No announcement yet.

NTSC-UK Import PlayStation 3 FAQ v2.0 [updated: 18/04/2007]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know what the official customs duty is payable on a PS3?

Planning on getting one shipped from VG+ & want to calculate the likey overall cost.

Do DHL automatically charge you the duty etc?

Thanks!

Comment

Okay, I've bought a PS3, what sort of stepdown transformer do I need?

Despite a wealth of information existing on this particular subject, it transpired that you don't actually need one! A standard PC/Kettle lead (5 amp) will do the trick, since the PS3 has a 110v-240v power supply built in.
      We have confirmation from SCEA now that the power supply inside the Playstation 3 is, in fact, universal. The power supply supports 100 to 240 volts at 50 to 60 Hertz, which is useable in all modern power grids -- including Europe. Although European markers require a different physical plug for their infrastructure, there is no need to replace the power supply.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4908&ref=y
      Does this still apply? I just bought an 80GB PS3 from here (the US) and I see this but I can't believe it... I just get a new power cord when I return to Finland? (Any will do?) The first post could be updated. Could I get one from Sony? ("I lost my first one?")

I'm only asking this since the sticker on the back says it's "120 V 60Hz".

Comment

Yes, I got an 80GB US model for XMas, and a 5amp kettle lead worked like a dream Mine has the same thing on the back.

Bricking myself at first but it worked fine.

Also for above poster, VGP is known to "Mark down" so you shouldn't really get hit with customs!"

Comment

Just to post a recommendation for renchi.com

I ordered 2 x dual shock 3s, 2 x GT5 prologues and a PS Eye on xmas even and they arrived this morning. No sign of any customs charges yet either.

Comment

Who delivered them? If it's UPS or DHL you'll get a nasty letter real soon.
            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Taka View Post
              Hey folks, sorry if this has been answered elsewhere in this thread (it probably has!) but is it possible to change the language on the main dash (XMB I believe it's called?)? I'm tempted by a ceramic white PS3 from Japan and would like minimise any import woes.
              If you plan to play PS1 or 2 games then get a PAL one. You can change the main language, but the info board will display in Japanese text regardless of the XMB.
              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                Who delivered them? If it's UPS or DHL you'll get a nasty letter real soon.
                DHL :-(

Comment

VG+ marked down both of my PS3's, so I didn't get hit by customs. It was shipped with DHL. So you should be fine Finsbury.

Comment

Hi, Ive tried to have a look at some of the answers to my questions in this thread but couldnt find them. Anyway few questions.

I want to get a US PS3. I wouldnt mind a 60gb with the EE chip but does anyone know anywhere where they are in stock for a decent price and decent import company who may mark the package down? (im in the UK). Or if not a 60gb, a decent price for a 80gb (i gather that the 80gb is software ps2 emulation rather than the chip)? I was going to go with VG+ but they have no 80gb's in stock.

Also with the playstation network can you have a US account and a UK account on the same console and does this effect who you play (i.e us or uk gamers) or is it the game which decides (i.e pal game, pal gamers). Is there any other problems with the account such payments or anything like that?

Are there any other issues?

Thanks guys and sorry for so many questions!

Comment

Originally posted by Danatthepub View Post
                      Also with the playstation network can you have a US account and a UK account on the same console and does this effect who you play (i.e us or uk gamers) or is it the game which decides (i.e pal game, pal gamers). Is there any other problems with the account such payments or anything like that?
                      Can't answer your question about the models themselves, but if they're anything like the 60GBs over here you're just going to have to shop around. I'd be surprised if you find a 60GB unit outside of eBay, but I'd imagine there's still stock of the 80GB if you look around.

With regards to the PSN question you create different profiles on the machine itself tied into each regions store. There were some games at or around launch (Resistance and Motorstorm spring to mind) that forced you to play with owners of the same region game/system but these have since been patched. I do believe MNG still forces you to play with the game region, though I'm not sure that'll change with the EU/US versions released within the next couple of months (Probably not).

Comment

Asking a question in my OP thread, does a Japanese PS3 play US Blurays per chance?

Looking to out my original US 60Gb machine and only really use it for Blurays.

Comment

JPN/US are all region A on Blu-Ray aren't they? Certainly should do.

Comment

Just found out, ta'

Comment

Indeed it does, US and JPN are the same region for Blu-rays.

- - too late - -

Comment

Didn't think this was worth starting a new thread for, so I'll pose it here.

It's been bugging me for a while but does anyone else find the output from their PS3 over component to be a bit on the dark side? (not in the Jedi sense).

Despite tinkering with the options on the XMB Blu-ray movies just seem to be a bit darker than HD-DVD on the 360. Same with games where the image looks a bit brighter on the 360.

The thing that really made this stand out is the Iron Man trailer. Watch it on the PS3 from the store and it's watchable but there's a distinct loss of brightness (and detail) compaired to watching it on HD-DVD and the one that came on with Transformers.

I've got them all connected through a switcher so it's not even like each is on a seperate input with different settings.

Comment

Working...
                                X