Not a massive fan of the MegaDrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Team Andromeda
    But all those were totally outclassed by the Streets Of Rage series and Gunstar Heroes . I really did like the Turtles game though , but there is nothing on the Snes (or any other machine) that can touch Streets Of Rage II.

That's has to be the finiest Finest scrolling fighter made so far
    Actually, The Punisher on the Megadrive was bloody good as well. Unfortunately it's a hell of a lot harder to find than SORII (or SORIII for that matter!!) .. but definitely worth the effort to get a copy. It kicks SORIII's butt, and gives SORII a run for it's money as the best scrolling beat 'em up.

Personally I think Golden Axe 2 is also a strong contender ... and Tenchi Wo Kurau II for the Saturn. That one is simply amazing! Forget Dungeons and Dragons Collection .. TWK II is the same gameplay, but without the incessant and hugely irritating load times. No comment should be passed on side-scrolling beat 'em ups without having played this one.

Tirian

Comment

Ok then looks like the old fashioned snes v md debate so lets summarise. I have both the snes and md and like them both, but the people who say that the md is better seem to be fanboys who can't accept reality.

The snes pissed over the md in every catergory. Sonic 1 and 2 and cd were great but the other sonics sucked and none of them could touch the mario titles. Games such as mario kart, illusion of time, mario world, zelda, sercret of mana, parodius games, super metroid, yoshi's island, f-zero, pop'n twinbee, street fighter games (md versions couldn' compete), and final fight 1+2, i could go on. These titles were far superior to anything the md could offer.

The md was a great console and the mega cd was well underrated but it just wasn't in the same league as the snes. There shouldn't be any argument about which is best both consoles have some great games just enjoy them and don't argue over which is better because the snes wins hands down every time.

Comment

Am i missing something here, but is it not all about the games. I thought this is why these debates are silly E.g Game Cube Vs PS2 etc all have great games, for each MGS there is a Zelda so surley this thread can go no where?

Comment

Originally posted by rule
          Ok then looks like the old fashioned snes v md debate so lets summarise. I have both the snes and md and like them both, but the people who say that the md is better seem to be fanboys who can't accept reality.

The snes pissed over the md in every catergory. Sonic 1 and 2 and cd were great but the other sonics sucked and none of them could touch the mario titles. Games such as mario kart, illusion of time, mario world, zelda, sercret of mana, parodius games, super metroid, yoshi's island, f-zero, pop'n twinbee, street fighter games (md versions couldn' compete), and final fight 1+2, i could go on. These titles were far superior to anything the md could offer.

The md was a great console and the mega cd was well underrated but it just wasn't in the same league as the snes. There shouldn't be any argument about which is best both consoles have some great games just enjoy them and don't argue over which is better because the snes wins hands down every time.
          You see it's people like you that jst don?t get it. Nobody around here is saying Sonic is the reason to get a MD. There is nothing on the Snes that can touch Streets of Rage II, there is no Ninja game on the Snes that can touch Revenge Of Shinobi

Landstalker is every bit as good as Zelda III. When it comes to shooters the MD kicks the Snes into touch.

Comment

IMO Megadrive & Super Famicom offer completely different experiences of gaming for their respective exclusive games.

Comment

Originally posted by hankwangford
              Are you on crack?! Super Hang-On on the MD was a travesty!

Of course, there were no decent bike games on the SNES either...
              You are kidding right ???.? This bike runs like a Firecracker? will in stay in my memory for life .

Still today the best bike game on any system

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda
                You are kidding right ???.? This bike runs like a Firecracker? will in stay in my memory for life .

Word Super Hand-On is superb, the music may be a little off the arcade version, but the tunes are still fantastic. Infact the 3 of Outrun, Space Harrier & S-Hang-On, all immaculate for music, SHO gets overlooked, its prolly my fave.

Comment

You are kidding right ???.” This bike runs like a Firecracker” will in stay in my memory for life .

Picked this up recently (off Superfamifreak, no less) and I'd forgotten how great it was. The last time I played it was in Shenmue!

LOL, it's comments like that that started the whole MD vs SNES debate off all those years ago...utter, utter garbage chum. You're talking out of your backside, I'm afraid. People who assume the SNES is better are the 'fanboys' who can't accept reality. Like all good consoles the MD is home to games other machines simply couldn't handle.

Personally I think Golden Axe 2 is also a strong contender
                  The only trouble with Golden Axe 2 is that it's basically Golden Axe 1 in different clothing - still the music is fantastic. I prefer the first game myself, but both are good. The third on is worth a look if you can forgive it for being a bit rough around the edges.

Originally posted by Japjac
                  It was very special and I loved my MD before 'MD' knew what an MD was probably.
                  Oh no...I wondered when this guy would show up. MD will have a real fight on his hands now in the bragging stakes...

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09
                    Word Super Hand-On is superb, the music may be a little off the arcade version, but the tunes are still fantastic. Infact the 3 of Outrun, Space Harrier & S-Hang-On, all immaculate for music, SHO gets overlooked, its prolly my fave.
                    Except... the arcade version was **** hot.

The MD version was skank.

Comment

The MD version was skank

I don't understand where this viewpoint comes from. I know a lot of people are down on the MD conversion of SHO, but if I recall at the time it got good reviews (I think CVG gave it 90% or something), the actual conversion is pretty close and the 'consumer' mode added an extra playtime (Sega could have been lazy and just done a direct arcade conversion).

For the life of me I can't see why people are so down on the game. For a first generation title it's excellent and it's still fun to play even today. If you want an example of a bad MD racing game check out F1 Hero or Fastest One.

Comment

Originally posted by hankwangford

The MD version was skank.
                        Apart from the music and sprite scaling the MD version was spot on. And the consumer mode was amazing for it's time

Comment

2 games that nobody has mentioned:

Road rash 2
                          Shining Force 2

I don't believe anything the SNES has can compete. I love more games on the MD than the SNES but the MD sure has more crap. I also agreed that nothing has ever come near SoR II, NHLPA Hockey and PGA tour on the MD.

For me these titles still haven't been bettered. The only game I can say this for on the SNES is Mario World which is the pinacle of 2d platforming.

Comment

Hey, i'm not trying to be a fanboy, i'm just saying it like it is. The Snes has a far better selection of rpg's that the md can't rival, cronno trigger, secret of mana, illusion of time pissed on any of the md's rpg's. I'm not going to go into shooters cause i'm more of parodius fan. Sega did some good scrolling fighters, but playing streets of rage 2 a few days ago i've noticed how it hasn't aged too well, it's still a good game but far too easy and ain't as good as final fight cd.

Back in the day there was nothing to really seperate the md and snes, just your personal taste in games. But time has treated the snes better than the md, games such as dynamite headdy, streets of rage 2, and virtua racing have lost some of their sparkle over time, to be honest the only md games i play now are sonic 1+2, mega bomberman, and super street fighter 2. While many of the snes's classics are as fresh now than as they ever were, although this is my personnel opinion the md was always coca cola championship, while the snes was premiership, time has just showed that more clearly now.

By the way i'm not a ninty fanboy the only console that i own of theirs is a snes, actually i'm more of a sega fanboy as i own a md, jap and pal saturns, and a dreamcast. But i'm being honest and the snes has to be the best console ever made if not one of them.
                            Last edited by rule; 24-01-2005, 14:29.

Comment

Originally posted by rule
                              .good scrolling fighters, but playing streets of rage 2 a few days ago i've noticed how it hasn't aged too well, it's still a good game but far too easy.
                              Not played on Maniac level it aint.
                              Both systems had great games, silly to bicker over which one was better imo, just appreciate them both, or is that too far fetched! 0_o

Comment

The Snes has a far better selection of rpg's that the md can't rival, cronno trigger, secret of mana, illusion of time pissed on any of the md's rpg's
                                The SNES has some awesome RPGS, but the MD is often underrated in this respect. Shining Force 1, 2 & CD, Shining and the Darkness, Landstalker, Crusader of Centy, Phantasy Star 1, 2, 3 and 4 (4 is totally, totally awesome), Sword of Vermillion, Story of Thor, Langrisser 1 & 2, Bahamut Senki, Surging Aura, Y's and Blue Almanac are all decent RPGs. There's nothing on the MD that can stand up against Zelda but that's not to say you'd be missing out on the genre if you only owned a MD.

This could go on all year. At the end of the day you're going to go with the console you have the best memories of. My formative years were spent with the MD (mainly). For the best part of a two years I only owned a MD so that machine had a chance to make a real impact, whereas I owned my SNES later and it was obviously fighting for playtime with my MD.

Comment

Working...
                                X