by marcus
                      Someone at work said to me that XP SP2 cuts down on available ports to combat things like torrents, and that performance deteriorates with SP2. Not heard of this myself, and I havent noticed a great deal of difference when using torrents. Could be talking blah I guess.
                      This is somewhat true. SP2 limits tcpip connections as part of its "improved security" features. It can cause problems with torrents but if you're not noticed any difference then I wouldn't worry. There is a fix out there though in the form of a modified tcpip.sys file if anyone does have problems.

Comment

Hey, I'm new to the boards.

Originally posted by Tom Salter
                        No it doesn't stop the notification. You keep getting "You're computer is at risk, click here to see why" notification once or twice a day. Anyway, bored of this conversation now :P
                        I felt compelled to register as no-one seemed to know how to resolve this (apart from registry editing), and it's so easy! All I did when the security center popped up for the first time was select 'Change the way Security Center alerts me' on the left, I was presented with the following:

Simply untick all the boxes and it'll never alert you again. Registry editing? Too much hassle. 8)

Comment

Rofl, easy when you know how >_<

Comment

16 colours?

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Marklar
                              Sorry dude, don't believe you... which applications? I use vpn from home, remote debugging and it works fine after some tweaking (following advice from MS's webpages).
                              Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.

Programs that connect to IP addresses that are in the loopback address range may not work as you expect in Windows XP Service Pack 2
                              It also applies to loopback stuff via ssh connections too.

But yeah, just follow the instructions on the site!!!
                              Last edited by Valken; 12-09-2004, 18:52.

Comment

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I need some help

I'm getting and error after installing the service pack. Every time I close a file window i get a data execution prevention dialogue box, claiming the program at fault is windows explorer! Has anyone else encountered this?

Comment

Working...
                                X