No announcement yet.

Psyvariar: Revision ScoreBoard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'm going for 100% on it too..... and can still get near enough the same level/score ^_^

haven't played psyvariar for ages, might try and get a few in today if i pass by saurs, prefer shikigami no shiro at the moment as its something new to play

Comment

wow, people have really run away with the scoring.....
      looks like alot of catching up to do.

anyway, rj, some questions:

How many levels are needed to complete the game? it says up to 8 levels to be played, but I can only ever get upto 6 then the game ends

If yove completed it fully, whats the ending like?

do you know what criteria are needed in order to unlock other levels when you are choosing? I mean if I get a low buzz, I can access many levels at the select screen.

Does anyone know how accurate a port this was? MLF2 was a crappy port of Shikigami no shiro 1, how well was this port?
      I mean, suddenly at the end, I get all these wierd anime images flashin on screen and they dont appear to have anything to do with the proper game.

What does the AFF RATE do? its sets to 75 default, but I put it down to 0 and saw no real changes in the game. Any ideas? Its supposed to do with flicker or something.

Do you set your controls to have bomber and the mini-bomb-shield on different buttons? I find it easier that way, so 1 button for quick invincibility, and another for the super bomb.

Also, know any other general interesting info? the booklet seems sparse.

Comment

Originally posted by otaku84
        wow, people have really run away with the scoring.....
        looks like alot of catching up to do.

anyway, rj, some questions:

How many levels are needed to complete the game? it says up to 8 levels to be played, but I can only ever get upto 6 then the game ends

If yove completed it fully, whats the ending like?

do you know what criteria are needed in order to unlock other levels when you are choosing? I mean if I get a low buzz, I can access many levels at the select screen.

Does anyone know how accurate a port this was? MLF2 was a crappy port of Shikigami no shiro 1, how well was this port?
        I mean, suddenly at the end, I get all these wierd anime images flashin on screen and they dont appear to have anything to do with the proper game.

What does the AFF RATE do? its sets to 75 default, but I put it down to 0 and saw no real changes in the game. Any ideas? Its supposed to do with flicker or something.

Do you set your controls to have bomber and the mini-bomb-shield on different buttons? I find it easier that way, so 1 button for quick invincibility, and another for the super bomb.

Also, know any other general interesting info? the booklet seems sparse.
        To open the later levels X-C and X-D you have to be a high enough level to get em up, if your below that level after doing 6 stages then the game will just end, i'm sure its somewhere in the thread which level you need to be, i don't know off the top of my head ^_^

All stages are by level though, for example you need to be over level 80 when you get to stage 3, to open 3-3 City. level 56 is to open X-A, as i said can't remember the rest.

No i don't set different buttons for each bomb, just play as normal,

if by port you mean from the arcade then its arcade perfect

Comment

finally.

Area 1: Earth
          6,995,000 / 1107

Comment

Thanks for answering the questions there Mark .

I have uploaded my top Earth score vid here:

It is ~ 7.5M with 100 destruction rate (7.7MB).

Maybe you can give me some tips Mark on getting a little more buzz .

Comment

Antialiasing filter - I turn it all the way down as I need the sharpness (especially for the boss AFX2 where you have to sit dead center of a shot pattern)

Regards to the quality of the port - Psyvariar Medium and Revision ran on suped up PS1 hardware, I've played the arcade version and the PS2 version is crisper. The game layout and endings are identical.

You arent continuing your way through the game are you? Thats a waste if you are.

rjpageuk - your video is NORTY! I'm so rubbish at Earth >_< - you got the destruction routine down wicked! (u playing on 50hz? or is it just the video that's slow?)

Comment

Originally posted by Saurian
                (u playing on 50hz? or is it just the video that's slow?)
                For all PAL users: the video mode resets to 50Hz every time you turn the game on. Please remember to always change it to 60Hz every time you turn it on otherwise the game runs slower and thus you get an unfair advantage.

Some of my initial scores were done like this (and so may still appear on the board) but for quite a while now I have had it exclusively on 60Hz.

Unfortunately when capturing that video, I had to run it on 50Hz due to pathetic sofware which came with my card. I simply ran the replay of my previous best run.

The run was performed in 60Hz, but it was played back to be captured at 50Hz.

Incidentally, if you look at the bombs and lives I do deserve a kicking though, because when practicing, I always play it with 4 lives and 5 bombs so I can practice easiest like this. However for all my high scoring overall score runs I use all settings at default.

Comment

Ill admit, I used continues on the MEDIUM version, just to get to the end, since I dont really like it compared to Revision mode.

Revision mode Ive been practicing solidly with on standard settings and setting the continue option to off.

But I dunno, does anyone else get this?
                  I cant quite finish the game on 1 credit yet, I keep getting the yips.
                  Once I start doing well in higher levels, I freak out, and start speaking to myself in my head, saying YES! IM IN THE ZONE!

Afterwhich I promptly die.

First few levels are ok, because I dont regard them as important, if you know what I mean, but the higher levels, I start thinking that if I screw up here its back to start and then suddenly I lose all control, freak out, and crash into easily avoided shots.

Need to empty my mind a little. Neurotic playing is no good.

Still, so close to that ultimate score. And a whole week before my 3do arrives, so still got time to practice.

Cheers for the info on the AFF rate.
                  Also, checked the topic, didnt see the needed levels for unlocking the more difficult stages.

Anyone know?

until next time fellow shmuppers.

Comment

RULE #1 DONT THINK!!!!

The same thing happens to me - I'm at the stage where I can do all the stages no problem, but I cant put it all together for a 1 credit run. Psyvariar changes pace different from other shoot em ups - the hardest thing to do is change down a gear after an X stage. For example after you've done XA's boss (which leaves me totally hyper) you get Cloudbank or City which is at a relaxed pace. The minute you think (yay I havent touched the bombs, got all my lives, now to do a good XB run... - *bang*)

Comment

well said, and so true!

Might be time to do zen meditation before hand.
                      Tricky though, you gotta rememeber patterns and understand your technique, but also you need to empty your mind of unnecesary rubbish.

The times Ive thought, "ahh yes! the blue enemies that look like mutant rabbits, now I gotta line up to absorb their sho.... <BAM!>"

Still, what a rush hey? 8)

Comment

It was gutting yesterday - I was playing XB:

Did the stage using only 1 bomb, got a decent BUZZ was set up perfectly for the boss. The hardest part of XB boss is to take enough damage off it quickly - you have to make it cancel it's 4th attack (which is pure evil) by bringing it's energy down to critical. I did this wickedly, and everything fell into place perfectly, I was going for a sick score - then on the VERY LAST shot: all I had to do was sit slightly off-centre and level up into the boss to gain a sick amount of levels b4 it self destructs......*BANG!*

Comment

Ugh I feel sorry for you there Saurian.

I have had no real hard luck stories on Psy yet, but plenty on Ika.

Incidentally, forcing the boss to switch patterns on X-B is proving so horrible for me I am considering not doing it.

Do you know how many points I can expect to lose by trying to buzz it normally?

Comment

Originally posted by rjpageuk
                            Ugh I feel sorry for you there Saurian.

I have had no real hard luck stories on Psy yet, but plenty on Ika.

Incidentally, forcing the boss to switch patterns on X-B is proving so horrible for me I am considering not doing it.

Do you know how many points I can expect to lose by trying to buzz it normally?
                            There's a damn good emergency tactic for this u know!

If you level-up "into" the boss once a shot pattern starts - hold it there while firing for as long as possible then throw a short bomb, continue to hold it there while firing and you'll get an additional level-up, once again hold for as long as possible while firing - the damage this deals is MASSIVE. If you dont mind sacrificing a bomb on this boss try this tactic. The reason I always go for it is because it's so easy once it switches! You dont have to worry about the bar or timing, you just follow the flow.

Comment

Originally posted by rjpageuk
                              http://www.satcom.co.uk/images/misc/psy-earth-7564500.avi

You are indeed

Comment

damn, do I really need to be level 85 to acces level 3-C as stated earlier in the topic?

Ive been practicing and at the moment on the practice levels the best I can do is level 59

In game Ive only gotten 54 so far.

Any tips?
                                what is level 3-C?

a list of needed levels would be great if anyone has them.

Comment

Working...
                                X