Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coropata is now pretty hard to find but at this price he is taking the piss the are not even new sealed copies LOL

Comment

Absolutely nothing to do with retro gaming whatsoever, but if Carlsberg did dodgy photoshop mock-ups, this certainly wouldn't be one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by moonwhistle View Post
        http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Super-Nintendo...item25628ce94f

His other auctions are bull**** fakes too.
        And yet I still want one, because I'll otherwise never play it.

Comment

That's bizarre. Why would I want a fake PAL box? I don't want any PAL boxes, real or otherwise!

Comment

Typical bitching gamers.

They are lovely. Well crafted and designed and something totally unusual to own. I would love to see perfect replicas of games I already own.

Comment

I don't understand the hatred that cart repro people receive. To have the box and manual professionally reprinted in English is nice for collectors. Granted I'd prefer the NTSC box and purple cartridge for the 60Hz goodness, I think these guys are providing a valuable service for collectors.

And I'm not just talking about your post, but the sheer hatred these people receive across various forums for making and selling repro carts.

I haven't the will nor the inclination to patch a rom into English, then flash, burn and solder EEPROMs onto the circuit boards of other carts, just to enjoy a game on original hardware. So to just hand a guy a wad of money and say: do it for me, I'm too lazy, is a godsend.

Honestly, the fan communities in video games really do confuse me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                I don't understand the hatred that cart repro people receive. To have the box and manual professionally reprinted in English is nice for collectors. Granted I'd prefer the NTSC box and purple cartridge for the 60Hz goodness, I think these guys are providing a valuable service for collectors.

And I'm not just talking about your post, but the sheer hatred these people receive across various forums for making and selling repro carts.

I haven't the will nor the inclination to patch a rom into English, then flash, burn and solder EEPROMs onto the circuit boards of other carts, just to enjoy a game on original hardware. So to just hand a guy a wad of money and say: do it for me, I'm too lazy, is a godsend.

Honestly, the fan communities in video games really do confuse me.
                This.

Comment

Aww hell's yeah. Me an Nakamura posted the exact same thing at exactly the same time! 9.28!

o/

Comment

I don't have a downer on repro boxes at all, just an aversion to SNES PAL boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Wil View Post
                      I don't have a downer on repro boxes at all, just an aversion to SNES PAL boxes.
                      What is wrong with PAL boxes? Some are really nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Wil View Post
                        Exactly, you'll be wanting the US NTSC repro box for Terranigma then!

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                          Exactly, you'll be wanting the US NTSC repro box for Terranigma then!
                          Nah, I'll just be a pompous git and put a patched cart in the Jp box.

Oh boy, I don't want to get into an argument over box design. I've never liked Western SNES and N64 boxes as they always cluttered everything up with needless bars and text. I know it just sounds like I'm being all superior and poncey ("oh no, I'd always go for the Japanese release, even though I can't understand it") but I think from a pure graphic design perspective the Japanese nearly always have us beat.

I can appreciate a repro box for an existing design that's hard to get hold of but the PAL box design squishes the artwork into a small space and that's not for me (especially with such gloriousness as Noboteru Yuki's art for SD2) so I wouldn't have used it as a template for creating a box for a version of a game that doesn't really exist.

Just my opinion, that's all. I don't expect anyone else to share it.
                          Last edited by Wil; 08-05-2011, 11:08.

Comment

Well the JPN boxes I've owned have always used the entire front space for artwork and the title, which in my view would sell a game better, surely? So I can totally understand the argument.

Comment

I can see your point Wil, western boxes at times do feel rather regimented. JP boxes are far nicer and pretty much always have been. Some western boxes, mainly pal ones are nice though. Zelda has a nice box with a lovely gold finish. Yes it is no work of art but it carries a certain something that the black US version does not. The Rare stuff was also nicely done as were most of Nintendos. They may have squashed art but at least PAL boxes have varying colours.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                                something that the black US version does not.... but at least PAL boxes have varying colours.
                                Sorry for butchering your comment in my quote but the above is why I really dislike US boxes! I have about 25 boxed PAL SNES games and only 3 or so US games - the PAL ones are all nice and colourful whilst the US ones are all virtually the same (from the side at least, when on a shelf). Whilst I can appreciate the JP boxes, not being able to read the text means I have never felt compelled to own one, I like the crazy game blurbs on the back (Axelay one springs to mind - boasting that it's mind-blowing 3D graphics will mean you die constantly).

Comment

Working...
                                X