No announcement yet.

time to brag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah crime converters can be really good for stuff sometimes.

I'm shocked they haven't all been closed down really. The amount of potentially dodgy stuff they sell I'm sure a chunk of it must be hookey.

Comment

I know it's totally blatant.

Comment

almost as good as my 2 DCs both boxed (tho one has a tempremental AV socket), 10 games inc Resi 2, Code Veronica, Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure amongst others, 3 pads, keyboard and rumble pack for ?20 down the car boot

Comment

Comment

Have you ever tried to sell anything to Crime...., sorry, 'Cash Converters'? A friend of mine got rid of his N64 and they wanted to see and take a copy of his passport, driving licence and two utility bills!! I think most of the stuff in there must be straight.

Comment

They've bought off me with just one household bill requested... but I wouldn't sell anything games-related in there as you're bound to get a better price off Gamestation (with very, very few exceptions).

Gamestation don't ask for anything off me, even when I'm selling hardware: I must just have a trustworthy face...

I've seen Crime Convertor staff refuse chavs even when they had a plethora of ID; obviously, they just didn't want to deal with them...

Comment

The trouble with Cash Converters is that all the stores are all owned by different people and they simply use the Cash Converters banner. That means some stores are great and others are complelely overpriced. The Loughborough branch is my local, and they rarely have any bargains (Guardian Heroes for ?3 was the last one I saw). I used to live in a town called Hinckley and the closest Cash Converters was in Nuneaton (near Coventry) and from about 1996-1998 that place was a goldmine. I got a totally mint copy of Shining Force CD for ?3 and a load of other less rare Mega CD games for a ?1 each. Japanese Megadrive games were all a fiver each, no matter how rare a title they were. I also got Snatcher on the Mega CD for a tenner, which seems pricey but I sold it on about a month later for ?40 to Retro Exchange in London. God knows what they sold it on for. I also got a mint Master System II with two pads for ?3.99.

Comment

?10 for Mega CD Snatcher is the very antithesis of "pricey".

I would've squirted if I'd've seen that...

Guardian Heroes for ?3 is again the stuff of squirt dreams...

There's also Cash Generator, which I believe is a chain so the prices are nationwide and "harmonised" i.e. it doesn't matter what Saturn game it is, they're all ?2.49 - doesn't matter what DC game, they're all ?2.49 etc...

Comment

If your local Cash Convertor is in the same city as a GameStation then its bound to be full of junk. My local just sells all the stuff that GS won't accept so it's full of chipped PlayStations and Dreamcasts with bits falling off. They used to be great for US SNES games but they seem to have all dried up in the last couple of years.

Comment

Guardian Heroes for ?3 is again the stuff of squirt dreams...
                      Indeed. I held off getting it, when back to work to check the value on ebay and found copies going for ?50+...went back to Cash Converters about half an hour later and they'd sold the fecker. I already owned a copy so it was just the profit I was annoyed about losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Duddyroar
                        Indeed. I held off getting it, when back to work to check the value on ebay and found copies going for ?50+...went back to Cash Converters about half an hour later and they'd sold the fecker. I already owned a copy so it was just the profit I was annoyed about losing.
                        The first rule of retro game profiteering is never ever hesitate. If you are pretty certain that it is a bargain then buy it. When I started collecting I was unsure over bubble bobble on the PS1 for ?10. Actually put it down once and decided against it then thought what the hell. I got home a confirmed they were fetching ?30 - ?40 on ebay.

Today I picked up Phantasy star on GC for ?15, ESPN track and field PS2 ?8 and the monkey island bounty pack PC ?4. Not a bad day.

EDIT: this monkey island pack:

Last edited by superstarbeejay; 22-10-2004, 17:11.

Comment

Jesus: I thought you had the GH for ?3...

'Scuse me... [kicks own ass as proxy for yours]

Sorry dood : for bubblegum money I wouldn't have thought about it twice, even if I hadn't a clue what it was... it says Treasure on the box!

Comment

Originally posted by anephric
                            There's also Cash Generator, which I believe is a chain so the prices are nationwide and "harmonised" i.e. it doesn't matter what Saturn game it is, they're all ?2.49 - doesn't matter what DC game, they're all ?2.49 etc...
                            Fraid not m8, Huddersfield Cash Generator is LOADS cheaper than Coventry one, I'm afraid it appears to be another "franchise" job.

All Ps2/XB/GC games are ?12.99 in huddersfield branch, they're all individually priced starting from ?14.99 in cov, PS1 games are ?2.99 in hudds, ?4.99 in cov etc.

Tho I did pick up Strider 1+2 from there for ?4.99 today which seemed cheap to me as I've only ever seen it new for ?20. Disc looks like it's been put thru a grinder tho :/

Only problem I have with retro is I never have money when I find the bargains, tho I did manage to get ?4 together to buy Bubble Bobble and Rainbow Islands for the PS1 when GAME had it in mint condition.

Unfortunately profiteering from retro is very difficult as game values fluctuate like mad on an almost hourly basis (i.e. look at the same game on ebay, sometimes 1 will be fetchin ?40 while the other gets ?10) all pot luck really, generally I've never had a problem making profit on what I've bought, (and if I do, can always get a m8 to bid it up for me )
                            Last edited by MikeRox; 22-10-2004, 17:52.

Comment

Won a nice auction on Yahoo Japan today.

everything for 25 pounds after postage.

Yakumo

Comment

Originally posted by Smegaman
                                Fraid not m8, Huddersfield Cash Generator is LOADS cheaper than Coventry one, I'm afraid it appears to be another "franchise" job.
                                Erm, I've seen them phoning in their sales figures to head office and such, and their prices for 2nd-hand games are dictated by their computer system (I've seen 'em pricing as I waited for the crack-stained goodies), so they seem chain-like and centrally managed to me.... They even had an area manager in there today (he was pestering me). Maybe individual stores are allowed to override prices if they feel like it... it is a "glorified" hock-shop, after all.

Regardless: their game pricing certainly is a little weird... XB Rainbow Six: Black Arrow out for more than ?20 (which exceeds its RRP) and GC Harvest Moon for ?6.99 (!).

Comment

Working...
                                X