Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would be the ultimate Dreamcast swan song?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, promised was too strong a word, but Scud Racer was used a technical demo for the system, so I think most would have assumed it was going to be ported at some point.

Planet Harriers was heavily rumored in almost all of the Dreamcast magazines at the time, but I can't remember if that was before or after it was released in the arcade though, so it may have been assumed it was going to be Naomi based when they were discussing it.

Comment

Sort of off topic but wasn't the Scud Race demo programmed by Core Design, not Sega, sure I remember reading that years ago.

Comment

Bloody hell... Five pages in, and no-one's mentioned Thunder Force 6.

Comment

Originally posted by chis View Post
          Bloody hell... Five pages in, and no-one's mentioned Thunder Force 6.
          Wow, that video is a hell of a lot cooler than the other TF6 intro video thats been shown before.

It does make me wonder if the broken thunder vid is actually for another game, or a fan project of somekind.

Comment

I'm STILL waiting, Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Pharfetchd View Post
              Sort of off topic but wasn't the Scud Race demo programmed by Core Design, not Sega, sure I remember reading that years ago.
              I think Sega used a Scud Race tech demo to showcase the machines power to devs.

I remember reading that many devs were very impressed, and that it secured their support for the machine.

When Sega make retro remakes like Golden Axe, you think to yourself: " Why the hell do they do that, but didn't think releasing games like Scud Race for the Dreamcast would be succesful? "

Scud Race would have sold a decent amount of copies. In 99-2000, people were still hungry for arcade experiences, and most Dreamcast owners were often big fans of Sega games.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Ahoy! View Post
                When Sega make retro remakes like Golden Axe, you think to yourself: " Why the hell do they do that, but didn't think releasing games like Scud Race for the Dreamcast would be succesful? "

Scud Race would have sold a decent amount of copies. In 99-2000, people were still hungry for arcade experiences, and most Dreamcast owners were often big fans of Sega games.
                I agree would have sooner of had Scud Race as a launch title rather than the ****e WinCE Sega Rally 2, shame the closest we'll ever get to playing it on a console at the moment is the hidden track on Outrun 2

Comment

I'd like to see a proper version of Sega Rally 2 as well come to think of it.

Comment

Pen Pen Decathlon

Comment

I was a game developer back in PS1/N64/Dreamcast days and we had a Dreamcast dev kit (the tower pc looking one) and I have looked at length at the Scud Race demo it was in no way a playbale game, nor a playable level of the game.

It was just a pretty good approximation of the first track of Scud Race (should my memory serve me correctly) but with little (or perhaps no collision dectection against the scenery. I can't even remember if there was a car.

A link here:

Scude race demo

Comment

Yeah in the other tech demo there were 2 cars on screen racing around the track with headlights on , and then a nother one with a nice Metallic SEGA Logo .

I'm pretty sure the reason why the game was never ported was because SEGA couldn't get the rights to use Ferrari and Porsche cars for the home

Comment

Working...
                        X