Neo Geo CD Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indeed you are correct. Sorry if my post suggested they did

Incidentally, I'd be curious to know if anyone has managed to get Iron Clad running on an emulator since I don't believe it does, which for me only adds to its appeal...

Comment

oh, and finally, you might want to seek out Samurai Shodown RPG, because the English translation patch should be out later this year. Much anticipated, if that isn't a reason to own a Neo Geo CD I don't know what is...

Comment

Wiki talks about the exlusives on CD:

Exclusive games

While the Neo Geo CD library consisted primarily of ports of MVS and AES titles, there were a few MVS arcade games which were not officially released for the Neo Geo AES and ported instead to the Neo Geo CD. This includes Puzzle Bobble, Janshin Densetsu (a Mahjong game also released for the PC Engine), Power Spike II, Neo Driftout and Futsal - 5-on-5 Mini Soccer.

A few games which were unreleased in MVS and AES formats were also released exclusively for the Neo Geo CD. These includes Iron Clad, Crossed Swords 2, Oshidashi Zentrix, ADK World, The King of Fighters '96 Neo Collection and Shinsetsu Samurai Spirits: Bushido Retsuden (an RPG spinoff of the Samurai Shodown series that also released for the PlayStation and Sega Saturn). Idol Mahjong Final Romance II, an arcade game which was not an MVS game, was also ported to the Neo Geo CD.Exclusive games

While the Neo Geo CD library consisted primarily of ports of MVS and AES titles, there were a few MVS arcade games which were not officially released for the Neo Geo AES and ported instead to the Neo Geo CD. This includes Puzzle Bobble, Janshin Densetsu (a Mahjong game also released for the PC Engine), Power Spike II, Neo Driftout and Futsal - 5-on-5 Mini Soccer.

A few games which were unreleased in MVS and AES formats were also released exclusively for the Neo Geo CD. These includes Iron Clad, Crossed Swords 2, Oshidashi Zentrix, ADK World, The King of Fighters '96 Neo Collection and Shinsetsu Samurai Spirits: Bushido Retsuden (an RPG spinoff of the Samurai Shodown series that also released for the PlayStation and Sega Saturn). Idol Mahjong Final Romance II, an arcade game which was not an MVS game, was also ported to the Neo Geo CD.

---------------------------------------------

I wonder how bad the load times are? Can you swap the CD for a faster version?

Comment

the original Neo Geo CD features a 1 speed drive. This, combined with titles which rely on a large amount of data mean that several titles suffer some of the worst load times in gaming (not dissimilar to some disk based games on the Amiga). For example, Last Blade 2 works like this - LOAD character selection, pick character. LOAD into screens. Show intro screens. LOAD level. It is pretty painful, especially if you are use to playing Neo Geo on a cart.

The CDZ features a 2 x speed drive, cutting load times in half but still pretty slow compared to the much faster drives you get on modern PCs. The CDZ, incidentally, also features copy protection, which the original one did not.

Sadly, the CD is not a standard IDE unit, so you could not replace it without an unprecedented amount of rebuilding and probably having to reprogram the ROM. Not something that is even worth considering sadly. I don't know if any has attempted to put a CDZ drive into an original machine, though I doubt it would be worth trying.

NGCD emulators are different however - they are able to take advantage of high speed loading, so if you run a CD on an emulator, it will load very quickly. Although I own an original machine, I have been known to play some of my collection on the PC because the load times are just too painful. But mostly I play Neo Geo on my six slot arcade cab...

Comment

Originally posted by highrise View Post
            The CDZ features a 2 x speed drive, cutting load times in half but still pretty slow compared to the much faster drives you get on modern PCs. The CDZ, incidentally, also features copy protection, which the original one did not.
            incorrect pal

it had a larger cache memory so it could load more information in 1 go

still a single speed drive

Comment

Indeed you are correct. Sorry if my post suggested they did

Incidentally, I'd be curious to know if anyone has managed to get Iron Clad running on an emulator since I don't believe it does, which for me only adds to its appeal...
              yeah,

i have ironclad running on my psp.

Comment

I've just started buying some Neo-Geo CD games but I can't comment on load times because I play them on a modded Xbox.

Bought Real Bout Fatal Fury, Last Resort and The Last Blade. Windjammers next I think.

Comment

oh, and finally, you might want to seek out Samurai Shodown RPG, because the English translation patch should be out later this year. Much anticipated, if that isn't a reason to own a Neo Geo CD I don't know what is...
                  Wow! Interesting info that. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch996 View Post
                    I've just started buying some Neo-Geo CD games but I can't comment on load times because I play them on a modded Xbox.

Bought Real Bout Fatal Fury, Last Resort and The Last Blade. Windjammers next I think.
                    you should have let me know pal, i did have a bunch of Neo cd games i was selling on the cheap, would have let you have them for next to nothing

and buy Windjammers - its tops

Comment

the original Neo Geo CD features a 1 speed drive. This, combined with titles which rely on a large amount of data mean that several titles suffer some of the worst load times in gaming (not dissimilar to some disk based games on the Amiga). For example, Last Blade 2 works like this - LOAD character selection, pick character. LOAD into screens. Show intro screens. LOAD level. It is pretty painful, especially if you are use to playing Neo Geo on a cart.
                      Doesn't sound as bad as the Speccy conversion of Street Fighter II though.

Comment

Iron Clad is pretty boring really, nice graphics and awesome looking end boss stage tho.

Comment

Windjammers and Twinkle Star Sprites would both be great online multiplayer on XBLA don't you think?

Comment

Working...
                          X