Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well this is everything:

Base
    Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Q8300 Processor (2.50GHz, 4MB cache, 1333MHz FSB)
    Memory
    4096MB Dual Channel DDR3 [4x1024] Memory
    Keyboard
    Dell™ USB Entry Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)
    Monitor
    Dell ST2310 23" Full HD Widescreen Monitor - UK/Irish
    Video Card
    ATI Radeon™ HD 5450 1GB DDR3 graphics
    Hard Drive
    750GB (7200rpm) SATA Hard Drive

I guess the problem is the PSU may not be powerful enough if I update the graphics card? Plus I've never opened a cabinet up anyway to check.

Here is the link to it: http://configure.euro.dell.com/dells...=D005641&s=dhs

It's weird that the video played so well and the score was so shocking (only about 200 more than my alienware laptop from 3 years ago that wouldn't even display a video)
    Last edited by elaniel; 10-07-2010, 15:03.

Comment

Can't find anywhere that states the PSU wattage, I would say if the benchmark look and runs satisfactory I would just go with it as it is.

Comment

Thanks for looking though! I think I'll just have to run with it and hope when the beta opens up that it works. I'll just worry about it then if not. (Maybe open it up to have a look at the PSU when I have time next weekend for curiosity sake)

Reading about, the scores don't seem to be very accurate at all according to some people.

Comment

From what I can tell, it has a 300W PSU which means you should be able to run a GT240.

Still not a powerhouse but I'd imagine it'd get 30fps+ on medium settings.

Comment

Will this GT240 definitely work fine? And display 1920x1080 okay?
            Last edited by elaniel; 10-07-2010, 21:06.

Comment

Recently got pretty much the same Dell PC as you elaniel the only differences being I went for

CPU: AMD Phenom™ II X4 820 (2.8GHz, 6MB Cache)
              Memory: 6144MB Dual Channel DDR3
              HDD: 1TB (7200rpm) SATA Hard Drive

and my benchmark figures are pretty much the same disappointingly

High (1080p): 337
              Low (720p): 692

Also investigating replacing the 5450 , was busy in XI last night so had to miss out on the first beta night.
              Last edited by redael; 11-07-2010, 07:55.

Comment

Originally posted by elaniel View Post
                Will this GT240 definitely work fine? And display 1920x1080 okay?
                It *should* work fine on the PSU in your system but can't garentee it for sure. Remember distance selling laws allow you to return things for any reason if it doesn't work. Put it in as soon as you get it and run it through some benchmarks on loop. If you get artifacting, crashing or rebooting, the psu can't take it.

Here's some benchmarks for it (comparing the 512mb model to the 1gb one)

1000 for FFXIV in 1080 (just under what's playable according to square)
                2000 in 720p (more than comfortable)

Comment

I'm thinking of actually returning the Dell now under DSR. As even they recommended to me that the card would be fine (the 5450). I'll see what they say when I call. As my mother just offered to give me the extra to upgrade to that other pc you recommended to me.

Comment

If you're going to so that, remember you've only 7 working days from receipt.

Comment

I have a 2 year old Dell Vostro 200 (Core2Duo E4500 @ 2.20GHz) with 3Gb Ram and an ATI 512MB Sapphire HD 4670 (this was the best graphics card that could be fitted with the stock PSU) and (under Windows 7 64 Bit) I get around 1700 (I forget the exact score) in the 720P benchmark and it looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                        If you're going to so that, remember you've only 7 working days from receipt.
                        Yes, they have said it's fine as I was missold the goods.

Ill take your advice from my other thread and buy that one you recommended (as there's a 5% off voucher.)

Hopefully that PC will definitely work out fine. I may send you a PM if it's okay tomorrow?

Comment

Actually seems like there's a new config on that site which gives the same level of performance as the one I customised before but for £50 less.

Gotta love buying PCs, you can always wait a bit longer or spend a little more...

Comment

So what's the new config if you'd be so kind?

Comment

Purchase a Prebuilt Gaming PC or customise one to suit your needs, budget and preferences for a perfect Gaming PC.

Change the Ram to 4gb
                              GPU to 5770
                              PSU to 600w
                              HDD to 500gb (the one that's £5 extra)

Should come to £471 inc. vat

Comment

It actually works out more expensive, as it doesn't come with any Operating System

Comment

Working...
                                X