No announcement yet.

Final Fantasy XIV news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm really liking the more casual direction this has apparently taken since FFXI (which I also loved but just didn't have the time for).

Just bought a new PC for it but reading how much of a resource hog it is is making me nervous...

Comment

Originally posted by Jusatsushi View Post
      Just bought a new PC for it but reading how much of a resource hog it is is making me nervous...
      You should be fine unless you were really on a budget.

I'm tempted to download it just to see how it'll run on mine, but then I'll like it, and then I'll play it, and then I'll die.

Comment

Anyone else just been knocked out?

Comment

Originally posted by Orgun View Post
          I didnt even bother using the downloader, its dreadful. I ended up just downloading the client and all the updates via a torrent.
          Where are you getting it from?

Comment

Hmm, seems to be moving in the client now. I'll leave it overnight I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
              Where are you getting it from?
              Do you have uTorrent? Go into My Documents > My Games > FFXIV Beta Version > Downloads > ffxivbeta > d96437e6 > Metainfo and open the file with the date of the update on. Make sure the official downloader is closed and save the patch file. Once it's finished open the official downloader again and it should scan it at 100% and install. H2010.8.30 is 4.6gig i think

Comment

I have no idea what's causing you lot to crash. Maybe something in the code since Beta 2, around the time mine ran perfect, you were experiencing random issues. Been on for 12hours today without a hitch.

Comment

Originally posted by talizker View Post
                  Istory and starting in Gridania.
                  Done the same.

Name - Ark Angel

Comment

Well I'm still learning. It seemed everytime I hit an enemy it reloaded my quiver for some reason, which caused me to get killed.

So that won't be happening again!

Comment

Put a hour or so in to it now, not really doing any quest just looking around to many people around to even fight stuff, game does need some ffxi style chat shortcuts as it super annoying.

Other than that i think i'll need to buy a new PC, its just not quite up for the challenge with framerate drop all over in busy areas with 10+ charcters running around on the default window setting(1280/720), moves and looks great in cutscenes and on myown at least. Not looked at the world of PC technology in 3 years so i haven't a clue whats good atm, or if i can get away if just upgrading bits of my current PC. Any suggestions, probably wouldn't above 1k in my budget.

current setup is Intel core2 @2.4, 2gig of ram, Geforce GTS250.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobal View Post
                        Put a hour or so in to it now, not really doing any quest just looking around to many people around to even fight stuff, game does need some ffxi style chat shortcuts as it super annoying.

Other than that i think i'll need to buy a new PC, its just not quite up for the challenge with framerate drop all over in busy areas with 10+ charcters running around on the default window setting(1280/720), moves and looks great in cutscenes and on myown at least. Not looked at the world of PC technology in 3 years so i haven't a clue whats good atm, or if i can get away if just upgrading bits of my current PC. Any suggestions, probably wouldn't above 1k in my budget.

I'm basically in the exact same situation Tob, currently running a Core2Duo @2.2, 4Gb and an ATI 4670. I can't go any better with the graphics card due to the psu and at the end of the day its a 3 year old ish machine and the whole thing needs an update. Thanks to consoles I never thought i'd be looking at upgrading my PC for a game again! Damn you FF ^_~

Comment

I've noticed a few small frame rate drops during city sections, but it's easily manageable for me. Most annoying part is the time it's taking people to spawn in busy areas (which is a normal occurance in games, but still bugs me)

Comment

Originally posted by Tobal View Post

You could get something like this, A barebones case with motherboard, Intel I5 (Quad Core) processor, 4gig Ram and 750W PSU.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/p...BB-I5764G.html

Then move your current DVD drives and Hard drives (if they are Sata) over to it, then just grab a decent Gfx card, you might also need a new windows license unless you can get MS to let you transfer your existing one.

Nvidia 460 is the newest sweet spot for price/performance as well as the ATI 5850, both should handle the game fine.

This is basically what i'm running now with the nvidia 460, though my processor and PSU are older lower grade, the FFXIV benchmark scored just under 5000 on 720p.
                            Last edited by mikewl; 04-09-2010, 12:47.

Comment

Need some advice as I'm researching at work. How exactly do you tell if your weapons and armors need repairing?

I guess as an archer Carpentry will be my best field. I take it I just buy a saw and can repair my bow?

Comment

Right fianlly have the beta followed Talizker onto Istory - Tsingtao Seraphian!

Right will have a poke around later as a marauder...

Comment

Working...
                                X