No announcement yet.

NTSC-UK Import PlayStation 3 FAQ v2.0 [updated: 18/04/2007]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So in reality, buying an import machine is now irrelevant isn't?

Comment

it seems so as games are region free so you might as well buy the machine in the region you live to save hassle on warranty etc and buy japanese or usa games

as i'm going to buy a uk machine and get my games from japan/usa

only the bluray region is the issue now but quite alot of films is region free anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
        Games can detect the console region and adjust accordingly... for example, Japanese Virtua Fighter 5 will run in English when run on a US/EU console, and some games' online servers are dictated by console region... but this is the exception, rather than the rule.
        does this work for any other games ?

Comment

It's usually only games that were released almost concurrently in all regions - Virtua Tennis 3, Ratchet and Clank Future and Siren are other examples.

Comment

What's the Korean PSN like?
            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by fahrenheit View Post
              Wow, you learn something every day. Thanks for that.

What is interesting about this is that they can't just press one lot of discs. They would have to have a different master for PAL and NTSC titles for every single pressed game. The same is true for the psn titles. They have to roll out multiple versions.

The other thing is, if someone is unfortunate enough to own a display that can only do 576i/p, they will be out of luck as the console will automatically switch over to 480i/p and give them no image (epecially true for US/JP citizens wanting to use PAL tiltes on an SD display). I guess that Sony aren't really concerned with this small number, as they don't care for anyone not buying within their own region anyways.

I think at the end of the day, the case for owning an HD capable display still stands (especially if you intend to buy PAL software).
              Oh, well, that sucks. Guess I can't import anything then. Shame - I quite liked the idea of owning a region-free console, but that just makes it irrelevant.

(And no, I can't afford a new monitor.)
              Last edited by Eight Rooks; 16-09-2008, 02:22.

Comment

A quick question of PSN and Wipeout HD. With everyone on this forum and other friends getting it, I'm tempted to buy it.
                PS3 is US with US PSN account. Would buy with ebayed PSN card. Will I be able to play against EU players?

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                  A quick question of PSN and Wipeout HD. With everyone on this forum and other friends getting it, I'm tempted to buy it.
                  PS3 is US with US PSN account. Would buy with ebayed PSN card. Will I be able to play against EU players?
                  Should be able to, can see US and JPN players in the room list sometimes. (Although mostly the rooms are EU)

Comment

Thanks. As soon the download ends I'll be racing

Comment

semi related but whats the best place to state where you live when using a Entropay card?

I ask becuase everytime I purchase something I lose some of my funds on tax, which is annoying as entropay only allow you to put money in in set amounts meaning if I wanted say two 5 dollar games on PSn I'd need to put in $15 due to the tax.

is there anyway to avoid this?

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstorm View Post
                        is there anyway to avoid this?
                        You need to choose a tax-free state. I chose Delaware. I think New York also doesn't add tax (yet).

Comment

ah I was new york! =) that got taxed by 16 cents for a Soulcalibur IV item set (like I said not much at all but annoying when you have to add in $5 amounts) I'll give delaware a try =) thanks for the tip

Comment

I initially chose Ohio without thinking and then felt dumb when I went to make my first purchase.

Not wanting to repeat the mistake, I did some research and New York was proposing adding tax to online purchases (but it was at the time dismissed). Perhaps that has now changed and the legislation is in place.

It will mean that many people who have been enjoying tax free purchases up until now, will suddenly see the additional charge.

Comment

Apologies since I'm sure it has appeared on here already, but I don't have time to filter through 56 pages of info... I'm looking to get a Japanese 80gb PS3 and am looking to play PS3 games from all regions. Can different region games reside on the same hard disk happily with no problem? And consequently, does the same apply to PS2 game saves imported via a memory card adapter (looking to play Initial D Special Stage).

Many thanks!

Comment

PS3 games are region free but PS1 & PS2 are region locked. I've got PS3 games from the UK, US, Japan & Hong Kong saved on my PS3 as well as downloaded PS1/PS3 games from all of those regions too.

Comment

Working...
                                X