Japanese Megadrive Collecting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Megadrive Collecting

I'm sorely tempted to buy myself a Japanese MD and start collecting games for it. The Megadrive is one of my all time favourite consoles and despite some expensive prices, the look of the box art just seems to make it all worthwhile.

However, I have a few questions. Firstly, and most importantly, what would the best way to connect it to an HDTV be? I don't want to fork out all that money only for the games to look rubbish. I've no room for a CRT so it's HDTV only I'm afraid.

Secondly, and also important, is it worth it? I don't mind rebuying stuff I own PAL versions of but, as I have a Japanese Wii and therefore access to the Japanese Virtual Console, it's likely that most games I'll be buying will become available there over time for a fraction of the cost.

If anyone is in a similar position or has any advice I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

It's a great system to collect for. Although quite a few games are expensive, the majority aren't. Putting a decent SFC or Saturn collection together is way more expensive IMO.

If you can limit yourself to only buying an expensive game occasionally, it's relatively cheap and painless to amass a sizeable collection of good games.

While it's true a lot of the MD games will appear on the download services, or have done already, It'll probably still be worth it since I doubt the VC/XBLA will see the likes of Gleylancer and other uncommon games.

RGB Scart is the way to go. HDTV or not.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I think I'll take the plunge Now just gotta find someone selling one.

As for the RGB Scart, are they easy to come across? Can you recommend anywhere online to buy as Playasia seem to be out of stock of all cables.

Comment

I think Chaotic Jelly might be able to help you out Johnny. He did my switched megadrive and RGB and its brilliant!

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowDancer View Post
          I think Chaotic Jelly might be able to help you out Johnny. He did my switched megadrive and RGB and its brilliant!
          Does he sell MDs or just mod them?

Comment

I Believe he can do you a switched one at a good price. Depends if you just want a Japanese unit, or a switched PAL one.

I went switched because there are certain PAL games i wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowDancer View Post
              I Believe he can do you a switched one at a good price. Depends if you just want a Japanese unit, or a switched PAL one.

I went switched because there are certain PAL games i wanted.
              It's just a Japanese one really as I have a PAL one already. I sent him a PM anyway

Comment

If chaoticjelly can't sort you out with an RGB cable, I'll pass you on the deatils of the guy who provided me with mine. Came with a 1 year warranty on his work.

I have a Wii also (admittedly just a PAL one). All that happened when I did download one or two games on it through the VC was that I was left wanting the proper hardware and the games to go with it.

Good luck with the collecting, the Japanese boxart is something special on all the retro consoles.

Comment

Any cable I make comes with an (unspoken) lifetime warranty (fair wear and tear not covered though), ive seen these other cables the quality is shocking but anyone who has a problem doesnt give them the bad feedback as they are too scared of getting the same in return.

Check out the boxart for JPN Steel Empire (European title is Empire of Steel) then compare to the Euro one.. no comparison JPN wins hands down hahaha

Comment

Just to warn you johnny some jap games are overpriced compared to the western releases , Ok the jap copy might have a good cover but what would you rather pay a few pounds for a pal copy or up to ?50 quid for a jap copy.

Its not going to concern you if your a proper dedicated jap MD collecter but if you don't want to spend much money for basically the same game like.

Plus most of the cheapest common games can be better.

For instance a jap only shooter like Greylancer that costs loads of dosh can be counterd by a very cheap common shooter like thunder force 3 which is just as good if not better.

Comment

Japanese Megadrive games are one of the only retro formats I still buy. As mentioned the boxart is mostly great and there are so many great shooters available. I'd disagree about it being cheap though, there are far more expensive titles than for something like the SFC. This is proably due to the large number shooters and other such games which have no language barrier.

Comment

Along with the NG HES, the Jap Megadrive is one of the most easiest systems to collect for in the 16-bit generation. Boxes and contents are durable and here in Japan it shocks me still how little interest they had/have in the system. We always read growing up that the MD was 3rd in the race in Japan but until you see it on the street at retail in 2007 it becomes clear how badly Sega did. If they would of released a System 16 type home system with some Super Sprite Scaler tech., then I am sure it would of been a different story. Basically Japan never liked Sega in the home and I now truly understand why .
                        Last edited by JAPJAC; 25-08-2007, 14:26.

Comment

I love Jap Megadrive games. Not only do the boxes look stunning (well, a lot of the time...) but due to the plastic cases, it's quite easy to find games in good nick, even when searching boot fairs and markets. Plus, they stack better than SFC games (as they don't get crushed) and look more impressive on a shelf than say Jap Saturn/DC/PS1 stuff. Also, as people have already said, most of the better games are still pretty easy to find, and at decent prices.

Comment

what are the best resources on the internet for jap megadrive reviews etc?

Comment

sega-16 is the site I usually refer to, but if there's any others, i'd love to see 'em.

I'd like to get some Jap MD games, Snow Bros & Slap Fight, but they're hellishly expensive. Can you still play Jap games on a uk MD (switched) if all you do is hack the sides off the cartridge slot? That's what we did when we were kids anyway... wouldn't want one of those cartridge converters. They look poo!

Comment

Working...
                              X