No announcement yet.

Wipeout 2097 - absolute class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can you rate wip3out SE two games below wip3out?

It's the same game, but with more courses!

Comment

Originally posted by Papercut
      How can you rate wip3out SE two games below wip3out?

It's the same game, but with more courses!
      Those extra courses, which were 'remakes' of previous courses, but narrowed to take into account the extra strain on the processor which made them inferior IMO to the originals.

Comment

wipeout 2097 r0xx0rs over a LAN.

you can limit frame rate with many video drivers nowadays, not sure if it fixes 2097 though. It was designed for the first gen of Direct3D with the 3DFx and PowerVR cards. Works with my imported 3DFx Banshee

there was a lobby patch for 2097, but it was only available for the US XL localisation. I remember getting it working with some hackery, but I don't know where to obtain the patch now.

2097 has recently-ish been released for the Mac too, complete with lan play.

Comment

MID.
          There is a multiplayer patch supposedly floating about on the Wibbly Wobbly Web which locks the framerate at 30. I'm off to find it. If it works we can race on the internet my man!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian(not Ian)
            Those extra courses, which were 'remakes' of previous courses, but narrowed to take into account the extra strain on the processor which made them inferior IMO to the originals.
            doesn't explain why you'd mark it lower than 3.

Comment

heres the lobby patch, but the link doesn't work for me:

it's the XL version, as I mentioned earlier. needs a bit of hacking to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian(not Ian)
                There is a multiplayer patch supposedly floating about on the Wibbly Wobbly Web which locks the framerate at 30
                Oooh bloody hell. Really? I was assured by some guy at Psygnosis that it wasn't patchable when I contacted them about it a couple of years back. But then, they re-released it a while ago on budget, and surely they wouldn't do that if any modern PC breaks it?

The Direct3D version is really very shiny indeed in comparison to the PS release as well, so getting it running again would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by mid
                  Oooh bloody hell. Really? I was assured by some guy at Psygnosis that it wasn't patchable when I contacted them about it a couple of years back. But then, they re-released it a while ago on budget, and surely they wouldn't do that if any modern PC breaks it?

The Direct3D version is really very shiny indeed in comparison to the PS release as well, so getting it running again would be great.
                  Mid. As it was re-released on budget some time ago there may be more info from the new label's webpage. Do you have the budget version?

I've downloaded the multiplayer patch from 3Dgamers. It offers IPX, Serial and Internet play options with a lobby for hosting / joining. Sadly when run the netplay app announces the 'Wipeout 2097 is not properly installed'. I'm still trying though. Someone may have found a fix for the fix and posted it on the Information Superhighway.

Comment

Originally posted by Papercut
                    doesn't explain why you'd mark it lower than 3.
                    Sorry mate, but it does explain it. I bought SE on day of release (being the wipEout fan I am) and was sorely disappointed with the 'Special' remakes of classic tracks from yesteryear, which did not play nearly as good as the originals they were spawned from. They also lost most of their style too.

Comment

Wipeout 2097 PC budget release by Dice:

who have no downloads (maybe the budget version is already patched) and suggest using cpukiller to limit speed:

As with my earlier post about the lobby patch, this will no doubt be ignored by the UK's Biggest Wipeout Fan TM.
                      Last edited by Papercut; 16-06-2004, 18:33.

Comment

Wasn't ignoring you Mr. Cut, look at the time of posting, both your lobby post and mine were within a minute of each other. Given the time it takes to read, then type a reply I'm sure you'll agree we both posted at the same time pretty much.
                        So.....From the UK's Biggest wipEout fan to the other UK's biggest fan excepting SE, let's agree wipEout 2097 is the best and leave it at that.

Comment

fair play.

Comment

Mid, Papercut and co...
                            I have found an updated internet patch for PC 2097 which does lock the framerate to 30. Best played with friends though, or it's a lonely ol' timetrial.

Anyone who fancies it with PC 2097 post here when patched and we'll see if we cant create a session for NTSC-UK wipEout fans.

Comment

I get the same message that you mentioned before about "Wipeout 2097 is not properly installed" when I tried that patch. Does it have to be installed somewhere specifically?

Comment

It needs certain registry settings before it will run, which should be there from the install of the game itself.

Comment

Working...
                                X