No announcement yet.

NTSC-UK Import PlayStation 3 FAQ v2.0 [updated: 18/04/2007]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, you learn something every day. Thanks for that.

What is interesting about this is that they can't just press one lot of discs. They would have to have a different master for PAL and NTSC titles for every single pressed game. The same is true for the psn titles. They have to roll out multiple versions.

The other thing is, if someone is unfortunate enough to own a display that can only do 576i/p, they will be out of luck as the console will automatically switch over to 480i/p and give them no image (epecially true for US/JP citizens wanting to use PAL tiltes on an SD display). I guess that Sony aren't really concerned with this small number, as they don't care for anyone not buying within their own region anyways.

I think at the end of the day, the case for owning an HD capable display still stands (especially if you intend to buy PAL software).

Comment

I have a problem with my PS3.

I'm playing PS2 games on it and when I switch to full screen (so the game takes up the entire screen) to play the game (I have a 16:9 tv), the ends are cut off (almost like it thinks my screen is bigger than it is). Is there any way to get the game to display to take up the full screen/16:9 without cutting off the edges of the game?

Comment

Is your screen a CRT? Sounds like overscan. How much is getting cropped?

Comment

It's about 1/2 an inch on each side. CRT what's that? I have a 40 inch samsung N87 if that helps.

Comment

I don't think "full" does 16:9 - it seems like 14:9 so that the stretching is more reasonable....

Comment

Not necessarily reasonable if part of the game is cut off :P#

Edit: Kind of figured it out. Put it on Just Scan while playing PS2 games, I think because it was on 16:9 it was stretching too far.
              Last edited by elaniel; 02-04-2008, 10:10.

Comment

anyway to change commands for a JP PS3 so X is confirm rather than cancel please?
                gets me messed up when playing some games and pressing X to confirm but on the XMB X is cancel???
                anyways round this please?

Comment

Couple of quick q's, just got my 20g jpn ps3, am i ok using a 13amp fuse in my kettle lead? Or must it be 5amp? Also are firmware updates included on ps3 discs? Or must they be downloaded? If they are on ps3 games does it matter what region ps3 game i update from? Or should i only update my firmware from jpn ps3 games? Thanks.

Comment

13a is fine, but as with all electrical equipment the lower rating fuse you use (That still allows enough to power the device) the better as it will better protect you potential damage.

As for the firmware, I don't think it comes with new releases (I might be mistaken). You can download it through the XMB or you can get it from the various Playstation regional sites. The image is the same worldwide, so it doesn't matter where it comes from.

Comment

Thanks for the info , would like a definate answer re firmware updates if anyone knows for sure though? Thanks again.

Comment

Get JPN firmware updates Dan. There are sometimes extras like the EDY player etc. Best to just do it via the XMB itself.
                        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I understood that the file was the same everywhere (Same for the PSP) but region specific functionality is locked/unlocked based on the hardware region of the console?

Comment

Problem is, my net access is via one of those mobile broadband dongle things, and the modem needs drivers to be instaled to operate thus cant be used to take the ps3 online. The online side dosent bother me tbh, i knew this before i bought it, however id like to keep the firmware up to date without faffing around with memory sticks so firmware update via ps3 games would be ideal for me. Apperently rachet and clank included firmware updates so i think it is distributed via games also?, but a firm yes or no, would save me some hassle.

Comment

why don't you connect your PS3 to your laptop or computer to get it online

Comment

R&C was the only game that offered an update. It was only to add vibration function anyway.
                                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Working...
                                X