Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woof72 View Post
    Hi All,

I've finally got around to ordering a ps3 and just wanted to check a couple of points first.

I was going to order from VG+. Containing ps3, extra controller, x3 games, this comes to a total of ?364.31, excluding delivery.

Could you tell me roughly would I might expect to pay in total with customs etc. Having a read through the forum, I'm guessing that it's about ?120 if the parcel is checked.

Because I am buying the console I think it all gets shipped using DHL express. Do they tend to send the parcel, then invoice you at the end of the month if customs is due. They don't hold the parcel?

Final point is, what sort of time scale could I expected delivery. Ideally I would like it all to turn up from Tuesday onwards next week?

Many thanks,
    I asked VGP to mark the value down to $20 (and they did). Arrived within two days from Canada (to London), without any problems

Comment

Ouch, just been hit with charges of £21.63 on my Minna No Golf 5 from GCC.

Figured I would be when I saw it was declared as $57. Makes it an expensive game for usre but it is still worth every penny

Comment

Originally posted by woof72 View Post
        I've finally got around to ordering a ps3 and just wanted to check a couple of points first.

I was going to order from VG+. Containing ps3, extra controller, x3 games, this comes to a total of ?364.31, excluding delivery.
        VG+ seem to mark down as a matter of course.

I have never asked VG+ to mark down - I figure that if I did so & the item went missing then it'd be my problem, whereas it remains their responsibility if they mark down on their own initiative - yet they have always marked products' value at $20. This includes a Wii, a PS3 (twice!) and a few orders of games (from a single disk to ?100 worth). All have been marked at $20 and none have been inspected by customs.

Delivery has always been very quick - I've always been given DHL tracking details for the Wii & PS3 consoles and they arrive 2 or 3 working days after shipping.

Stroller.

Comment

Stroller - Thanks for your response. It's a good point you make, as I don't think I would like to have to pay for a replaced ps3 before it turns up.

Strange to think that a few weeks ago, I was going to order the uk package for £425 and 3 games I did not want. Now i'm hopefully just paying £364 (+delivery) with the games I was going to buy in addition.

Great site, and thanks for all the information you provide!

Comment

Is it possible to declare your foreign purchase and pay the VAT in advance without having it seized by customs?

Comment

Originally posted by monomaniacpat View Post
              Is it possible to declare your foreign purchase and pay the VAT in advance without having it seized by customs?
              You may be able to apply for a pseudo-TURN number.

I was allocated one of these a couple of years ago when making a commercial import of 10 x ADSL modem at c ?85 each and got an invoice direct from the Inland Revenue some time after delivery.

A FexEx employee at Stanstead was very aggressive in insisting that I apply for a pseudo-TURN number - I don't think that they were prepared to stump up in advance ?200 in duty on my behalf. Presumably with a smaller import of a non-commercial nature - i.e. a couple of video games - they would be obliged to, but I've never received anything else by FedEx, so couldn't say for sure.

I'm guessing that if you were to give DHL or the Royal Mail your (pseudo-)TURN number then they wouldn't be obliged to pay duty on your behalf & wouldn't be able to sting you for the administration fees, but I don't know how straight-forward this all is.

All I can tell you is that - although I'm happy to use this TURN number for commercial purposes, and happy to pay VAT (& duty, of course) on stuff I plan to resell - since being issued this absolutely nothing sent to my address slips through customs unless it's specifically marked-down. There is no "getting lucky" with import duty for me anymore.

Stroller.

Comment

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me.

I want to buy a Japanese PS2 from Play Asia and I plan to get it delivered by EMS Speedpost rather than UPS, as from what i've read in this thread people are usually being charged by UPS. I was wondering if anyone has dodged customs with EMS Speed post from Play Asia with a console?

So far I haven't been charged any customs fees when importing. Including two items which were not marked down, one being a $200 Dreamcast BBA from the US (eBay) and the other was Trigger Heart Exelica from Play Asia at around $100 I think it was when it came out. I don't know how I dodged it with these. Is there a chance they just got ignored or missed?

Thanks.

Comment

Whats the customs charge for importing a 360 console from the US?

Comment

do play-asia definitely mark things down if asked? i just ordered a cd and some kanji flashcards and the whole thing came up to a whopping £18.53 and i don't trust customs at all to just let it by without a hitch. i chose UPS for the order as the cd is a birthday present for next week, and i know you're more likely to be stung if using a courier (or maybe you're guaranteed to get stung?) than airmail, but i need it quick.

i emailed them (shame i always do things like this on a weekend so won't know until monday) to just knock it down by a few quid, stating i understand that a claim can only be made for the declared amount, but i wasn't sure...

Comment

PA definitely mark down. If you've already ordered and then asked them to mark it down, then I suppose it's not guaranteed. Once the arrangement's made, they usually mark all your orders down by half.

The fact it's with a courier shouldn't make a difference. Customs generally just look at the amount declared on package and then make their charges accordingly. At least, that's what I reckon.

Comment

well as i did the order last night, it's still in the received stage and i can cancel it. d'you think maybe i should do that and then wait for their reply regarding marking down? after which i could then just reorder

Comment

Depends how bothered you'd be if it subsequently went out of stock.

If it's gonna stay in stock, I'd probably re-order, if it was me. That said, if it's not hugely over the ?17 limit, it may not get stopped by customs anyway.

Comment

i would've thought that, but earlier on in this thread someone got stung for also being about 50p over (not to mention the admin fee for that added on top).

i've cancelled it for now and will wait for their reply. as it'll be courier i'd imagine it'll get here easily within the week (assuming the two things are actually in stock) even if i ordered it by tuesday (they say 1-5 days and i'd imagine 5 days is for addresses in the amazon or something).

Originally posted by monomaniacpat
                            Once the arrangement's made, they usually mark all your orders down by half
                            does that mean they can put a note or something on your account so that future orders are also marked down?

thanks for the heads-up btw, much appreciated.

Comment

I'm going to order a PS3 from VG+, what's the best thing to ask them to put on the slip?

What if I ask them to put "Warrant Replacement"? WOuld that get done?

Comment

Just ask Sidney to mark the package down to avoid customs and he'l do whatever's necessary.

Mine turned up saying it was a $20 Toy Game.

Comment

Working...
                                X