Teh Gaming Legends. Salute Them.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teh Gaming Legends. Salute Them.

These Retro Gaming posts keep throwing up great names from yesteryear that send my mind on a little trip down memory lane thinking about all the great games they did - It's time for a thread in which we can salute these greats and the works they provided.

These days it's all Hideo says this, Suzuki says that, Mizuguchi's doing this - But what are they really doing ? Are they busting an artery in front of a computer 24/7 pumping out some cool gamecode in a dimly lit room - Can they even program or do they just project manage ?

These guys could - They did it all (sometimes with a little help from friends)

The roll call begins :

Raffaelle Cecco - I loved just about everything the man did - Equinox, Cybernoid 1&2 - He had a really good grasp of the Speccy and pushed it delivering what I'd call arcade style thrills in the home.

Andrew Braybook - Uridium, Quazatron, Paradroid, Fire & Ice - Again, an impeccable portfolio.

Geoff Crammond - The Sentinel, Stunt Car Racer, The best GP games ever made (hot-seat multiplayer in GP2 was one of my fav things ever back in the day)

David Jones - Blood Money, Lemmings, GTA - He's a Scottish Treasure . Nintendo used to make frequent trips to Dundee to meet with him and his staff back in the days of the SNES/N64 - To me that speaks volumes.

Keith ???? (possibly Harrington or something?) - Forget the surname - he converted some of my favourite sega arcade machines to the home - Space Harrier, Outrun, Probably Afterburner - He seemed to have a knack or a mate I dunno

Dave Perry - I'm wondering if this might prove controversial but back then, man he was a hungry young guy pumping out the titles - I adored the Wally Games (Everyone's A Wally/Pyjamarama/Automania) and he went on to do Alladin & Cool Spot on MD - both very impressive both in terms of design & quality (Aladin was particularly impressive)

Pete Cooke - Oh man, Everything he did made me smile - Here's his softography I think it speaks for itself :

Invincible Island - 1983
    Urban Upstart - 1984
    Inferno - 1984
    Ski Star 2000 - 1985
    Juggernaut - 1985
    Tau Ceti - 1985
    Room 10 - 1986
    Academy - 1987
    Micronaut One - 1987
    Brainstorm - 1988
    Earthlight - 1988
    Zolyx - 1988
    Paul Woakes - Mercenary. On The Spectrum.
    I was gonna stop now but I want to add :

Keith Dalglish - Musical Maestro on the spectrum (noticing a platform bias here yet ?)

David Whittaker - As above - He was the ZX Speccy's Rob Hubbard (although Rob did a few speccy tunes his best stuff was always on C64).

I'll come back later and add some images from their titles. Just to make the thread nice & stuff.
    Last edited by Yoshimax; 06-10-2005, 12:17.

If we're talking musicians - Tim Follin!

Comment

Eugene Jarvis

Comment

Originally posted by Wil
        If we're talking musicians - Tim Follin!
        I was trying to remember his name - He was one of 2 brothers and the other one did the coding yes ? HE did the music for lots of MAD/Mastertronic 128k stuff like AgentX ? Man, he did some clever stuff with that chip.

Comment

yuzo koshiro i think was one of the first names i knew with games

oh and david braben and ian bell

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshimax-UK
            Dave Perry - I'm wondering if this might prove controversial but back then, man he was a hungry young guy pumping out the titles - I adored the Wally Games (Everyone's A Wally/Pyjamarama/Automania) and he went on to do Alladin & Cool Spot on MD - both very impressive both in terms of design & quality (Aladin was particularly impressive)
            I shuddered when I first read that name, but then on further reading I realised you meant the Dave Perry who made great games, not the bandana wearing twat who used to frequent Games Master! (Best gamer evah!! or whatever who used to call himself!)

My contribution (so as not to be totally OT) how about the Oliver Twins who brought us classic Codemasters stuff like Dizzy, Treasure Island Dizzy etc

Comment

Jeremy Smith - RIP - he gave me two of my favourite games. Thrust and (in conjunction with Peter Scott) Exile. He was doing stuff with physics on the 8-bit micros long before the likes of the Havok engine had even been dreamt of. An unsung legend I'd say.
              Last edited by Ish; 06-10-2005, 14:47.

Comment

Best western musician from Retro times has got to be Chris Hulsbec from Rainbow Arts / Factor 5.

Yakumo

Comment

Tim Follin is a fantastic musician. He has always created what I call " Real British style tunes "

The Guy is responsible for the snes classic Plok music, which is sooo amazing, it brings a tear to my eye. He also did the snes Equinox tunes, which are equally as magical. Away from the snes games, he created many a great tune for systems before my time, such as the C64.

Here is a website dedicated to him: http://www.mono211.com/follindrome/

Pure Genius!

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy
                    yuzo koshiro i think was one of the first names i knew with games

oh and david braben and ian bell
                    Yuzo is a God!

Seriously.. this guy has created some amazing pieces of work. Actraiser will always stick-out as my favourite, but the SOR stuff is total brilliance too!

I always find it sad that most industry legends are relatively unknown. At least us HARDCORE GAMERS recognise and celebrate these amazing people though!

Comment

Well it must be said With yuzo i like the music in revenge of shinobi and streets of rage so i activally tried to find who did it

And is it me or does the baseball stage in streets of rage 2 sound like the shamens move any mountain?

Comment

What games has he been involved with?
                        Last edited by eastyy; 07-10-2005, 08:14.

Comment

Jeff Minter - gaming guru whos into a good smoke as well methinks

Andrew Braybrook - for paradroid 90

Matthew Smith - For manic miner and jet set willy. A god in his time

The Bitmap Brothers - For some of the finest 16-bit gaming moments

Geoff Crammond- F1GP on the PC - what more can i say
                          Last edited by Mu5; 07-10-2005, 08:57.

Comment

If you want to hear what Yuzo Koshiro is doing these days 10 on after the 16 bit stuff then check out the OST to Namco's arcade game Wangan maximum Tune 1&2. Really good dance/techno beats ! I listen to it in the car now but find it pretty dangerous because I seem to speed up

Yakumo

Comment

I have to agree with Yakumo on Chris Hulsbec/Hulsbeck (sp?) - particularly like the soundtrack he did for Super Turrican on the SNES.

Comment

Working...
                              X