Advice on setting up Xbox Live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on setting up Xbox Live

I'm not on Live yet and would like help from you experienced people, please!

At present I don't have enough bandwidth so I know I'd need to upgrade to at least 600KB. We currently use a USB connection from the modem to the PC as we don't have an Ethernet card.

I'd like to know what you think the best way is for me to set it up so I can use Xbox Live and the PC online at the same time?

Do I need to change to Ethernet, what routers are good etc?

All information and advice greatly received.

MJ

The cheapest way to do it is to install a network card (cost about a tenner) in the PC, run the Windows Networking thing, and make the PC act as a network router for the XBox (there should be lots of details about doing this online somewhere).

Alternatively, you could buy a proper hardware router with either USB and Ethernet simultaneous connections, or just multiple ethernet connections and the card above. Its more expensive, but allows you to use the XBox with the PC switched off, and is a lot more secure.

Comment

Thanks mid.

Originally posted by mid
      Alternatively, you could buy a proper hardware router with either USB and Ethernet simultaneous connections, or just multiple ethernet connections and the card above. Its more expensive, but allows you to use the XBox with the PC switched off, and is a lot more secure.
      I forgot to ask about the scenario that would allow me to play Live without my PC being on.

I want to cover all scenarios because my sister uses the PC quite frequently so I'd want to be able to use Live without one or the other being disrupted.

Comment

If thats the case, I'd definitely recommend buying a proper router and ethernet card.

Is it ADSL you're running? If so, ADSL Guide are the best people for router reviews. I'm very happy with my Solwise SAR-715, but configuration on one of them isn't for the feint-hearted, so you'd probably want something else.

Comment

I found a router and network card that I'm happy with.

Do I need RJ45 Cat 5e patch cable or crossover cable?

Comment

this page (or one of the links should tell you)

Comment

Originally posted by davidholliss
              this page (or one of the links should tell you)

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/live/start...aq/routers.htm
              Thanks, but I've already had a look at the Xbox site. The only thing I found was on one of the deeper pages and it said you'll need three RJ-45 Ethernet cables, but I've been to some online shops and they sell RJ45 Cat 5e patch cables and crossover cables and I'm unfamiliar with networking.

Comment

You'll need patch if you're using a router.

Comment

I think you only need a crossover cable if your connecting PC to PC.

Comment

Crossover cables are sometimes needed to connect between switches and routers.

Get one of those autodetecting netgear ones, then it doesnn't matter what cables you've got.

Comment

I'm still not on Live!

Recently I've seen ADSL modem routers that allow you to connect with USB and ethernet, so you could run the USB to your PC and the ethernet to your Xbox without the need for a seperate router or ethernet port on the PC.

We have NTL broadband with a cable modem, is this different to ADSL?

Are cable modem routers available that have ethernet and USB dual compatability?

Do I know what I'm talking about?!

Comment

Yes there are such routers, but it's much better to put a network card in your PC and connect them all by ethernet. It's the preferred product.

Comment

cable modem
                          |
                          router
                          |......|__________________
                          |....................................|
                          |....................................|
                          PC...............................Xbox (ethernet)

All connected using ethernet cables.
                          This configuration would allow live use with the PC on or off.

Comment

The whole thing can be quite confusing at first, luckily if you do a search on google you shoudl find guides. I hooked up mine the cheapest and easiest way. With a network card and a crossover cable(this is just a patch cable with the wires "crossed over")

Modem plugs into the pc's usb port as usual. My xbox plugs into the network card with a crossover cable(MUST be a crossover cable). Install internet connection sharing on windows and you're ready to go! The xbox has an auto config option and that worked fine for me.

Of course with this method you have to have your pc on all the time and a router is supposed to work better. But I've kept this way until I one day am bothered to buy a router!

Comment

Thanks people.

Comment

Working...
                              X