Which Game Gave Us The Most freedom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Game Gave Us The Most freedom?

Hi im knew here, after an eighteen month sabatical from all things gamesites, i decided to end my exodus at NTSC, looks pretty cool these days.

My favourite game of all time is Mr Do! (Universal 1982 fact fans)

Now I was playing it the other day and remembered just how much freedom there was; 4 ways to finish each level, different strategies for the same stage and the oppurtunity to mix those strategies up. So a simple game with well defined game rules becomes quite deep and its pacey arcade gameplay is underpinned by a player startegy that enhances the experience, opening the door for tension and emotion. The lack of continues means there is a real sense of loss when you lose a man.

I dont believe modern games offer anything like that amount of freedom, and I struggle to find many older titles ( bar Sonic ) that can match this. Thoughts please...

Well, there's a fair old bit of freedom in 1984's Elite; isn't 8 galaxy's worth of trading, piracy, bounty hunting and cop-goading enough?

Comment

Morrowind has absolutely loads of freedom. I've played it twice and both time I haven't even bothered following the main story. I've no idea what the actual point of the game is but so far I've become the head of the thieve's guild, fighters guild, assasins guild, I've wiped out most of the rival guilds and I've now taken to just wandering the land Clint Eastwood style. Maybe one day I'll follow the story.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero 1
        Hi im knew here, after an eighteen month sabatical from all things gamesites, i decided to end my exodus at NTSC, looks pretty cool these days.

My favourite game of all time is Mr Do! (Universal 1982 fact fans)
        Wow! Somebody who rates Mr Do, as highly as I do. Love that game! Yeah, eat all the cherries on a level, kill all the monsters, what are the other ways, my memory fails me....

Gunrock

Comment

Vice City gave a lot of freedom as you could traverse pretty much every part of the islands. But in terms of retro gaming id have to say...........i have no idea. lol

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock
            Wow! Somebody who rates Mr Do, as highly as I do. Love that game! Yeah, eat all the cherries on a level, kill all the monsters, what are the other ways, my memory fails me....

Gunrock
            its possible to get an extra man on each level by using only apples and not the power ball to dispatch the enemies, then take out the letters henchmen in the same way (only level seven prevents this as the apples are set too low). The other way is a bit of a bug (or like f zeroes snake trick) you need to half place an apple over the food in the middle of the screen anywhere so that it falls down the passage if slightly pushed, as one of the diggers goes under it, it will slide and drop toward the bottom of the screen, hit the food at the same time as the apple, and as Mr Do! does his handstand and plummets the next screen starts, sounds tricky but onece you have the timing its quite easy. Then theres the diamond.

Incidently did you know that on the hundreth screen (00) all the meanies run away from you including the letters and hench men? makes the screen really difficult, but great fun.

and one last little known fact, if you eat a cherry from three directions without devouring it, it becomes a rose?

22 years and still loving it, wonder how many other games will hve that kind of longevity?
            Last edited by Zero 1; 14-07-2004, 20:42.

Comment

Originally posted by jezzace
              Morrowind has absolutely loads of freedom. I've played it twice and both time I haven't even bothered following the main story. I've no idea what the actual point of the game is but so far I've become the head of the thieve's guild, fighters guild, assasins guild, I've wiped out most of the rival guilds and I've now taken to just wandering the land Clint Eastwood style. Maybe one day I'll follow the story.

Sounds great, I couldnt get into it, maybe because i was looking for a story instead of making one myself. Is that the game of the year edition?

Comment

Originally posted by mid
                Well, there's a fair old bit of freedom in 1984's Elite; isn't 8 galaxy's worth of trading, piracy, bounty hunting and cop-goading enough?

slipped my mind, but it was roughly the same era, i just wonder why most modern games seem to want to lead the player and funnel them in certain directions.

Elite was indeed sublime as was the almost forgotten Starion, looking back the sentinel was much the same.

I guess the most modern example wold be the GTA series, but the game mechnics dont seem to offer a pacy feel of danger, or is it just me?

Comment

Working...
                X