Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Games that that have aged (and those that haven't)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DavidFallows
    Eventhough people thought that it was dated when it was a new release I've always had a soft spot for Pilot Wings 64.

Especially when you take into account some of the best stoner moments gaming has to offer.....

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console...64/Birdman.mid

Any stoner moment is timeless.
    I fired this up over christmas - love the music and the atmosphere bro, gaming heaven

Comment

This was always going to be a very subjective topic.

I mean, I agree that Golden Axe has aged pretty badly compared to, say, Streets of Rage (which IMO is as awesome today as it was in the day)... but some would kill me for badmouthing Golden Axe.

Likewise, I could write a huge essay length post disagreeing with that guy who reckons the original Resi has aged badly, and why I feel it's still probably the most atmospheric, errie Resi.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33
        This was always going to be a very subjective topic.

I mean, I agree that Golden Axe has aged pretty badly compared to, say, Streets of Rage (which IMO is as awesome today as it was in the day)... but some would kill me for badmouthing Golden Axe.

Likewise, I could write a huge essay length post disagreeing with that guy who reckons the original Resi has aged badly, and why I feel it's still probably the most atmospheric, errie Resi.
        Subjective definitely is the word. I think Streets Of Rage is really lacking in gameplay these days. It just seems too slow, and lacking in thrills. Like most old games it was a title that relied on it's once impressive visuals to seduce the gamer, but beneath the surface it wasn't really that fun.

Golden Axe Arcade though, plays nearly as well as it ever did. The pace of the game flows well. The visuals look sharp, and have enough variety and detail to keep you playing. It's all about all the pieces working together to make an enjoyable whole; that's how any classic game survives.

Resident Evil for most people was a graphical masterpiece back in 96. The screenshots were enough to get people salivating. There is no doubt the game has good design, but now that the visuals look blocky and archaic, it's a far from the thrilling experience it once was.

I tend to find that any games that relied on cutting-edge graphics as their biggest selling point, are now seen as poor titles. The majority of these happen to be 3D titles, and because 3D titles are usually judged on graphics first and foremost, it's ultimately the reason they die so fast.

I personally can't stand most PS/Saturn 3D titles because the majority move and look so poor. I guess there must be some people that find old 3D charming or bearable. For me though the poor movement, control and blocky visuals are usually too off-putting.

Comment

Originally posted by kingston lj
          I think Streets Of Rage is really lacking in gameplay these days. It just seems too slow, and lacking in thrills. Like most old games it was a title that relied on it's once impressive visuals to seduce the gamer, but beneath the surface it wasn't really that fun.

The first one, sure. It was a poor man's DD back in the day anyway (imo). 2 however is a different matter. Thrills galore, impressive visuals and sounds, and sublime playability.

Comment

Like I said earlier in the thread, scrolling fighters are far more fun with 2 players.

Oh and flat-shaded polys >>>> 32-bit Wonky-D any day.

Comment

Originally posted by kingston lj
              I think Streets Of Rage is really lacking in gameplay these days. It just seems too slow, and lacking in thrills. Like most old games it was a title that relied on it's once impressive visuals to seduce the gamer, but beneath the surface it wasn't really that fun.
              See there's the thing. Even today I can play SoR all day and love it to bits.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33
                See there's the thing. Even today I can play SoR all day and love it to bits.
                SOR1 has fantastic music, and very nicely styled graphics. It just feels too labourious these days though. I understand why it has so many fans that still play it, because even though it's not in my Top20 games, it's still a very ambient classic title.

Comment

Huh? Wipeout is brilliant still to this day. In fact over the past week or 2 its been played every day by either me or one of my flatmates. We all love it. The first time I saw it running again a couple of weeks ago I couldn't believe that a PSone game actually looked this good, and the music is awesome through a decent sound system.

Comment

Wipeout 3 SE kicks the backside of all modern fururistic racers (Wipeout pure included)

Comment

I say Ridge Racer. it's still great fun playing RRR and especially Type 4!

Comment

Working...
                      X