No announcement yet.

Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was going to suggest what has been mentioned above r.e. current generation titles. Try and get sleeper hits or overlooked titles from this generation so that all people have to do is track down a copy of the game and then they can get involved.

Obviously there are going to be people who won't be interested each particular month because they've played that month's game to death but it may be worth a go to get more people involved. Off the top of my head suitable titles may include: EDF2017, Saints Row/2, Hitman: Blood Money (this would get my vote, actually), Lost Odyssey, Halo Wars.

It also might be interesting to try better known titles and see how people's reactions to certain games may have changed over the years - something like, say, LBP or Bioshock? It would provide people with an incentive to replay older titles which is often lost with so many decent quality new games being released throughout the year.

The other alternative is to go for PC games, with digital distribution services like Steam and GOG making it easier to get hold of these titles. I imagine less people here play PC games but there are plenty of classics which run on modern machines which would be worth revisiting: Hostile Waters, Sacrifice, System Shock 2, Thief/II, Grim Fandango, Ground Control.

Comment

I installed an old game a few weeks back whilst i was working abroad. Sanitarium on the PC. An old school RPG set in a nut house. Very similar-ish to Planescape Torment and well worth a play through as i thought it was superb. I can't believe i missed it when it came out although i knew about it at the time.

Heres a review if anyone fancies it:

Works under Vista and 7 too

Comment

I'd actually second nominating current gen stuff. As I got my 360 about 5-6 months back, I'm spending a lot of time 'catching up' and am having a lot of gaming pleasure in the process. I'm always behind with games right now, but I like it - it's a very pleasant, cheap way to approach gaming.

(Currently just started off Saints Row 2 on 360, I'd discuss that, plus it's out on both current gen consoles. I really like it, it's loads of fun, but it often gets TOO JERKY, and some of the 'feel' of the game resembles Midway's Roadkill on PS2/XB, and that's not necessarily a great thing, even though that game wasn't bad).

Comment

I'd agree with some current gen stuff, either full release or downloadables, I'll second a bash at Hitman: Blood Money as well. I rented it years ago and always meant to go back to it properly.

Sanitarium also sounds awesome I may just have a crack at that anyway, I'm enjoying some slow paced pointy, clicky on the PC. Have always meant to play Planescape Torment as well.

Comment

Don't know if it's already been mentioned, but what about Project Zero on the PS2 or F-Zero GX on the NGC?

Comment

The F-Zero games were done a few months back.

Old school Mario as New Super Mario Bros Wii is on many Christmas lists? Though I'd definitely go for Yoshi's Island given half a chance.

Comment

OK, thanks for the suggestions. Let's have some more for older current gen stuff (or 2nds for those mentioned above). Only one I have lying around is Kameo but don't know if it's any good. The graphics look amazing though.

Comment

Any interest in Planescape Torment? It's apparently £9.73 at The Hut now.

Comment

Is it PC only?

Comment

Yeah it is

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                        Only one I have lying around is Kameo but don't know if it's any good. The graphics look amazing though.
                        Kameo is a little under rated. It passed under the radar due to it being a Gamecube port. For the pittance it can be had for it's well worth playing.

Edit,

It would probably to too late for an xmas replay but with people travelling more than normal this time of year a puzzle/action puzzler topic might be an idea. Be it based around one series Tetris/puyo puyo or the general puzzle genre. Endless different versions that people would have and portable as well.
                        Last edited by Bort; 09-12-2009, 19:55.

Comment

Righty. Easy to get hold of cheap current gen games:

Xbox: Crackdown
                          PS3: Motorstorm

Either of those worth a replay?

Comment

I've just started a playthrough of BG&E which is available via Steam, if that's of any interest.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                              Righty. Easy to get hold of cheap current gen games:

Xbox: Crackdown
                              PS3: Motorstorm

Either of those worth a replay?
                              I only started playing Crackdown back in jan/feb when I first got a 360, thus I'm not too far into it. I'd love to play co-op with someone over the Xmas hols.

Comment

Originally posted by _y_ View Post
                                I've just started a playthrough of BG&E which is available via Steam, if that's of any interest.
                                We did BG&E about a year or so ago, though. It was great.

Comment

Working...
                                X