No announcement yet.

Wipeout 2097 - absolute class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sold my 2097 a few weeks back but then started missing it so bought it again (car boot sale!). Recently picked up Wip3out but haven't had a chance to play it yet. Probably won't until I get bored of playing Vib Ribbon, tbh.

Anyway - back on topic - a classic, classic game. Can remember first seeing it back in the day in a nightclub in Cardiff of all places - stunned me then - still looks ace today.

Comment

Sean - did you get 'basic' Wip3out, or WipEout 3: Special Edition? The latter (good luck in finding it with the original artwork, though; it's much easier to find in a cheap twinpack with Destruction Derby 2) has got 10 more tracks and I prefer the ever so slightly floatier handling.

Comment

Oh - just the basic one - but it was only fifty pence at the boot sale. Good condition, too.

Comment

Nice. It's worth a fair bit just for the artwork, even if you were to get the SE as well. If not, it's still a damn fine game in its own right (I much prefer it to 2097, personally)

Comment

Originally posted by Concept

What was that attack for?

I may not have artriculated myself fluently, but I gave my thoughts on why I preferred Wipeout 3 over 2097. The whole point of this thread, no?
            I was being sarcastic.

Comment

The Macintosh version of Wipeout 2097 (Which is no longer on sale) was faultless and at the correct speed, so maybe it's the best version...!

Comment

I got the ost of this..and it was missing the one track I wanted (a fsol number)

Comment

The 2097 soundtracks are quite interesting actually - only the Ps1 version has the licensed (Sony?) music tracks.

The PC version and Saturn versions featured music all written by Psygnosis' in-house musician Tim Wright (Cold Storage). The Saturn version has one extra music track over PC though, a 10 minute remix of Body in Motion called Body Plus.

From Wikipedia:

Music tracks

* Future Sound Of London: We Have Explosive (PlayStation exclusive)
                  * Future Sound Of London: Landmass (PlayStation exclusive)
                  * Fluke: Atom Bomb (Straight Six Instrumental)(PlayStation exclusive)
                  * Fluke: V6 (PlayStation exclusive)
                  * Chemical Brothers: Dust Up Beats (PlayStation exclusive)
                  * Chemical Brothers: Loops Of Fury (PlayStation exclusive)
                  * Photek: The Third Sequence (PlayStation exclusive)
                  * Underworld: Tin There (edit)( PlayStation exclusive)
                  * Prodigy: Firestarter (Instrumental)(PlayStation exclusive)
                  * CoLD SToRAGE: Canada
                  * CoLD SToRAGE: Body In Motion
                  * CoLD SToRAGE: Kinkong (Saturn/DOS exclusive)
                  * CoLD SToRAGE: Plasticity (Saturn/DOS exclusive)
                  * CoLD SToRAGE: Messij Xtnd (Saturn/DOS exclusive)
                  * CoLD SToRAGE: Tenation (Saturn/DOS exclusive)
                  * CoLD SToRAGE: Surgeon (Saturn/DOS exclusive)
                  * CoLD SToRAGE: Hatapik Murder (Saturn/DOS exclusive)
                  * CoLD SToRAGE: Messij Received (Saturn/DOS exclusive)
                  * CoLD SToRAGE: Body Plus (Saturn exclusive)

Comment

That list isn't complete. The Pal PSOne version had the track 'P.E.T.R.O.L' by Orbital. It's basically the same track as the track 'Wipeout' they did for the first game but with a faster BPM.

Comment

I've just had a look at the track listing for the 2097 soundtrack CD and 'P.E.T.R.O.L.' is definately on there.

Also (and this is a surprise) so is Daft Punk's amazing second single 'Musique'. Given that this track was only released on White Label and the now OOP 'Da Funk' re-release CD, it makes the soundtrack CD an essential purchase for anyone who hasn't got this track.

I wonder if 'Musique' appeared on the French version?

Comment

Anyone else think Tim Wright's "Cold Storage" tracks are actually superior to the licensed tracks? There were some absolute stunners for the original Wipeout (Shamen! Hardfloor!), as well as Tim's own tracks (Cairodrome and DOH-T are my picks), but here... I'm much much less impressed with the artist tracks for 2097. Fluke went more minimal and far less fun, Photek forgot how to program interesting drum patterns, and do NOT get me started on the Prodigy! The Underworld and FSOL tracks are class though. Oh yes, and "Musique" is probably my favourite Daft Punk track, so... I suppose there are a few decent ones on there.

Comment

I agree. I also thought the first game had a better soundtrack.

A lot of the licenced tracks in 2097 aren't suited for racing imo. What I want is something that pumps and builds, like Chemical Beats from the first game. Cold Storage realised this and recorded tracks that suit the pace of the game perfectly, but the tracks licenced by Psygnosis in 2097 were all wrong imo. They were clearly there for the marketing potential.

Comment

I'm with you too, the Cold Storage tracks are my favourite, although of course the strongest tracks in 2097 are also in the ps1 version.

Comment

Your right, 2097 is absolute class

I having been loving Wipeout Pure for the last four months, due to the fact it plays just like 2097, and has ghost sharing ability. It was like a dream come true!

Have you played Pure yet? I would like to know how you think it compares.

The Ghost Challenge website is over here if your interested.

A new set of courses is due for download at the start of August It contains a set of 'classic' tracks - hopefully a few of the 2097 tracks will be in there!

I purchased a copy of 2097 about 5 years ago, little did I know it was a 'rental' copy and only has 7 music tracks on it. Luckily it has my favourites on it though. I must get the full soundtrack...

If you loved 2097, get yourself a PSP and a copy of Pure - you wont regret it

Comment

Here's some more info about the Mac version of Wipeout 2097, as it's not very many times I get to use the expression "The Mac version of the game was best".

Ported by a UK company Virtual programming in the UK and distributed in the US by Freeverse. 64MB ram/333Mhz processor required.

Still works great with the patch on the latest version of Tiger, the game has selectable frame rates from 30 to 120. 30 being normal speed, 120 being insane speed. Multiplay and Single play versions are included. The music is all the Cold Storage tracks. Highest supported res is 1024x786, and it looks rather like this:

Still plays absolutely perfect. Awesome for your PowerBook on the plane.

Comment

Working...
                                X