Megadrive/Genesis Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duddyroar
    SOR is probably one of the most colourful series on the MD!
    Part II was that's for sure.

Comment

RGB on my MD was always rock-solid...even more so when played through a monitor.

In fact, it's the best picture I've ever seen from a console.
      Yeah, Again another MD myth.
      RGB on The MD was better than anything the Snes could offer
      The picture was so sharp it made the Mega CD FMV stuff almost unplayable as it really showed up the grain in the FMV video

Comment

I remember seeing Bare Knuckle/SOR running on a Phillips monitor at my local importers and it just looked amazing, the kind of sharpness you would get from a PC monitor, and I'm not going over the top here, either!

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda
          Yeah, Again another MD myth.
          The picture was so sharp it made the Mega CD FMV stuff almost unplayable as it really showed up the grain in the FMV video
          Try playing MCD games under emulation on a super sharp PC flat panel! It becomes art, mosaics in motion!

Comment

I remember seeing Bare Knuckle/SOR running on a Phillips monitor at my local importers and it just looked amazing, the kind of sharpness you would get from a PC monitor, and I'm not going over the top here, either!
            Haha

I still play part II on my old Philips CM Personal.
            And the sharpness you get it miles better than anything I get from the Snes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko
              Try playing MCD games under emulation on a super sharp PC flat panel! It becomes art, mosaics in motion!
              No thanks

Comment

How much are those monitors?

Back in the day, I had an old Commadore monitor but it didn't have SCART, dunno if you could get some kind of interface but I had to use composite.

Comment

Ahh, I love seeing stuff like that in motion; a great big flat-panel or something similar, running some old retro system where each pixel occupies something crazy to a 10x10 block on the screen, all running in super-high res component video. Kind of like seeing pixel-art or retro screenshots in a glossy mag.

I cry big manly tears of joy seeing that kind of thing.

Comment

I use KEGA on the PC and I have grown to love the pixelated look. I can really apreciate the work that went into the sprites with none of it lost in a TV blur.

KEGA also has a variety of blurring and scanline modes, including a 'TV' mode that offsets the colours. With them all turned on the end result is amazingly like a TV set.

Comment

How much are those monitors?

Back in the day, I had an old Commadore monitor but it didn't have SCART, dunno if you could get some kind of interface but I had to use composite.
                      Don't know mate. Mine is years old and was given to me.
                      But my Philips CM Personal as a scart socket.
                      And the picture the MD gives out on that is the tops (better than anyother system), also great stereo sound to boot as well

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda
                        I disagree actually. The SNES is also fantastic using RGB, and I think often looked better because of the general use of brighter colours and the fact that it could display 4 times as many colours. Perhaps it's the fact that the SNES could graduate colours into each other because it could put out more colours that makes it look like the pixels are less defined than the Megadrives?
                        Either way, Yoshi's Island is all sorts of gorgeous in RGB, and Super Mario World's big fat blocks of flat colours are so pretty, although Super Fantasy Zone's use of colour definitely matches SMW.

They're both as good as each other really though, they're 16-bit, pixels are the best, and the wibbly wobbly world of PlayStation can sod off and die.
                        Last edited by vertigo; 29-09-2005, 13:39.

Comment

I do wonder though, why so many devs decided to try to make the MD do rock/metal music. Super Fantasy Zone demonstrates that the MD can do really good, clear happy music using the same instruments as those heard in Outrun, but so much Megadrive music is repetitive noodling guitar solos that sound really bad because of the low instrument quality they chose to use. See Global Gladiators or most average third-party games for details. The SNES seemed to make it a lot easier to layer sounds and actually make a composition, rather than the majority of Megadrive music which tends to sound like there aren't enough instruments going on.

Comment

Originally posted by vertigo
                            , but so much Megadrive music is repetitive noodling guitar solos that sound really bad because of the low instrument quality they chose to use. See Global Gladiators or most average third-party games for details. .
                            Point taken, sure..but if you just play average crap you can't expect a masterpiece can you. Kinda like saying the md has crap graphics when you play games with **** graphics

As has been stated, when handled properly the md outputs some phenomenal sounds, pretty much unrivalled of that era (revenge, gunstar, SoR2 and a personal fav Langrisser/Warsong)

Comment

Oh sure, I agree, but there seems to be vast amounts of really bad attempts at rock guitar on the MD and it makes me wonder why devs didn't just learn that it was really hard to do and to try something else.
                              The intro to Desert Strike is ace though and puts me right in the mood to go a-killin'

Comment

There's plenty of **** music on the SNES too, let's not forget.

And to this day nothing on the SNES comes close to the Streets of Rage soundtrack. It's total quality and just shows what can be done with the MD chip.

Wheelaa - The music is Langrisser is just beautiful. Easily my number one videogame soundtrack.

Comment

Working...
                                X