No announcement yet.

NTSC-UK Import PlayStation 3 FAQ v2.0 [updated: 18/04/2007]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've downloaded premium content for the US version of Game X, will it work with the UK one

I think I can answer this one the answer is no. I have the Pal version of Genji and it does not allow the use of outfits from the Japanese store. I also have the Japanese version of Ridge Racer 7 and while it of course works fine with content from the Japanese store, content from the UK store does not work.

On a side note Genji PAL has blood in it. I am running it on a Japanese PS3 but im told if its running on a PAL PS3 there is still blood in it so only the region 3 Asian and region 1 American versions are bloodless with the PAL version retaining the blood of the Japanese release.

With regards PS3 saves and getting games uncut I have found some more info out from my own experiments.

To get Resistance Fall of Man uncut on a Japanese machine(and i presume Genji on a US machine and any other game in the future for that matter) what you need is a save file created on an American or PAL console. However and this is something that has not been mentioned, you need to make sure the save file is from the same region game.

For example I have Resistance and its the Asian version(not Japanese) in order to get Resistance uncut on my Japanese PS3 I needed to download a save file created by an Asian copy of Resistance on an PAL or American PS3. Save files created by Japanese versions of the game on PAL or American machines don't work with Asian copies of the copy as the serial numbers are different so the folder containing the save files have different names. Ive tried taking all the infomation out of the Japanese save folder and copying it into the save folder created by the Asian version but had no luck. I got Resistance uncut by download off gamefaq.com a save file created by the Asian version(or HK version as its sometimes known) on a PAL machine giving me full blood on my Japanese PS3.

With regards kurosaki7 comments I think I have an answer to those also.

If you look on the back of PS3(and PSP) games and on the PS3(and PSP) system boxes you see a number next to a world. This is the region code given to the machine by Sony. On PAL and Japanese Machines this is a number 2(not to be confused with the Region 2 DVD logo next to it) on USA machines a 1 and on Asian machines a 3. This is on the back of PS3(PSP) game boxes also.

Now if Sony are going to region lock it makes sence they will use these regions. So if you have a Japanese PS3 like I do you can play Japanese and PAL games(as long as you have an HD TV as the Japanese PS3 cant output PAL and vicea versa). Now recently on Gamecentral the Teletext game service someone wrote in saying that they had a UK PSP and that it was updated with the latest PSP firmware(3.11 I think is the number), now they had a USA copy of Socom 2 and it no longer worked with there PSP. He rang Sony they told him they had put something in the firmware to prevent some USA games working. I presume this thing was something telling the PSP to only accept discs with the region number 2(so Japanese PSP games would be fine). This is stupid if Sony Europe carry on this nonsence as the PSP is already getting outsold badly by the DS(owning both I can see why) it does not need one of its (and handheld gamings) best features taken away.

It must be noted that the firmware for the PS3 is different between the regions. The Japanese PS3 has an option for edy payments which the other two PS3s dont as this has been put into the Japanese firmware only. Also on Japanese PS3s only you can download Japanese PSP firmware to your PSP though your PS3. Im making this point as its my option that only Sony Europe have it in bad for imports(as evident by the fact if you live in America playasia will still sell Japanese PS3 stuff to you where as they wont sell it to Europe) so only the European firmware might contain the code to impose region encoding.

So in closing if you buy a Japanese PS3 im 99% certain that you will still be able to play PAL games if you have a HD TV even if Sony introduce region coding.

Comment

Will updated the system on my Japanese PS3 disable the emotion engine and render most of my PS and PS2 games unplayable?

Comment

I have a Japanese PS3 and the latest firmware 1.60 and all my Japanese PSX/PS2 games work fine so dont worry it wont disable the emotion engine. I doubt any future updates will either it will be too much hassle for Sony. We will miss out on the chance to upscale games but since PSX games look awful in 480p(i have turned my 480p off for this reason) any higher will look even worse. Id rather be able to play 99% of PSX/PS2 games than play 70% but be able to play some in a format they were never surposed to be in anyway.

So anyway updating to firmware 1.60 wont disable the emotion engine.

Comment

hey guys!!

any chance of a sticky like the 360 has for region free games for PS3 please?
          i mean i know they say 99% of em will work, but for sake of argument have a topic that people can check out and lists for e.g -

PAL version of resistance works on JP PS3

etc etc

any chance of this please?

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Monk View Post
            hey guys!!

any chance of a sticky like the 360 has for region free games for PS3 please?
            i mean i know they say 99% of em will work, but for sake of argument have a topic that people can check out and lists for e.g -

PAL version of resistance works on JP PS3

etc etc

any chance of this please?

cheers
            It's totally pointless being that PS3 is region free out of the box, so all games will work on all units.
            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by mononokehime316uk View Post
              I have a Japanese PS3 and the latest firmware 1.60 and all my Japanese PSX/PS2 games work fine so dont worry it wont disable the emotion engine. I doubt any future updates will either it will be too much hassle for Sony. We will miss out on the chance to upscale games but since PSX games look awful in 480p(i have turned my 480p off for this reason) any higher will look even worse. Id rather be able to play 99% of PSX/PS2 games than play 70% but be able to play some in a format they were never surposed to be in anyway.

So anyway updating to firmware 1.60 wont disable the emotion engine.
              Thank you that man

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                It's totally pointless being that PS3 is region free out of the box, so all games will work on all units.
                thanks for the reply joe, but is this 100% true please?
                reason i say that is yesterday i was talking to someone in a local games store near me, and they said tiger woods PAL version dont work on their JP PS3!!!

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                  There are rumours floating around that a couple of games are region locked. iirc the 2K Sports games were specifically mentioned. I agree that there's not much point (at the moment at least) in compiling a region free list but it might be worth people posting a note of any games they either suspect/ know for sure aren't region free.

There's a distinct possibility that people are just confusing video compatability issues (e.g. trying to play a PAL game @ standard def on an ntsc machine) with region locking though...

The following info could be included to help confirm:

Game:
                  Game version (PAL/ JPN/ US/ HK):
                  Console tested on (PAL/ JPN/ US/ HK):
                  Video mode (hi-def or standard def):
                  Last edited by tom-nook; 17-04-2007, 08:55.

Comment

Originally posted by tom-nook View Post
                    There are rumours floating around that a couple of games are region locked. iirc the 2K Sports games were specifically mentioned. I agree that there's not much point (at the moment at least) in compiling a region free list but it might be worth people posting a note of any games they either suspect/ know for sure aren't region free.

There's a distinct possibility that people are just confusing video compatability issues (e.g. trying to play a PAL game @ standard def on an ntsc machine) with region locking though...

The following info could be included to help confirm:
                    yeah good idea tom! maybe a post then on what games ARE NOT multi-region with the PS3, depending on course on people that have tried and tested em!

Comment

I don't think any game is region locked personally. Here is my evidence.

EA Sports Madden 07 on the Xbox 360 is region locked, the American version will not play on PAL machines and vicea-versa. I have a Japanese PS3 I run it in HD, the American PS3 version of Madden runs on my machine. If region locking existed EA would have had it running straight away.

I think what is happening is this. People are trying import games on their consoles but are not running in HD.

A NTSC PS3 American/Asian/Japanese will not run any PAL games in SD and vicea-versa with a PAL unit. This is due to the NTSC PS3 not being able to output PAL and again vicea-versa. This is proven by the way that a Japanese PS3 cant play PAL DVDs despite the same region code. It is also backed up by experiments ive tried myself. Ive downloaded off the UK PS store Tekken, Flow and Super Rub Dub. I also have a PAL copy of Genji(?16 of ebay the camera ruins it but ok for price) Now when I set my PS3 to SD so either NTSC or 480P it cant run any of the mentioned games. This is because these games run in PAL in SD which the NTSC PS3s cant do(or refuse to do). You get an error code.

Now when I run these games in HD either 720P or 1080i (1080P would work too if I could do that)they work because HD is neither PAL or NTSC. Sony's region lock is not the system but the formats PAL and NTSC. They are limiting imports to those that have HD TVs as they are the only people lucky enough to be able to play them unless they have an import machine.

So my opinion is that there are no region locks and the only people having problems are the ones who are running the games from another region in SD.

MLB 2K7 works on my PS3 and its a 2K Sports game(I only have this one as the basketball one I already have that on the 360 and since they are the same there was no need to get it again) is also more evidence that I think people are confusing region with video differences.

Comment

Mono's post explains what the "region-lockout" is IMO. I've not heard of a game giving a region lockout message, only the "game cannot be displayed" prompt I think it is.

Comment

Yeah, I can confirm that too. Run Tekken from UK store on a US PS3 and works fine at 720P and 1080I but refuses to run at 480I or 480P.

However, in contrast to his comments regarding add-on game content, I have downloaded the Decal Packs for Ridge Racer 7 from the UK store and they work perfectly fine with my US copy of the game.

Maybe this is a game-by-game basis?

Comment

I D/L everything from the US or HK stores (with JPN D/Ls to come once the PS Cards are out) so that I can avoid this problem should I ever have to revert back to CRT.
                            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

FAQ updated, chaps.

Comment

I tried super rub a dub on in standard def on my jap ps3 and it runs fine, so its definately on a game by game basis i think

Comment

Working...
                                X