No announcement yet.

Your thoughts please: Space Harrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought Space Harrier was cool, but I could never play it as long as Outrun and Afterburner II.

I was always wondering how Planet Harriers was, the true sequel on Hikaru.

Comment

The problem with Space Harrier II is the Mega Drive can't scale sprites, so you just end up with that thing of having the sprite in 3 or 4 sizes and switching - clunky! The hardware was totally unsuited to that type of game. They did manage to pull it off scrolling 3D pretty convincingly towards the end of the MD's lifespan with Panorama Cotton. Pity it played like ****.

The music and the enemy designs in SH2 are class. But the speed and smoothness of the original game is notably lacking.
      Last edited by Molloy; 13-04-2006, 20:56.

Comment

I think its a pretty damn excellent personally. The way your allways moving and it never slows down is great. I'm absolute **** at dodgeing the obsticales though, becuase of it I can only get up to level 3

What were the controls for it on the oringal arcade verision? Ive gotta say I allways find that the controlls seem to gel quite well with the megadrive.

EDIT: Just found this on ebay
        Last edited by Samurai Matt; 13-04-2006, 23:08.

Comment

That ebay link int working :/

It's a crying shame about Space Fantasy Zone, id like to land the iso but im a lazy ****. Looks n sounds awsomes.

Comment

did anyone ever play Planet Harriers, the Sega Hikaru Based quasi-sequal to space harrier? if so was it any good?

Comment

Originally posted by Rebelli0n
              did anyone ever play Planet Harriers, the Sega Hikaru Based quasi-sequal to space harrier? if so was it any good?
              I've never played it. I haven't heard any positive comments on it though. Not many people seemed to have played it, but those that have say it's pretty poor.

Most people expected a DC port, but sadly like Scud Race, Sega decided against it!

Comment

The game must be fantastically rare. I never, ever read a coment about it on a message board other than "has anybody played it?".

Amusement Vision games tend to be incredibly good in general so I can't see how it oculd have been poor.

Comment

The screenshots make it look a bit dodgy imo. I just wish I could play it and find out!

In 2000, people assumed it was scheduled for the Dreamcast. Take a look at this link: http://uk.dreamcast.ign.com/articles/088/088936p1.html
                  Last edited by Leon Retro; 14-04-2006, 22:43.

Comment

Originally posted by kingston lj
                    The screenshots make it look a bit dodgy imo. I just wish I could play it and find out!

In 2000, people assumed it was scheduled for the Dreamcast. Take a look at this link: http://uk.dreamcast.ign.com/articles/088/088936p1.html
                    I thought the shots made it look amazing at the time, and I was desperate for a DC conversion.

Even looking at them not it has that crisp, SEGA arcade look to it which I love. Real shame Sega let us down with no conversion.

Comment

Yeah was looking forward to a conversion on the DC aswell, guess we'll have to wait for it to be playable on MAME. On Space Harrier II side of things, the Amiga version was alot better than the MD version, just due to the fact that it moved a hell of alot better!! And i cant believe that they released, Space Harrier & After Burner on the 32X, but never Outrun, i could never understand that, as surely Outrun was the most popular one out of the 3??

Comment

Originally posted by Rebelli0n
                        Space Harrier II is a bit of a disapointment really. I don't think it was ever actually an arcade machine (outside of megadrive based multichoice cabinets) Not a patch on the original.

Oh, and talking of cover versions of the classic space harrier music

you have to see this

It seems to be taking place in a nathan barley style london pub. other than a few people, it starts off recieving a lukewarm, bemused reception, but he wins them around by stage 4 and the whole place can't get enough ... Love it, would have been great to be there.
                        That video pales next to the other one posted before by molloy (and a while ago in Off-topic). I know this is Space Harrier love but the Turrican rendition on the end of that is amazing

Comment

Hikaru board most prob ruled out a DC port, Though I never forgive AV for a no DC port of Monkey Ball . Remember reading this was rummored to be coming to the CUBE, shame it never happend That would have been perfect.

Comment

I ****ing loved planet harriers, it was in both sega park bournemouth and southampton, and played like a dream. ace music as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda
                              Hikaru board most prob ruled out a DC port, Though I never forgive AV for a no DC port of Monkey Ball . Remember reading this was rummored to be coming to the CUBE, shame it never happend That would have been perfect.
                              Not at all. It was slightly more powerful than Naomi, but plenty of arcade machines have been ported to less powerful systems.

I never really understood the point of Hikaru to be honest. Why not just use Naomi?

Comment

Originally posted by Strider
                                I ****ing loved planet harriers, it was in both sega park bournemouth and southampton, and played like a dream. ace music as well.
                                I haven't had the chance to play the game, and there haven't been many comments regarding it. If you say it's good, then I am happy to hear it. Maybe oneday I will find a machine, and finally make my own judgment.

It's good to hear the music is quality. Without a good tune, even Space Harrier wouldn't be so entrancing!

Comment

Working...
                                X