Megadrive/Genesis Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Geoff D
    Fave 16 bit sports games for me equal one from each machine - the sublime EA Ice Hockey on the MD (juddery, juddery Snes version :/ ) & ISS on the Snes.

Nowt else touches those 2 as far as I'm concerned.
    Sorry as good as ISS was on the Snes (The MD version wasn't bad too) .
    Sensible Soccer is the best football game ever made , and made even ISS look like nothing. Also SEGA J-League TV Football Mega Drive game was miles better than ISS too
    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 27-09-2005, 10:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Mu5
      Well there isn't, is there . In fact I can't think of any scrolling Beat Them up that is better, on any machine/console

Comment

Originally posted by babs
        Madden '92 good sir, fabulous game AND ambulances which ran over players.
        Gridiron does nowt for me, so I never really dug the Madden games.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda
        Sensible Soccer is the best football game ever made
        Not in my house.

As for scrolling fighters, Final Fight (arcade version mind) remains king.

Comment

Well there isn't, is there . In fact I can't think of any scrolling Beat Them up that is better, on any machine/console
          What about guardian heroes?

Streets of rage 2 i was amazed when i first saw it it was such a huge leap from the original.And the combat was so satisfying and the music was so good.SOR3 good but i just did not like it as much as sor2

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy
            Nah while that's great it doesn't play or flow as well as Streets Of Rage II.

Comment

Sensible Soccer is the best football game ever made , and made even ISS look like nothing.
              eh, if we're being finicky, I'd have to plump for the later Amiga iterations - Sensible World of Soccer > Sensible Soccer

Comment

Glad to see a bit of Shadow Dancer lovin'.

And yes, the MD Arcade sticks were pretty good. Although for some reason the UK one had a larger ball and used leaf switches, whereas the Japanese one had a smaller ball and was microswitched (IIRC the Start button was also a different colour - blue, maybe?). Sadly I mislaid my Japanese stick years ago. I don't suppose anyone knows where I might find another one?

Comment

Sensibles games always remember the cracking opening tunes

"your a goal scoring super star hero"
                  "war has never been so much fun"

Comment

Sensible Soccer is the best football game ever made , and made even ISS look like nothing
                    The problem with ISS is the fact that there were a only a handful of scoring options open to the player. You hardly ever scored a 30-yard screamer, the keepers were too good for that. But dribble up to the goal, turn at a right angle and run along the six yard box, wait until the keeper makes his ill-judged dive - tuck it away. Worked every time. And that ruined the game for me. Don't get me wrong, if you want to impress someone then ISS is the game to go for - brilliant graphics, stunning sound and excellent overall presentation - plus it gave birth to the now-commonplace 'dash' button - but Sensi is so much better in terms of playability.

As for scrolling fighters, Final Fight (arcade version mind) remains king
                    Gotta agree with TA here, SOR2 is the best scrolling fighter on any machine. There are far more moves available to the player in SOR2 when compared to Final Fight. FF gets boring really quick, but SOR2 has so much variety in both moves and stages. Hell, I'd even rate the original SOR as better than FF.

I don't consider GA to be in the same genre as FF and SOR. For starters, you're on a fixed plane in GA, and it's less focused than those games - the lack of grapples and throws (in the FF/SOR sense) gives it a very different feel. Great game though!

Comment

Although for some reason the UK one had a larger ball and used leaf switches, whereas the Japanese one had a smaller ball and was microswitched (IIRC the Start button was also a different colour - blue, maybe?). Sadly I mislaid my Japanese stick years ago. I don't suppose anyone knows where I might find another one?
                      I've got a Japanese one (yes the start button is indeed blue) and it's the only one I've ever used - shocked to hear that the UK version isn't microswitched! I'm not selling, though...

Comment

It's true. US/UK ones have no microswitches, I've got a UK one here. After starting off with a JP one, it's disgusting to go back to leaf switches. In fact, I recommend that you try out a UK stick - it'll be an awful experience, but it'll make you appreciate your JP stick a whole lot more afterwards!

Please sell me yours.

Comment

Originally posted by anagrama
                          eh, if we're being finicky, I'd have to plump for the later Amiga iterations - Sensible World of Soccer > Sensible Soccer
                          Oh yeah Senisble World Of Soccer is just the best , nothing will ever beat it . But if were taking console sports based games here Then the MD versions of Senisble is king, thanks to the ace controls.

Comment

The problem with ISS is the fact that there were a only a handful of scoring options open to the player. You hardly ever scored a 30-yard screamer, the keepers were too good for that. But dribble up to the goal, turn at a right angle and run along the six yard box, wait until the keeper makes his ill-judged dive - tuck it away. Worked every time. And that ruined the game for me. Don't get me wrong, if you want to impress someone then ISS is the game to go for - brilliant graphics, stunning sound and excellent overall presentation - plus it gave birth to the now-commonplace 'dash' button - but Sensi is so much better in terms of playability.

Not to tallk about how SEGA own J League Football games on the Mega Drive was miles better than ISS too, but sensi is just sheer perfection

Comment

Very true. Pro Striker Final Stage is a great footie game. Did you know that they had to recall the first J-League Pro Striker game though as it was so bugridden?

Comment

Please sell me yours.
                                I couldn't mate, it's like a family heirloom, it's so old!

Comment

Working...
                                X