NTSC-UK Import PlayStation 3 FAQ v2.0 [updated: 18/04/2007]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spatial101 View Post
    Yep it will have an impact as to what region you sign up to.

Stuff goes up in the Playstation Store at different times (like Tekken which has been on the JPN marketplace for a while now but isn't out in the US until sometime this month).

You used to be able to use some UK credit cards to buy stuff from other Marketplaces as it seems some companies didn't verify the address when you were buying things. Although they've closed the loophole now so it's a bit of a nonstarter.
    Thanks
    So there's no way to get premium content from the U.S and Jpn Marketplaces?
    And which region would people recommend to enter?

Comment

Hi,

First post on the forum so hi and also thanks for any help you might be able to provide!

I got my US PS3 20GB import last week and it works perfectly - apart from one thing I cannot get it to run in HD .

I have a Samsung HDTV that is about 2 years old, it can (or should) display 1080i through a component cable, but for some reason as soon as I choose 1080i (or anything else other than NTSC) in the display options on the PS3 the TV loses the signal . That is until it reverts back to NTSC (safe mode) again. I am thinking it might be the cheap HD component cable I bought from E-Bay, but any help would genuinely be greatly greatly received!!

Thanks

John

Comment

Originally posted by Oh_Mutants View Post
        Thanks
        So there's no way to get premium content from the U.S and Jpn Marketplaces?
        And which region would people recommend to enter?
        Don't think there is any more (though someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Come March you should be able to sign up for a UK account anyway.

As an interim step I'd go for a US one personally, as it's easier to navigate text wise.

Originally posted by grecianite
        Hi,

First post on the forum so hi and also thanks for any help you might be able to provide!

I got my US PS3 20GB import last week and it works perfectly - apart from one thing I cannot get it to run in HD .

I have a Samsung HDTV that is about 2 years old, it can (or should) display 1080i through a component cable, but for some reason as soon as I choose 1080i (or anything else other than NTSC) in the display options on the PS3 the TV loses the signal . That is until it reverts back to NTSC (safe mode) again. I am thinking it might be the cheap HD component cable I bought from E-Bay, but any help would genuinely be greatly greatly received!!

Thanks

John
        Hello, welcome to the forum

Does it work OK in 720p etc? Do you have any other HD equipment you can plug into the TV to see if it's that?

Alternatively your idea about the cable might be the best place to start.

Comment

I've tried all of the modes and to avail unfortunately. I've jsut purchased an official Sony cable on E-Bay and fingers crossed this will work!

Just to put my mind to rest you do not think this is a compatability issue?

Thanks for your help BTW!

Comment

Hard to say.

Along those lines (albeit HDMI related) this thread shows you might not be alone

and the only solution may be a new TV?

I'd definitely try the new cable first though.

Comment

Please report if the official Sony cable works, I'm having a simliar kind of problem

Originally posted by grecianite View Post
              I've tried all of the modes and to avail unfortunately. I've jsut purchased an official Sony cable on E-Bay and fingers crossed this will work!

Just to put my mind to rest you do not think this is a compatability issue?

Thanks for your help BTW!

Comment

One more quick question.. I have a Toshiba WLT68 which will display 1080p but isn't a 1080p native set. What is the best resolution to set my ps3 up to (via HDMI) when it arrives? 720p, 1080i or 1080p (but then it would have to downscale i guess)?
                I would've thought 720p would've been the best option, but i've heard talk of 1080i being the better option?
                Any advice appreciated

Comment

You can select all that are appropriate in the dash (Once you've done the system update) and after that the game should default to the highest priority resolution that's supported by your TV.

Best bet is to enable/disable the resolutions and test them out with a few games to see. The GT HD demo last night looked absolutely amazing when I ran it last night at 1080i on my Tosh DLP.

Comment

I'd go with that - test what's right for you.

They say 720p is best as it's native but personally I also prefer 1080i. Not so much an issue with the PS3 (yet) but my 360 much prefers 1080i as there was a slight stuttering in Gears' cutscenes that was gone when running in 1080i

Comment

I got that too for Gears (in the video cutscenes, not real-time) at 1280x768 before switching to 1080i.

Comment

I got it on the realtime stuff. As a total guess I'd say its probably got something to do with more grunt being required to do it all progressively.

Comment

Is there any other way to get PS2 saves onto the PS3, than the memory card adapter?

Am I right in thinking that the adapter just transfers the save to the hard drive, & from then on you save directly to the HD?

Comment

I'm wanting to know that myself too, I loathe to spend £10 on a device I'll use like, once.

Comment

You can create an internal memory card for PS1/2 games on the hard drive but I don't think you can transfer old saves to that without the adaptor. All we need is one to share round NTSC, get all the saves transferred to out HD's and bingo, no need to give Sony any more cash than neccesary!

Comment

My PS3 is waiting for me at home, but i don't have the necessary 5 amp kettle lead. Would it be safe to just plug the u.s power lead into my 300w step down convertor in the meantime?

Comment

Working...
                                X