Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post everytime you get ANYTHING retro. We want to know (^v^)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my NTSC N64 console through the post today. Was just the console unit, and the seller himself had taken out the tray so I didn't even need to mod it myself. ?15 including delivery. Finally got to play the JP copy of F-Zero X which I bought off Mayhem last week - it's such a different experience to the PAL version! Seriously, the game just plays so much better at the correct speed. The cars are faster (the speedometer in the PAL version is around 200mph lower most of the time), the side attack doesn't bring you to almost a complete halt when you use it, and the boost feels like it actually does something. I wonder if it makes this much difference for other games as well? I'll soon be finding out, anyhow. I have Starfox 64 and Perfect Dark on their way too, so I'll be giving them a go later this week too - strange how I'm more excited to play SF64, which I've played loads of times on Wii VC, just because it's at the "proper" speed.

Comment

Originally posted by danstan21 View Post
      Got my NTSC N64 console through the post today. Was just the console unit, and the seller himself had taken out the tray so I didn't even need to mod it myself. ?15 including delivery. Finally got to play the JP copy of F-Zero X which I bought off Mayhem last week - it's such a different experience to the PAL version! Seriously, the game just plays so much better at the correct speed. The cars are faster (the speedometer in the PAL version is around 200mph lower most of the time), the side attack doesn't bring you to almost a complete halt when you use it, and the boost feels like it actually does something. I wonder if it makes this much difference for other games as well? I'll soon be finding out, anyhow. I have Starfox 64 and Perfect Dark on their way too, so I'll be giving them a go later this week too - strange how I'm more excited to play SF64, which I've played loads of times on Wii VC, just because it's at the "proper" speed.
      Lol - 16 years late to the party....where you the guy not playing in RGB? Thats an even bigger difference in quality, to the difference in speed.

Comment

after reading this i want a us n64 now :-)

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
          Lol - 16 years late to the party....where you the guy not playing in RGB? Thats an even bigger difference in quality, to the difference in speed.
          Heh, yes, I'm aware that I'm very late to this. It's true that I'm not playing in RGB - I know it'll make a noticable quality difference, but I'm not particularly well-endowed in the cash department so I'm not sure I can justify the cost of getting an RGB modded console and cable for 30 or 40 quid extra when I could get an off-brand S-Video cable for ?2 and use any extra money on, y'know, games. To be honest I don't plan on getting an awful lot of N64 games anyway; I can only think of 10-15 over the 3 I've bought that I'm likely to be interested in getting.

Comment

How does the F-Zero X speedo read a lower speed?

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
              How does the F-Zero X speedo read a lower speed?
              Not really sure how to answer that - in the PAL version, the average speed with Red Gazelle was around 660mph on the speedometer, whereas in the few races I did with RG in the NTSC-J version, the average speed was around 850mph. That's all I know.

Comment

Probably a setting in the game, the accel/speed thing as that isn't really possible. While the game is slower, the speedo will still read the same.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                  Probably a setting in the game, the accel/speed thing as that isn't really possible. While the game is slower, the speedo will still read the same.
                  Nope, I had them on borderline equal settings - and machines in the PAL versions struggled to ever reach 850mph without heavy assistance from jumps and on-track boosts. The course timer in the PAL version was altered to be at the correct speed, rather than taking one-and-a-fifth actual seconds to turn over one in-game second so course times are noticably longer in the PAL version. I remember this because the F-Zero X World Records have separate NTSC and PAL leaderboards because for the reason listed above NTSC gamers had a huge advantage. So I would guess it's conceivable that they altered the speedometer as well to "accurately" reflect the time taken to go over the same stretch of track.
                  Last edited by danstan21; 07-11-2012, 19:39.

Comment

Well maybe they changed the speedometer in the PAL version to account for the lower speed of the game.

Comment

In that case I had no idea. Never seen that before. Normally the whole game is just slower.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                        Why are you commenting on how old a machine is or how someone is only just getting a new imported one in a retro forum?

Comment

More Mega Drive love for me this week.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comment

Finally got these. Last purchases for the year.

Comment

Comment

Haha excellent. Used to play the series a fair bit in the mame years.

Comment

Working...
                                X