Originally posted by Superfamifreak
    SFC > MD

Mario > Sonic

Fire Emblem > Langrisser

Zelda > Landstalker

FF > Phantasy Star

Area 88 > Thunder Force

Super Bomberman > Mega Bomberman

What about Metroid, Starfox, Goemon 2, Akumajo Dracula & Mario Kart? Nothing on the MD can compare.

Also, the SFC is the only system that has had me play games like Metroid, Mana & Zelda from start to finish in one sitting

The thing is, I'm betting most of you have never played alot of the SFC gems that were never imported. Nangoku Syonen Papuwa Kun is a million miles better than it's nearest MD equivalent, Ristar. Yes I like the MD, but as my name suggests, the SFC will always be my fave system.

Both had their fair share of crap, but what you have to remember is, most of that crap were games developed in the west.

Just thinking about games released on both systems, look how much closer to the arcade the SFC version of Mortal Kombat was. Crisper graphics & faster gameplay.

Sadly, we will never see another system like it, which upsets me. It truly was gamings golden age, a time of running down the local games shop first thing on a saturday morning to buy that new release, an excitment you just don't get these days.

I love the SFC and in my eyes, it will always be the KING of consoles.

What utter rubbish. For a start name me one better shooter than Thunder Force 4 on the Snes, Name me 1 better scrolling beat them up, than Street Of Rage II on the Snes. Name me one better sport sim on the Sens than John Madden PGA Golf, NHL ect .I really could go on.PGA on the Snes is an uter laugh for all the wrong reasons

Comment

Hey, slow down, guys. The point of this thread is to explain what makes the Megadrive an excellent console, not to launch yet another stupid MD VS SNES flamefest. Those were already boring 10+ years ago.

On a semi-related topic, I really do miss side-scrolling beat 'em ups. In cooperative mode, they're so much more fun to play than those 1v1 fighting games we're being overrun with.

Aside from Viewtiful Joe (which sadly lacks a 2-player coop mode), I never found a game that rocked as much as Streets of Rage 2 (MD) or Turtles in Time (SNES)... Come on, Sega, we don't care about EyeToy minigames, give us a (2D if possible) Bare Knuckle 4 on the Xbox!

Comment

That won't happen, sadly Sega are no longer the force they were in the MD days.

Comment

Originally posted by Duddyroar
          That won't happen, sadly Sega are no longer the force they were in the MD days.
          I never really thought they were a force in the MD days. Diff story inthe Saturn and Dc days. Plus they are giving us Spikeout what more could you want

Comment

I beg to differ. They made some really kickass games in the MD era (Sonic, Streets of Rage, Shinobi, Phantasy Star, Afterburner, OutRun to name but a few). In comparison, there are very few of their games from the DC/current era that I really appreciate. Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi, Rez... And that's about it, I'm afraid.

Comment

SFC scrolling fighters???

Final Fight 1,2,3

Rushing Beat 1,2,3

Captain Commando

Batman Returns

Ninja Warriors

Undercover Cops

BattleToads

Battle Toads Double Dragon

Combat Tribes

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Gourmet Sentai Bara Yarou

These are the only ones I can remember at the moment, can anyone else add to the list???

Apart from FinalFight Batman and Turtles, most of these games are average or sub-par. It's a shame that more quality scrollers weren't released for the machine, because I'm sure something as good as SOR1&2 could have been produced.

SOR 1&2 are such great games in every way, that they probably did make the MD the console of choice for fans of the genre, and with a MegaCD the machine played host to the best version of FinalFight.

This proves that every machine has it's strengths when it comes to software genre's and sadly the SFC was fairly weak on the scrolling fighter front.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda
                What utter rubbish. For a start name me one better shooter than Thunder Force 4 on the Snes, Name me 1 better scrolling beat them up, than Street Of Rage II on the Snes. Name me one better sport sim on the Sens than John Madden PGA Golf, NHL ect .I really could go on.PGA on the Snes is an uter laugh for all the wrong reasons
                Area 88 is much better than Thunder Force 4

I'm not really into scrolling fighters, though the SD Great Battle games I did enjoy.

Namcot Open is a MUCH better golf game than PGA and don't forget Jikkyo World Soccer Winning Eleven & Fighting Eleven.

Call me a fanboy, but in my eyes, the SFC > the MD in every respect. I'm not saying that All SFC games are great, but I certainly enjoyed the system a hell of a lot more than the MD.

Comment

Originally posted by Superfamifreak
                  Area 88 is much better than Thunder Force 4

I'm not really into scrolling fighters, though the SD Great Battle games I did enjoy.

Namcot Open is a MUCH better golf game than PGA and don't forget Jikkyo World Soccer Winning Eleven & Fighting Eleven.

Call me a fanboy, but in my eyes, the SFC > the MD in every respect. I'm not saying that All SFC games are great, but I certainly enjoyed the system a hell of a lot more than the MD.
                  I really don?t want to get into a heavy debate as I my self liked the Snes more than Mega Drive.
                  But no way is Area 88 better than Thunder Force 4, never mind the other classic MD shooters.
                  PGA 3 is the finest golf sim there is on a console. EA hockey is the best hockey game made full stop, and 1 of the best games ever made. Like most of EA MD ports, the Snes versions were totally inferior.
                  One aera the Mega Drive could not compete with the Snes (unless you count the Mega CD) was in the RPG dept.
                  Should also say there was no bike game on the Snes that could touch Super Hang-On
                  Last edited by Team Andromeda; 23-01-2005, 09:40.

Comment

Originally posted by kingston lj
                    SFC scrolling fighters???

Final Fight 1,2,3

Rushing Beat 1,2,3

Captain Commando

Batman Returns

Ninja Warriors

Undercover Cops

BattleToads

Battle Toads Double Dragon

Combat Tribes

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Gourmet Sentai Bara Yarou

These are the only ones I can remember at the moment, can anyone else add to the list???

Apart from FinalFight Batman and Turtles, most of these games are average or sub-par. It's a shame that more quality scrollers weren't released for the machine, because I'm sure something as good as SOR1&2 could have been produced.

SOR 1&2 are such great games in every way, that they probably did make the MD the console of choice for fans of the genre, and with a MegaCD the machine played host to the best version of FinalFight.

This proves that every machine has it's strengths when it comes to software genre's and sadly the SFC was fairly weak on the scrolling fighter front.
                    But all those were totally outclassed by the Streets Of Rage series and Gunstar Heroes . I really did like the Turtles game though , but there is nothing on the Snes (or any other machine) that can touch Streets Of Rage II.

That's has to be the finiest Finest scrolling fighter made so far

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda
                      Should also say there was no bike game on the Snes that could touch Super Hang-On
                      Are you on crack?! Super Hang-On on the MD was a travesty!

Of course, there were no decent bike games on the SNES either...

Comment

Well, there's Uniracers, but I'm not sure that counts as a bike game...

Comment

I was playing SOR2 today, and though it is good, it isn't brilliant, the music really helps boost the experience though.

Final Fight, whilst not a perfect conversion on the SFC, is still my favourite console fighter, and playing it in the early days of the machine was an amazing buzz.

When it comes to scrolling fighters, I think the arcades destroy anything a console has had. Just go through mame; Konami, Capcom, Neo-Geo, these companies made so many brilliant scrolling fighters, and most of them couldn't be done on the SFC or MD.

It's a tough one to judge which machine has the best collection of shooters. Obviously the MD has more, and most of them are good. The SFC has many I like:
                          Axelay, Super Aleste, R-Type series, Gradius3, Macross( amazing game), Parodius games, Twin Bee, Bio Metal, UN Squadron, there are many more to add to the list.

Overall, I think both machines deliver in all genre's. The SFC does have 3D type classics such as F-Zero, PilotWings, Mario Kart, Star Fox etc... It's these games that really put the machine ahead of the MD. If I could have chosen only one console back then, it would without doubt have been the SFC for sheer variety and technical brilliance.

Comment

Starfox doesn't really count. There was a big coprocessor in the cartridge; if you want to include Starfox in the SNES list of "technical achievement" games, you'll also have to look at Virtua Racing for the Megadrive (which kicked a significant amount of ass).

You do however have a point with the Mode 7 racers, but the Megadrive did have some true 3D games that didn't make use of an extra chip in the cartridge. I'm thinking of F-22 Advanced Tactical Fighter and its "sequel" LHX Attack Chopper, there. Brilliant games, they were.

Comment

I got a Japanese Scart Megadrive in 1988 with a Philips Mk1 CM8833 Monitor from Shekana Consoles TCR London on the first day they got their first shipment, I remember lining up outside like now when machines get released here in Japan. It was very special and I loved my MD before 'MD' knew what an MD was probably. But anyway I think that Sega was their worst enemy because the coin-op conversions were pap compared to what we were playing by their very good selves in the arcade; as opposed to software on the PCE and SFC that had no such (unfair?) comparisions. The MD in Japan now and then was nothing and all software of salts is a piece of piss to obtain and cheap as chips compared. Mint machine to every collector of course through some stunning original soft but pales in comparison to the PCE and SFC overall in every genre and way IMO. Anyone that just concentrates on the MD and dismisses everything else to such dedication is missing out big time.

Comment

To be fair, anyone that just concentrates on *a single console, no matter which*, and dismisses everything else to such dedication is missing out big time.
                                Last edited by Wild_Cat; 23-01-2005, 16:52.

Comment

Working...
                                X