Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 20GB machine is fine.

Both have HDMI.

The 60GB has built-in memory stick ports, though you can use external memory stick adaptors on both anyway, to add these ports to the 20GB. Both support USB stick, HDD's etc.

The 60GB has built-in WiFi. Suppose you could use a wireless bridge on the 20GB.

That is it really. I bought a 20GB and put the money I saved into a 120GB HDD.

Comment

Don't know if these are still current, but:

Speaking of the PlayStation 3s, it looks like we've got some simple, yet tasteful aesthetic differences to coincide with those happier specs on the 60GB / HDMI / WiFi / super-duper $600 unit. Ok, so besides the arrangement of ports on the rear, its mostly it's just a dash of classy silver. We wish there was something more to show (ok, so there are a few more images after the break), but we all know what really counts is on the inside.[Via Joystiq]

and

When Sony gave out the specs on the PS3 earlier tonight, the company mentioned that there would be two configurations: a $500 version with a 20GB hard drive and a $600 edition with a 60GB drive. Turns out that was only half the story. Yes, that pricing and storage info is accurate. But it turns out that there are a lot of other things missing from the lower-end (we can't bring ourselves to call a $500 console "cheap") version, besides an extra 40GB of storage. According to the specs released by Sony, the 20GB version will lack WiFi, a memory card reader and, most significantly, HDMI output. While you could probably get along without WiFi in a home-based console that already has Ethernet, and you can always presumably hook up a memory card reader via one of the unit's four USB ports, the lack of HDMI output makes this pretty much a non-starter for anyone hoping to actually use the PS3's Blu-ray drive for anything more than playing games. Sure, we can understand Sony not wanting to undercut sales of its own dedicated Blu-ray players by offering the $500 PS3 as a cheaper alternative. But if the company was hoping to use the gaming platform as a way to build a base of fans for HD discs, chances are the strategy is going to backfire the first time someone tries playing a Blu-ray flick in their 20GB version and discovers that the unit's lack of HDMI limits them to analog 1080i output (or worse, depending on a disc's use of HDCP). [Via HD Beat]

EDIT: Apparently not current then. Move along... nothing to see here.

Comment

The latter link is outdated. They weren't going to have HDMI on the 20GB, but they added it back in. The 20GB does have HDMI.

Comment

Can anyone tell me what the off the shelf price is for a US 60GB PS3?

Thanks

EDIT - Found it. $599
          Last edited by C'; 02-02-2007, 14:50.

Comment

can anyone tell wat ill need for the controllers to charge? n does it come with the PS3?

Comment

It comes with a USB cable to charge the controllers.

Comment

Plus tax,unless it goes out of state.

@C'

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
                  The 20GB machine is fine.

Both have HDMI.

The 60GB has built-in memory stick ports, though you can use external memory stick adaptors on both anyway, to add these ports to the 20GB. Both support USB stick, HDD's etc.

The 60GB has built-in WiFi. Suppose you could use a wireless bridge on the 20GB.

That is it really. I bought a 20GB and put the money I saved into a 120GB HDD.
                  How much would the memory stick adaptors and wireless bridge cost? The former's probably not that important I guess, but wifi would be nice...

Comment

I plan on buying a ps3 asap, but don't know if I should risk having it marked down and then if something happened being out of pocket - advice please!!! Is there anyway to get full insurance cover and still have it marked down for customs? If not, what do you suggest??

Comment

mark it down and dont use fedex, i got hit with £110

Comment

Is there anyone else I shouldn't use? Is 110 the correct amount and did you have to pay it before or after getting the ps3?

Comment

Are there any problems with using a USB hub with the PS3?

Comment

Originally posted by mzaslam View Post
                            how did you set-up your account? Obviously you cant select UK from the region list on the very first screen which is OK. Until that is it asks for your home address!!

I'm not sure what I should do here seeing as I live in the UK!! Can you tell me what I need to do to bypass this screen.

Thanks
                            I'm interested in the answer to this too, what country should be selected, North America? Will it affect downloading stuff, and is there a way to actually buy stuff from the North American/Japan stores with a U.K credit card? I seem to remember reading somewhere that you need to put in a U.S address? Isn't that a bit dodgy if it's relating to your credit card?

Comment

Got my ps3 on friday, its the 60 gb JAP version i got an extra controller and resistance: fall of man for ?450 with next day delivery (it had already been imported) is that about the normal price i paid ?

Comment

Originally posted by Oh_Mutants View Post
                                I'm interested in the answer to this too, what country should be selected, North America? Will it affect downloading stuff, and is there a way to actually buy stuff from the North American/Japan stores with a U.K credit card? I seem to remember reading somewhere that you need to put in a U.S address? Isn't that a bit dodgy if it's relating to your credit card?
                                Yep it will have an impact as to what region you sign up to.

Stuff goes up in the Playstation Store at different times (like Tekken which has been on the JPN marketplace for a while now but isn't out in the US until sometime this month).

You used to be able to use some UK credit cards to buy stuff from other Marketplaces as it seems some companies didn't verify the address when you were buying things. Although they've closed the loophole now so it's a bit of a nonstarter.

Comment

Working...
                                X