Megadrive/Genesis Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yakumo
    Rob Hubard may have made good "tunes" but the instruments used are crap. Sounds like 99% of stuff by western developers. They just can't use the MD sound chip. Now Virgin made good use of it in Aladdin I also don't agree about Toejam & Earl since that is very basic drum beats and samples. That's not actually using any talent regarding sound programming like Technosoft does.

Yakumo
    I'm sorry mate,
    But I though the music in Battle Squadron was better than that in TF 4, and that was one of the 1st 3rd party games onthe MD.

While Technosoft were doing wonders to get anything that resembled a electric guitar of out that music chip (I'll give them that).
    The music while good, wasn?t that great . And nothing to that found in Elemental Master (The last Tune in that is somthing esle ).
    John Madden impressed the hell out of me, the title music was some of the best ever, and the quality of the sound sample were amazing (better than the Amgia or Snes versions) you could really feel the impact , the words ?Its GOOD? will live with me forever

As for TJ&E I loved the tunes and to get those amounts of samples playing at the same time took some doing . In fact I read somewhere that Sega America were so impressed. They became the official Sound tools for the Mega Drive.
    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 01-10-2005, 16:57.

Comment

A lot of American MD games have a very tinny sound with basic instruments that lack any impact. The amount of U.S games with jazzy tunes is ridiculous, they all sound like Elevator music gone wrong

I have found that most American games have weak sound, no matter what the machine. Of course there are good examples, but in general most of it isn't melodic or soulful, but rather drab and unimaginative.

The Japanese are known for their catchy infectious style of music. The British have a reputation for eccentric deep tunes, and Europeans( Germans Especially ) are well regarded for pushing sound-chips and creating really energetic stuff!

I would say 70% of game music is bland. Time and time again people list their favourite tunes, and the same games crop-up on peoples lists. At the end of the day good music can be made on nearly all machines, even the Spectrum!

Comment

Originally posted by kingston lj
        I have found that most American games have weak sound, no matter what the machine. Of course there are good examples, but in general most of it isn't melodic or soulful, but rather drab and unimaginative.
        Not MD I know but this reminds me of when Secret of Evermore was about to come out (SNES) and everyone was hyped up, Square's new game, Square USA's Mana beater, blahblah, and then yeh it was quite drab and the music was pretty plain. The difference between Square Japan and Square USA's work was pretty stark.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda
          I'm sorry mate,
          But I though the music in Battle Squadron was better than that in TF 4, and that was one of the 1st 3rd party games onthe MD.
          I guess it's all a matter of personal preference.

Yakumo

Comment

Was playing Sonic 3 for a bit last night and while I still hate the super Sonic power up, Sega really did carry the evolution and ethos of Sonic through the three games. Also, the music is quite good, but the levels are sooooo long and there are far too many ways to get extra stuff, a bit like how it's so easy to get about a million lives in Super Mario World.
            Also managed to get to a point where I had 4 of the bonus levels beaten in Dragon's Fury (Devil Crush), but that's as far as I've got right now. That left drain is lethal.

Comment

Dragons fury a class pinball game do not think any pinball game has matched that since.(its sequel was not very good at all)

Think my dad might have completed that

Comment

Wasn't Dragon's Fury just Devil Crash MD with a different name?

And personally, I love the music to Altered Beast. The first level theme is a classic.

Comment

Originally posted by Duddyroar
                  Wasn't Dragon's Fury just Devil Crash MD with a different name?
                  Yep.Was the pc engine version the same or was there changes for the megadrive version

Comment

I think they were pretty much the same, but most people rate the Engine version over the MD version.

There was also Jaki Crush for the SNES...which wasn't as good as either Alien or Devil Crush.

Comment

Is there seriously only one table for Dragon's Fury?

Comment

Sort of you get sent to different tables for the boss battles if i remember correctly

Comment

They're part of the same table though, they're the 6 bonus stages you have to beat in order to... something which I haven't got to yet.
                          Shame that there aren't a selection of tables though, but at least the one table there is is really well thought out and offers plenty of variety and ability to build up skill without the machine cheating too much. Apart from that bastard left drain

Comment

Best pinball game ever...lack of tables doesn't come into it!

Comment

Yeh, I know, it is excellent despite that. I do wonder how I'd feel about it if I'd paid 40 quid for it though.
                              Would it be embarrassing to admit that I like Pinball Fantasies? Especially the Party Land and Skulls n Bones tables
                              I remember getting really far in Megalomania for the MD, but can't get anywhere now coz I can't seem to get my guys to actually do anything. Can place an army and develop tools and all that, but sod all happens so I think it's a lost cause now.

Comment

I love pinball games but my problem is many creators of videogame pinballs seem to limit them selves.It feels like there basing them on real tables and do not allow there imagination to run riot

Dragons fury flipnic and perhaps a few others do try to do something but i all ways belive they could come up with something really really good if they want to

Oh yeh psycho pinball was pretty cool to

Comment

Working...
                                X