No announcement yet.

Customs Charges Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That'd be alright, they seem to be the cheapest.

Comment

This isn't about consoles but there seems to be a lot of useful information here regarding customs - I'm considering buying a couple of camera lenses, I have the choice of UPS or Fed Ex, is either of them any better for customs charges?

John

Comment

Can anyone help me regarding custom duty/import tax from PLAY.COM Basically I'm planning to get an XBox 360 from them (along with a 22" monitor), and wanted to know if I should expect to pay any tax on the items when they arrive? I have shopped with Play.com before but recall ever spending more then £35, so any info would be appriciated.

Comment

Originally posted by KIT786 View Post
          Can anyone help me regarding custom duty/import tax from PLAY.COM Basically I'm planning to get an XBox 360 from them (along with a 22" monitor), and wanted to know if I should expect to pay any tax on the items when they arrive? I have shopped with Play.com before but recall ever spending more then ?35, so any info would be appriciated.
          it will be fine

that charge only applies to playusa and its for dvd's or anything originating outside the UK

Comment

as long as your in the uk, your good, i think there goods are all shipped from jersey, ive brought things over 200 quid before and never been charged.

aaron

BEATEN TO IT, lol

Comment

It's £18 straight now, "gift" no longer counts. "Used" or "faulty" is a better way of avoiding taxes. I've had items for £23ish and escaped taxes so I guess they are a little lenient, but you can't fool them generally. Only with uncommon items like Atomiswave games worth £500, have I got away with marking them as $40 and avoiding taxes altogether. PS3's have no chance of getting past unnoticed.
              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

to put your mind at rest

i bought a Gears of war pack from them and it arrived within 2 days via parcelforce and i paid nada

Comment

thanks for the info guys

Comment

There are no charges on stuff imported from the EU and that includes any of the British Isles and the Canaries.

I've only ever been charged import tax on one thing and that was an ipod from America, but my brother used to get it all the time, especially when he bought consoles from Lik Sang.

Comment

Originally posted by Spark View Post
                      There are no charges on stuff imported from the EU and that includes any of the British Isles and the Canaries.
                      kinda depends on where the item originated and if customs knows about it

prime example is playusa.com

all their stuff is imported from the states to warehouses in Jersey or Belgium

and customs knows this, so if you get a lovely boxed set from playusa and its costs more than ?18, you will pay duty on it even though it has a return address of a place within the EU

Already had this out with customs and excise and thats what they told me

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
                        to put your mind at rest

i bought a Gears of war pack from them and it arrived within 2 days via parcelforce and i paid nada
                        I ordered some figures from the states and I thought I got away with it yet cutoms sent me a bill through the post 3 months later. Hope that doesn't happen to you though.

Comment

Originally posted by Giga_Death View Post
                          I ordered some figures from the states and I thought I got away with it yet cutoms sent me a bill through the post 3 months later. Hope that doesn't happen to you though.
                          it wont as it was a uk released console

dont worry i will be fine

Comment

I imported a game from Play-asia.com. When it arrived it had a big label on it saying Customs charges of ?14.97. Im just wondering is there a deadline for paying them? Also in the sumamry it says ?6 VAT and ?8 Royal Mail international clearance. So they must have increased their charges.

Comment

Yes, Royal Mail handling charges have doubled. RM have never let me have a parcel without paying up first. Strange that they've released yours.

Comment

agreed with the chap above me

i reckon you've got away with it - its been delivered by accident without recovering the funds

if they come back later and ask for it just say what parcel?

if however bailliffs come and ask for it - write them a cheque

Comment

Working...
                                X